GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dangerously Low on Resources?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/04/02 at 20:10
Regular
Hi,

ive got bit of a dilemma which I need help with..

My Laptop comes up with a error message now and again

"Your computer is dangerously low on resources"

it then tells me to close down Explorer, word, basically any application or connection which I have open..

it then crashes and I have to reboot.

I know its not my HD because I have 5.33 GB free

so does anyone know what I can do to sort this problem out?

Thanks.
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Hi,

ive got bit of a dilemma which I need help with..

My Laptop comes up with a error message now and again

"Your computer is dangerously low on resources"

it then tells me to close down Explorer, word, basically any application or connection which I have open..

it then crashes and I have to reboot.

I know its not my HD because I have 5.33 GB free

so does anyone know what I can do to sort this problem out?

Thanks.
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
If this helps its Spec:

Intel Pentium III
866 mhz
11.2 GB HD
120 MB RAM
Fri 12/04/02 at 23:50
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Maybe its because your computer is crap.
Sat 13/04/02 at 00:57
Regular
"How Handy."
And we insult the newbies...

Its possibly because you've got a load of crap running and eating your resources, whack ctrl + alt + del ONCE and do an End Task on everything but Explorer and Systray, then carry on working and see if it runs better.
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:00
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Wow, helpful comments there. What OS are you using? I had that problem with win9x a lot before I upgraded ram and box generally, tends to be a memory issue..

Have you always had this problem, or is it a recent occurance? New software, windows updates, app it always happens in? Possibly some bug I don't know of that can be sorted with virtual memory settings or suchlike..
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:02
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ditto what Whooo said and possibaly upgrade a bit on ram? But, ctrl + alt + del ONCE and End Task everything except Explorer and Systray should do the trick.
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:03
Hm..

Andi, how do you propose that you carry on working when you've only got the shell and systray running?

As for the original poster.. the best thing you could probably do is install more RAM. If you're running WinME, try changing to 2k, as it's much stabler.
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:06
Regular
"How Handy."
By opening stuff?? I didnt mean leave just those two running you wally..
Sat 13/04/02 at 08:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DLOR means you're out of RAM. You must be seriously multitasking. Closing some stuff helps, but that's only tempory. A restart is a longer term short term solution, a long term solution being installing more RAM.
Tue 16/04/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Thanks for the comments, I closed lots of stuff by pressing ctrl+alt+del
before but only a few, some of the things on there are not things that ive opened but think they open on either start up or whilst on the comp, im not sure what they are to be honest and as I didnt know this I didnt close them all earlier. However since closing them down and only leaving systray + explorer openin it has worked..

does this mean I install more RAM on my laptop or does it mean I can stop some process/apps opening in some way therefore less multi-tasking?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.