GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THAT. IS. IT."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/10/00 at 16:37
Regular
I have stayed calm when Sony claimed that it was the best console on the market. I didn't get too annoyed when Sony said that they didn't need a single game to sell loads of consoles, after all the publicity of Crash bandicoot in America. I turned my back on them when, in an American advert, they had a man dressed up as Crash playing a bullhorn and dancing outside Nintendo US headquarters.

But now...

I do not mind people buying Playstation 2, they will have a few good games, and I respect that. HOWEVER. I HATE SONY.

Nintendo were known as the "bully" of the games market with the NES, bullying third parties into developing for them only, but now Sony have claimed that title.

Sony held its Editors day about two weeks back, I read. They started off the presentation with a large group of editors with a few graphs, rubbishly made with PowerPoint. The slides came up with a graph, which Sony claimed that they had "interviewed" 18 publishers, the graph was titled "And PlayStation 2 Will Own A Dominant Market Share" and the graph showed that 0% of developers had voted that Dreamcast and Nintendo were the best, 6% had voted Microsoft, and the rest Sony.
There was an errie silence in the room, not my words, but a MSNBC reporter’s words. Someone asked: "How many developers did you ask before you came with those figures?" Laughter of editors. Silence of Sony.

Then the questioning, or interrogation, came.
"There are reports from Japanese gamers that the DVD player does not work correctly in Japan. Will the units in the US work properly?"
Straight to the point, I think. The answer:
"We are unaware of any problems in Japan."
That’s listening to customers for you. Everyone knows of the problem in Japan with the DVD players, everyone except Sony of course.
Remember when they said that the processor could "power missiles"! HA, even an AMD K7 could do that! As always, the advertising paid off, even though people were following without their intelligence.
Next:
"I have noticed that only one game due for release is actually made by Sony. (The firework "strategy" game.) I was just wondering if you could discuss the outlook for your software publishing and what kind of market on PlayStation 2 you are looking to get?”

Another straight to the point question. Once again:
"I don’t think we are going to make predictions here in terms of market shares, that’s always a very risky thing to do."

And to counter that "risky prediction" reply:

"I was noticing on some of your forecast slides the underperformance you expect out of consoles like the Gamecube and the X-Box. On one of the slides you put a big, fat zero in front of the Dreamcast. If there’s one thing the American consumer likes to do more than build a company up, it’s to tear it right back down. Do you have any sophomore jinxes? You have any concerns that maybe your time is due?”

Nicely put, I think. Sony replied:
"What I was trying to say is that the publisher community has great confidence in our platform and perhaps not too much confidence in some of the others that are going to be around then."
Someone muttered in the background: "Or perhaps the sample 17 of them..."

In case you are wondering the fate of Nintendo or Sega, here is a little fact for you. No games company has had two consecutive runs for the top of the console wars.
First was Nintendo, who stole the competition from Sega with the NES. Next, Sega managed to beat Nintendo with the Megadrive. Then Sony, with the Playstation.
Next? I say Nintendo or X-Box. Sega won't die, they will hang on well, and MANY publishers trust them, so don't let the "average" sample fool you from Sony.

As I said, I have no bias towards any console, but I have HAD IT with Sony.

By the way, for all those Sony devotees that will read this and become very angry, all I say is the truth, 100%. So arguing against this, is arguing against fact.
Mon 16/10/00 at 15:04
Do some of you on here work for Nintendo or Sega!!!!

That seems to be the only explanaition for your complete lack of objectivity. If you hate Sony fine but you will find that people will start ignoring you pretty quick if you dont ackowledge the things a system/company does well alongside the things that they do badly.

If everyone could afford to buy all the consoles like Snakeboy then we would not have all this ranting. Its just people who feel the need to defend their system and see the others fail in order to feel secure, that find it impossible to be objective.
Mon 16/10/00 at 14:54
Yes, of course. You have excuses for everything. Of course Sony have far darker motives than everyone else.
Mon 16/10/00 at 13:06
Regular
Nintendo did buy Rare but it benfited Rare because it meant that they got exclusive help from Nintendo themselves. Sony on the other hand simply want exclusive games from psygnosis and won't help them make better games in any way!
Mon 16/10/00 at 00:06
Excellent, snakeboy. That's what it should be about - but what you want, and forget what you don't want.

