GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare(ly true) rumours"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 18:03
Regular
How many more rumours do we have to face? First we get the Rare christmas card that everyone takes as 'oh, look, that obviously means Rare are going multi-format', then we have an April fool that Shigsy is leaving Nintendo, and now there are rumours of Rare being bought up by Activision!

Why are the rumours about Nintendo always rumours that, if true, would be bad for the company? I don't believe that Activision have bought out Rare, Nintendo would have to be stupid to let that happen!

But why do Nintendo always get runours that are bad? These spread like wildfire. And one minute loyal PS2 fan#1 is saying "Ah, all your silly games on N64 were for kiddies" and the next minute he's saying "ah, cool, looks like Rare are going multi-format!" and you're left wondering why he would want to play games from Rare, the developers of 'kiddie' N64 games. Shigsy leaving Nintendo was a dubious rumour, and suspected April Fool from the word go, but now we get this rumour.

Rare being bought up? Again, I have serious doubts about the truth of this. If Nintendo are confident enough to place major mascots such as Donkey Kong and Starfox in the hands of Rare, they must be quite sure that they are going to have a long term relationship with Rare, as they already have had with Rare developing the Donkey Kong Country and Land series on the SNES and the Game Boy. Also, apart from Nintendo, Rare are probably the best reason to buy a GameCube. Rare games are some of the highest quality in the gaming industry, and can usually rival the efforts of even Nintendo. And I think Nintendo must realise this by now, so would be wary of anyone else trying to muscle in on Rare.

Anyway, there's enough rambling for one post, we'll have to wait and see if the rumour is true, but I have severe reservations about it holding any water.
Tue 16/04/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Alex -vampire hunter wrote:
> What you all forget ,like many, is that Rare will NEVER develop for
> someone else as Rare are part owned by Nintendo

About 40%+ I believe.
Tue 16/04/02 at 11:27
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
What you all forget ,like many, is that Rare will NEVER develop for someone else as Rare are part owned by Nintendo
Mon 15/04/02 at 17:36
Regular
"-_-"
Yeah but did ne1 see the christmas tree christmas card?
It had a gamecube xbox and ps2 shaped boxes
Ill email ne1 it if vey want
Sun 14/04/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I doubt Nintendo would let Rare be bought out. They would really, really want Rare more than Activision and I somehow reckon they wouldn't care how much they paid considering what Goldeneye did for the N64. I think these rumours may have stemmed from Microsaoft, who have started rumours of a Christma 2002 GameCube release before and Microsoft were in the story....
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:40
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The guy who posted last before me.

:)
Sat 13/04/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Cooky wrote:
> Part of what you said ain't totally true!
>
> ;)

Who were you talkin to?
Sat 13/04/02 at 15:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Go read FOG Prime!

Sat 13/04/02 at 14:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Part of what you said ain't totally true!

;)
Sat 13/04/02 at 13:51
It is amasingly, spectacularly, stupendusly unlikely. Partly because of the relationship rare and ninty have with each other, very close ( not in a romantic way!). also rare is part owned by ninty so unless it would have benifited nintendo in some bizzare and comical way, I dont think they would of botherd. Trust.
Sat 13/04/02 at 13:45
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I'm trying to look up about Runge-Kutta and Euler's equations of motion so that I can create a decent particle system at the moment thought!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.