GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google and Mobile sites ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/03/15 at 14:29
Regular
It appears google say that they will penalize non mobile enabled websites on mobile device searches

do I need now to have a mobile site if so how does one go about that ?
Tue 17/03/15 at 09:15
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dograt wrote:
Have now changed some of the links in the content as this seems to be some of the cause of the links to close together, to me it all seems pretty pointless though as it makes the site look messy on a PC bit of a non starter me thinks, like HHMMM says i didnt mind picnching and zooming before and my site looked ok now it looks pants LOL

Just the content doesnt fit screen bit and I have NO idea about that !

Good old google gotta love em,

Playing into the hands of companies that have £1000's to pay for SEO and web design :-(

I kind of think this may all be a bit of a "storm in a teacup" at the end of the day.

Not sure Google really want to go down the road of not returning the most suitable content in a search, just because mobile users would have to perform one extra operation that they have been performing 300 times a day for the past six years.

Doesn't that just make them an unreliable search facility?

But then, like everything else, it's the little guy that has to comply, just to keep up, just in case...
Tue 17/03/15 at 07:24
Regular
Have now changed some of the links in the content as this seems to be some of the cause of the links to close together, to me it all seems pretty pointless though as it makes the site look messy on a PC bit of a non starter me thinks, like HHMMM says i didnt mind picnching and zooming before and my site looked ok now it looks pants LOL

Just the content doesnt fit screen bit and I have NO idea about that !

Good old google gotta love em,

Playing into the hands of companies that have £1000's to pay for SEO and web design :-(
Mon 16/03/15 at 12:31
"Are you sure?"
Re. "IP Thread" - No problem, I only mentioned that as at first I didn't know if people wanted to discuss 'mobile friendly' issues with all types of site, but I could see this was really focusing in InstantPro websites.

Google are a bit cheeky though...

The Google blog post I linked to earlier uses maximum-scale=1.0 in it's viewport tag. This means that mobile users aren't able to pinch/zoom the page! Many people would want to look at the text heavy page with a larger view and aren't able - that's not what I call "mobile firendly" ! ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site

EDIT:
Here's my recent comment to Google Webmasters via Twitter:
Content is King
Mon 16/03/15 at 12:12
Regular
Thanks Hmmm, Chasfh, Dograt,

Apologies if this should be an IP thread really.

" This still leaves me with:
Content wider than screen
Links too close together "

Yep, that's exactly where I am too. Although my site does have plenty of other issues besides these, needs a lot more work I know, but that's probably more suited to a different thread.

http://www.synths.co

I've done more or less the same as Dograt, Viewport Meta, plus going for the largest Nav buttons within the CMS that I can get away with that fit, and increased the font sizes too. So I'll see how that plays out for a while.

It seems that it's mainly to avoid/reduce the requirement for pinch-zooming and horizontal scrolling on mobiles.
Sun 15/03/15 at 21:02
Regular
It only seems to work on the very largest buttons just the one style, it makes the site look hideous !

http://www.yeovilpestcontrol.co.uk/

this is the site its working on
Sun 15/03/15 at 16:45
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dograt wrote:
Yes that seems to work using the larger menu buttons knocks out the links to close together, on one of my sites but not the other ?

Only for one of them? seems a little odd...

Can't really see how, if both are using the same nav style, surely the same test should report based on the same criteria. At least you'd think so, wouldn't you?

I wonder how defined the "rules" are then?
Sun 15/03/15 at 13:47
Regular
Yes that seems to work using the larger menu buttons knocks out the links to close together, on one of my sites but not the other ?
Sun 15/03/15 at 13:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Some of the nav styles actually include larger fonts and buttons, which "pass" on the mobile-friendly tests. You could try one of those (just look for the larger button themes).

I suspect that at some stage there will be some themes marked as "mobile friendly", but I'm not entirely sure what the plan is with this at the moment.

Good call on the custom meta tag though!
Sun 15/03/15 at 13:26
Regular
Thanks as always

I have added the meta tag as per your thread but still get 2 warnings

Links to close together

I have no idea how to rectify this

I really cant afford to loose position on google for us as we have do have some pretty big players in our market up against us and for a while now we have managed to more or less keep up, dont want to have to go down the route of paying someone yet but may have to if this goes bad

please help freeola peeps
Sun 15/03/15 at 12:28
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dingo's Baby and welcome to the forum!

I guess this is an 'Instant Pro' thread as Dograt also has an IP website...

The options available for mobile friendly / responsive websites will be different for InstantPro sites and non-IP sites.

Obviously with Instant Pro you haven't got complete control and need to work within the site builder / CMS.

I've been looking at non-InstantPro sites myself but thought I would have a quick look at what can be done with an IP site.

You can resolve Google's Text too small to read and Mobile viewport not set warnings by adding a viewport custom meta tag.
It sounds like Dingo may have already done this.
@Dingo perhaps you could post a link to your site?

Within the editor use:
Search Engine Tools > Manage Meta Tags > Custom Meta Tags (tab) and add:

This still leaves me with:
Links too close together

My IP test page: Mobile Friendly

Perhaps Freeola could look at introducing a 'mobile friendly' theme like other CMSs use for those that want a responsive site?

As chasfh hinted at, I'm also not sure how Google's mobile friendly plans will pan out! I believe Google's warning flag will only be added to mobile searches - I'm quite happy to zoom a normal site on my mobile so hopefully Google won't go overboard with things!

Google are planning on introducing these changes on April 21st 2015. More details from Google

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.