If only there were more people with that way of thinking.
Sun 15/10/00 at 23:37
None of this matters to me because i'll be having each of the next-gen consoles. Everyone should stop complaining about the PS2 and the gamecube and all of the other consoles and just praise the console of their choice.
Sun 15/10/00 at 22:37
> But the only company that seems as its going to monopolise the
> market is Sony.

And that must not be allowed to happen. Now that Sega and Nintendo seem to have got their acts together, as I've already said, the 128-bit era will - I think - see much less dominance by Sony.

> Ever since the megadrive/Snes days, Sega and
> Nintendo have had an understanding. At first, Nintendo wanted no
> competition, and tried to buy out a lot of developers, a lot like
> what Sony and Microsoft are doing now.

They're not buying out developers - they're trying to get them to sign up to develop for their machines. There is a difference. Sony bought Psygnosis, Nintendo bought Rare.

At the end of the day, developers have game ideas, and will migrate to any platforms that let them turn those ideas into games.
Sun 15/10/00 at 22:32
>1st Lee, Nintendo came up with the idea of Playstation
>- they designed it and everything, but then made the
>mistake in thinking it would be a failure and so sold the idea to sony.

Well, maybe that says more about Nintendo than it does about Sony.

>Now - you say Sony are fair to their customers - maybe - but isn't the PSone a big rip off?

Eh? How so? All it is, is a re-designed PlayStation, which sells at the same price as the original machine. How is that a rip off? It's positioned as an entry-level machine for people that want a console, but either don't want - or can't afford - a PS2. It's also serving to prolong the life of the machine for those who own an original PS, as developer will continue to make PS1 games for a while longer.

If Sony had simply stopped producing the machine, developers would have stopped developing for it much sooner, forcing people to upgrade. Then people like you would be saying that Sony were ripping people off by forcing them to upgrade! Seems they can't win whatever they do.

> Oh, and all games companies are in it for the money, but some actually bother to be inventive - like putting ARcades out - when did sony ever release an Arcade?

Indeed, Sony have never produced for the arcades - but why does that matter? And there have been plenty of orignial original and inventive games on PlayStation, as there have all other formats.
Sun 15/10/00 at 21:38
Regular
Why does everyone hate sony?
It's like Manchester United football team, you're either a glory boy who supports them because you like the winning side or you support someone else and hate the because they literally buy their victories:

*Games companies and advertiser is what Sony buy.
*Players that are trained and brought up by other clubs is what Man U buy.

The sad thing about Nintendo and Sega being overshadowed is that it's only due to marketing. Sega and Nintendo/Rare come up with all the best games and even when sony does get a good game, it's been made by another company who could just as easily make games for Nintendo and Sega machines.

That is why we all want Sony to die horribly and painfully in the games market leaving "healthy" competition ("healthy" not "downright dangerous") between Sega and Nintendo. And it Sega or Nintendo fail a console, Nintendo can survive on hand helds while thay get back on their feet and Sega can live off superb arcade games. That way we'll have a stable games market!

Which I will one day make games for!
Sun 15/10/00 at 15:27
Regular
But the only company that seems as its going to monopolise the market is Sony. Ever since the megadrive/Snes days, Sega and Nintendo have had an understanding. At first, Nintendo wanted no competition, and tried to buy out a lot of developers, a lot like what Sony and Microsoft are doing now.

I think they learnt to run side by side, and to let eachother make games, and they respect eachother for doing so.

Shigsy has recently said he enjoys playing Samba da something, on the Dreamcast! He likes to play it with his kids.
Sun 15/10/00 at 15:14
1st Lee, Nintendo came up with the idea of Playstation - they designed it and everything, but then made the mistake in thinking it would be a failure and so sold the idea to sony.

Now - you say Sony are fair to their customers - maybe - but isn't the PSone a big rip off?

Oh, and all games companies are in it for the money, but some actually bother to be inventive - like putting ARcades out - when did sony ever release an Arcade?

bUT, u r RIGHT.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.