GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box price drop, first thoughts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 17:46
Regular
As many of you know, the X-Box's price has recently droped. Everybody has different views on; both bad and good.

There's just a few things i'd like to say on the matter. Obviously, it's a good thing for X-Box fans, who haven't yet got an X-Box. It means that they're getting a better deal and the rest of their money can go towards games. £199 is a reasonable price for a console. But with the X-Box's price going down, will the PS2's to be competetive and then even the GameCube? There's a huge possability that this may happen. This might mean that GameCube prices will drop before launch.

It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan. They obviously thought that their console would be more popular and made the launch price high, but because of the failure they've had to bring it down. This won't make me buy an X-Box, i might have if the price was less at launch, but it shows how un-popular they are.

But this opinion might just be my bias Ninty side shining through without me knowing. But it's what i think. So what do you think of this price drop? Good and bad points.

RiCkOsS
Fri 19/04/02 at 17:02
Regular
Damnit, you're lucky Grix. You have a Dreamcast, meanwhile GameCube owners have to put up with a Skies of Arcadia port from Points of View...
Thu 18/04/02 at 22:23
Regular
I'm going to go and play Skies of Arcadia now. Even with just an X-Box, two games, AND another controller, you won't be able to. I love my Dreamcast, if only for Skies of Arcadia. Best game ever.
Thu 18/04/02 at 22:21
Regular
"not dead"
My opinion on it is that it hasn't altered the games available on it, therefore it hasn't made it any more appealing.

I mean, I like Cherry Pop Tarts, I think they're great, so if, like, Chocolate Pop Tarts dropped in price, I wouldn't start eating them, as they just don't appeal as much.

The problem with the Xbox, for me, is still that the games don't offer what I want.

I reckon much of the casual gaming public look at the games, and look at what they already have on the PS2, and just aren't convinced. But maybe this price cut will convince them.
Thu 18/04/02 at 22:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Totoro wrote:
> "X-Box price drop, first thoughts"
>
> Microsoft are cacking themselves.

Not half as much as the competition.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"

Microsoft are cacking themselves.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:02
Regular

Does my bum look big in this?
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
RiCk0sS wrote:
> It's obvious why Microsoft put the price down, and that was poor
> sales. Only about 4000 consoles have been shifted in Japan.

Nope it was 123,000 in the first 3 days. When I last looked they had sold about 200,000 overall.
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:17
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I have to agree with Savat there. The Xbox is far better than what a lot of people think.

I am also very chuffed at the games and controller. I thought it was worth £300, so I bought it for £300. Then they give me two free games and a controller on top of it. Very nice.

Quick work by SR aswell. They have already made a banner!

http://195.216.17.32/banners/xbox_down_in_price.gif
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:55
Great Post mate I totally agree
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:51
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Meant to write without huge loading times by the way. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.