GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dangerously Low on Resources?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/04/02 at 20:10
Regular
Hi,

ive got bit of a dilemma which I need help with..

My Laptop comes up with a error message now and again

"Your computer is dangerously low on resources"

it then tells me to close down Explorer, word, basically any application or connection which I have open..

it then crashes and I have to reboot.

I know its not my HD because I have 5.33 GB free

so does anyone know what I can do to sort this problem out?

Thanks.
Thu 18/04/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
According to that article it maybe something to do with the OS I use and its probably quite accurate because everything else is running fine therefore I will upgrade to Windows 2000 to see if that helps. The price of the upgrade is steep, so i'll have to shop around thanks for all your help, especially Garin.

Cheers

Neo.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
AbsoluT Neo wrote:
> Thanks, i'll take a look.
>
> where could I get an upgrade of Win 2000 from?
> would I need to purchase it or does Microsoft provide it?

You have to buy it I'm afraid, you can check special reserve but I think they only carry Win 2000 Pro upgrade (Pro version is 150-200 pound I believe). Failing SR checkout dabscom and/or simplycomputers or something for it.

-G
Thu 18/04/02 at 15:42
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Thanks, i'll take a look.

where could I get an upgrade of Win 2000 from?
would I need to purchase it or does Microsoft provide it?
Wed 17/04/02 at 15:05
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Take a look at...

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-104

It doesn't offer much in the way of solutions, but at least it explains the effects you're getting and explains why that extra ram isn't the answer while on ME.

You might take a look at the questions and answers bit on the bottom to see if theres anything, also check the performance section on that site, it has general tips for dealing with such things.

As the site says, the long term solution is to upgrade to 2000 or XP, but then again I really wouldn't recommend either with only 128meg ram.

-G
Wed 17/04/02 at 02:12
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
AliBoy wrote:
> Try re-installing windows ME first. If that dosn't work then try
> either windows XP or a more up to date version than ME (can't remember
> hich are. Possibly 2000)

where can I get Windows 2000 upgrade from? do i need to buy it or will microsft give it out of their good hearts?
Tue 16/04/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Try re-installing windows ME first. If that dosn't work then try either windows XP or a more up to date version than ME (can't remember hich are. Possibly 2000)
Tue 16/04/02 at 20:00
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
AliBoy wrote:
> It is most likely caused by a poorly programmed application not
> releasing memory like it's suppose to. Or something has changed the
> way that it should work, virus maybe. Run a virus scan and defragment
> your hard disk. If that dosn't work then I guess all you can do is
> re-boot windows ME or upgrade it to another version which handle
> memory a little better.

I'll try that, where can I get an updaye from and what shud I update to?

im currently using Windows ME
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
at the moment, but it happens other times now and again,

ive tried deleting and re-installing MS WORD again (same and different versions of it)
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:46
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It is most likely caused by a poorly programmed application not releasing memory like it's suppose to. Or something has changed the way that it should work, virus maybe. Run a virus scan and defragment your hard disk. If that dosn't work then I guess all you can do is re-boot windows ME or upgrade it to another version which handle memory a little better.
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Does it only happen with MS WORD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.