GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box price drop, first thoughts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 17:46
Regular
As many of you know, the X-Box's price has recently droped. Everybody has different views on; both bad and good.

There's just a few things i'd like to say on the matter. Obviously, it's a good thing for X-Box fans, who haven't yet got an X-Box. It means that they're getting a better deal and the rest of their money can go towards games. £199 is a reasonable price for a console. But with the X-Box's price going down, will the PS2's to be competetive and then even the GameCube? There's a huge possability that this may happen. This might mean that GameCube prices will drop before launch.

It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan. They obviously thought that their console would be more popular and made the launch price high, but because of the failure they've had to bring it down. This won't make me buy an X-Box, i might have if the price was less at launch, but it shows how un-popular they are.

But this opinion might just be my bias Ninty side shining through without me knowing. But it's what i think. So what do you think of this price drop? Good and bad points.

RiCkOsS
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:14
I am rather chuffed by it all :)
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:18
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Well Sega, Konami and Capcom are making games for X-Box. Hardly the
> worst companies around.

I never said that the Japanese companies working on X-Box titles are BAD, I just said that the overall support from Japan is quite poor!

Sega, Capcom and Konami all rock, I know!
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:21
those three are the cream of the crop from japan so what more could you ask for :)
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thing is, plenty of Japanese games don't even make it over here which can be ashame when we miss out.

I've been keeping an eye on th GC as I'm first and foremost a gamesplayer. I don't pick a company and stick with them for life to show massive loyalty, its not as though Nintendo will shout "cheers mate !" personally to me (I'm not saying you are one of these people).

Thing is, I look at the GC line up for launch and the games coming out and I'm really not that impressed. Rogue Leader looks great and no doubt I'd pick up Resident Evil. Monkey Ball looks a laugh too, but after that, theres very little that interests me.

Take away the launches of both X-Box and GC, I see a lot more interesting X-Box releases on the way. From what I see of the number of GC games, its not going to be much better a selection than the N64 before it.

Its ashame people are so against the X-Box really. Its an excellent console but its being brushed aside by people more over hatred for Microsoft or insecurity over their usual personal favourites more than any real arguement to not own one - especially with the price drop.

When you really look into what the machine can do and what Microsoft want to do with the console, its hard not to be impressed. I know the hard drive is an old topic but it really is much more than a big built in memory card. It allows games developers to do so much more with their games which can lead to some excellent titles.

This isn't just keeping bullet holes in walls and bodies laying where you killed them. Characters can age, major things that have changed or been destroyed will be remembered and much larger playing fields can be created with huge loading times inbetween. Genres such as RPG's and FPS's can really benefit from the hard drive. Of course some will prefer the GC or PS2, but its just sad when a lot of the hate posts are idiots whining about stuff they haven't got a clue about or are just following a herd as it were.
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:51
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Meant to write without huge loading times by the way. ;-)
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:55
Great Post mate I totally agree
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:17
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I have to agree with Savat there. The Xbox is far better than what a lot of people think.

I am also very chuffed at the games and controller. I thought it was worth £300, so I bought it for £300. Then they give me two free games and a controller on top of it. Very nice.

Quick work by SR aswell. They have already made a banner!

http://195.216.17.32/banners/xbox_down_in_price.gif
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
RiCk0sS wrote:
> It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor
> sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan.

Nope it was 123,000 in the first 3 days. When I last looked they had sold about 200,000 overall.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:02
Regular

Does my bum look big in this?
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"

Microsoft are cacking themselves.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.