GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box price drop, first thoughts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 17:46
Regular
As many of you know, the X-Box's price has recently droped. Everybody has different views on; both bad and good.

There's just a few things i'd like to say on the matter. Obviously, it's a good thing for X-Box fans, who haven't yet got an X-Box. It means that they're getting a better deal and the rest of their money can go towards games. £199 is a reasonable price for a console. But with the X-Box's price going down, will the PS2's to be competetive and then even the GameCube? There's a huge possability that this may happen. This might mean that GameCube prices will drop before launch.

It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan. They obviously thought that their console would be more popular and made the launch price high, but because of the failure they've had to bring it down. This won't make me buy an X-Box, i might have if the price was less at launch, but it shows how un-popular they are.

But this opinion might just be my bias Ninty side shining through without me knowing. But it's what i think. So what do you think of this price drop? Good and bad points.

RiCkOsS
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:46
Regular
As many of you know, the X-Box's price has recently droped. Everybody has different views on; both bad and good.

There's just a few things i'd like to say on the matter. Obviously, it's a good thing for X-Box fans, who haven't yet got an X-Box. It means that they're getting a better deal and the rest of their money can go towards games. £199 is a reasonable price for a console. But with the X-Box's price going down, will the PS2's to be competetive and then even the GameCube? There's a huge possability that this may happen. This might mean that GameCube prices will drop before launch.

It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan. They obviously thought that their console would be more popular and made the launch price high, but because of the failure they've had to bring it down. This won't make me buy an X-Box, i might have if the price was less at launch, but it shows how un-popular they are.

But this opinion might just be my bias Ninty side shining through without me knowing. But it's what i think. So what do you think of this price drop? Good and bad points.

RiCkOsS
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:55
I think you'll find that Xbox has sold, in total, more than 4000 units in Japan.
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:57
Regular
Okay, i read somewhere it was 4000. But it's sold a considerable amount less than both the GameCube and the PS2.
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:59
"Right!!!!!™"
i think it's a good idea for the price drop so other people can try a diffrent consol for the same price as a old one good one microsoft :D
( i have ideas off getting one now )
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:00
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
It's certainly good news for those who were thinking of getting an X-Box, but even though the price has dropped so much, I'm still not bothered about getting one. The X-Box has poor developer support in Japan, which is where the best games come from, so I'm still not interested.
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:05
Regular
£200 pound is still a lot of money.

Are Microsoft gonna compensate all the mans who bought it for £300 just a month ago?
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:06
"The X-Box has poor developer support in Japan, which is where the best games come from"

That's down to personal opinion....

I'd much rather play a Halo or a PGR than a FF or a MGS, but that's just my view.
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:06
Or†ega wrote:
> Are Microsoft gonna compensate all the mans who bought it for
> £300 just a month ago?

Yup, we get two free games and a free controller.
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:08
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
OrÝega wrote:
> £200 pound is still a lot of money.
>
> Are Microsoft gonna compensate all the mans who bought it for
> £300 just a month ago?

I think they get 2 free games and a controller worth $115 in total, not bad eh?
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:14
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well Sega, Konami and Capcom are making games for X-Box. Hardly the worst companies around.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.