GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare(ly true) rumours"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 18:03
Regular
How many more rumours do we have to face? First we get the Rare christmas card that everyone takes as 'oh, look, that obviously means Rare are going multi-format', then we have an April fool that Shigsy is leaving Nintendo, and now there are rumours of Rare being bought up by Activision!

Why are the rumours about Nintendo always rumours that, if true, would be bad for the company? I don't believe that Activision have bought out Rare, Nintendo would have to be stupid to let that happen!

But why do Nintendo always get runours that are bad? These spread like wildfire. And one minute loyal PS2 fan#1 is saying "Ah, all your silly games on N64 were for kiddies" and the next minute he's saying "ah, cool, looks like Rare are going multi-format!" and you're left wondering why he would want to play games from Rare, the developers of 'kiddie' N64 games. Shigsy leaving Nintendo was a dubious rumour, and suspected April Fool from the word go, but now we get this rumour.

Rare being bought up? Again, I have serious doubts about the truth of this. If Nintendo are confident enough to place major mascots such as Donkey Kong and Starfox in the hands of Rare, they must be quite sure that they are going to have a long term relationship with Rare, as they already have had with Rare developing the Donkey Kong Country and Land series on the SNES and the Game Boy. Also, apart from Nintendo, Rare are probably the best reason to buy a GameCube. Rare games are some of the highest quality in the gaming industry, and can usually rival the efforts of even Nintendo. And I think Nintendo must realise this by now, so would be wary of anyone else trying to muscle in on Rare.

Anyway, there's enough rambling for one post, we'll have to wait and see if the rumour is true, but I have severe reservations about it holding any water.
Fri 19/04/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hmm... intriguing... where will the rumours end?

Anyway, we do get some games (most notabley some sports titles and US/UK developed 1st person shooters) in the UK before Japan... Perfect Dark I think was released pretty much the same time in the UK and US, and then Japan later. And was Conker actually released in Japan...??? It just doesn't really seem to me to be the kind of game the Japanese would latch on to...

ah well... the rumours continue...
Fri 19/04/02 at 17:50
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I'm really curious as to the Microsoft involvement with Rare now after what someone told me today.

You remember a guy called Ken Lobb? Use to work for Nintendo OA and quit and joined Microsoft. Well he use to be the main guy who did dealings between Rare and Nintendo OA. He's been seen having meeting with Rare, so..... I'll leave you to form your own opinions!

:)
Fri 19/04/02 at 17:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, these games like Donkey Kong and Perfect Dark may be developed by Rare but they are still published by Nintendo. And being a Japan-based company, I unfortunately think that once again, we are left till last with the top games - yo yoing back from one country to the other.

But I could be wrong! I've never noticed before as i've never really payed much attention to the launch of Rare games before.
But being Brittish-based developers, I believe we should get them first!
But it can also work well for Rare in the worldwide market!
Fri 19/04/02 at 13:06
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i like Rare cos they are ENGLISH

based in england

meaning we get rare games before the japenese (i think)
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:07
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
I hope Rare will go multiformat. I own a N64, and without a doubt they made the best games for the format.

I also own a PS2 as a next gen console, because I have gotten older, and Sony have certain games that I wnt to play that will never appear on Nintendo Consoles (GTA3). I also think that nintendo have made grevious errors with the gamecube and its games. (cell shading zelda, memory card size, 1.5gb disks etc)

I think the company would do well as multiconsole. Remember, Nintendo only own part of Rare, and not a majority, so if the company wanted, they could out-vote the Nintendo part and go multiconsole.

At which point would nintendo really pull the plug (by taking franchises such as Donkey Kong etc away from Rare??. I don't think so.

Rare will continue to produce quality games on whatever format - so all of you with a GC on pre order don't worry!!!!!
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:54
Also - i just read a letter from ninty on cube wbsite. Here is a copy.

"Hello,

I'm glad you asked! The status between RARE and Nintendo has not changed. Star Fox Adventures is estimated to be released this fall for the NINTENDO GameCube.

Thanks for writing. I hope you have a great day!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Sue Page"

Looks like it just aint going to happen. phew. Even so, there was almost no chance at all of it beint tue anyway.
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:48
Cooky wrote:
> Part of what you said ain't totally true!
>
> ;)

Oh, prey, what might that be then?!
Tue 16/04/02 at 16:51
"High polygon count"
Personally I don't care one way or the other, but you may find this interesting...

From http://ps2.ign.com/articles/357/357301p1.html

A Rare Situation
There is a phenomenal amount of hubbub surrounding the recent story of Rare, the most prominent and important second-party developer in Nintendo's stable. The details are far from clear, and the rumors are growing ridiculously out of proportion by the minute, but from what we can gather, there are a few details that are reliable.

First, Rare is at the end of a five-year contract with Nintendo and both parties are at the negotiating table, discussing what they want, and how to resign another contract. Nintendo owns a minority stake in the private company, with the Stamper Brothers owning the majority. Sources say that neither party is interested in resigning the contract, and with the phenomenal amount of change going on at Nintendo of America, there's reason to believe that the two may be parting ways. Either that, or they resign a different kind of contract, one that positions Rare as a third-party developer, or perhaps even as a publishers of its own games on various systems.

The fact is Rare could potentially make a lot more money if it did strike out on its own, reaping higher profits with multiple skus, and working with multiple publishers. We all know the company has the ability to create unbelievably fun games, so why should they share the wealth on all systems? But the possible parting of the twain also spells trouble for Nintendo, whose harem of second-party companies is slowly dwindling (Left Field, Retro), and Rare has, pardon the pun, rarely let Nintendo down. Just look at what it did for N64 -- Blast Corps, Goldeneye 007, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Kazooie 2, Perfect Dark, and Conker's bad Fur Day.

And to think, all of this started from an innocent little Christmas card. Sheesh.
Tue 16/04/02 at 14:55
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Must be more than that. Surely.
Tue 16/04/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
They only own 25% me'sa thinks!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.