GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google and Mobile sites ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/03/15 at 14:29
Regular
It appears google say that they will penalize non mobile enabled websites on mobile device searches

do I need now to have a mobile site if so how does one go about that ?
Tue 24/03/15 at 14:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Read an article today which seems to suggest that the "mobile friendly" criteria will ONLY affect "mobile searches". So, desktop users will see different search results from mobile users...

A windows 8 tablet at 7 inches behaves and appears as a PC on your network. What results would it receive in a search?

All seems a little over-complicated to me.
Tue 24/03/15 at 09:05
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
I particularly liked this comment Hmmm:

"Terrible. Cross platforms for multiple devices don't work.

If users wants pictures and videos and dumbed down reporting on their useless little iPads and iPhones then let them have it. Serious users will use laptops and desktop computers."

So who really cares or bothers? Seems I have at least one supporter out there in the big wide world ot technology! ;¬)

More than one, DL...

As I said, I'm still not entirely sure where this whole thing is heading, or indeed how much actual impact it'll have on search results. I suspect not much, but who knows?
Mon 23/03/15 at 22:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I particularly liked this comment Hmmm:

"Terrible. Cross platforms for multiple devices don't work.

If users wants pictures and videos and dumbed down reporting on their useless little iPads and iPhones then let them have it. Serious users will use laptops and desktop computers."

So who really cares or bothers? Seems I have at least one supporter out there in the big wide world ot technology! ;¬)
Mon 23/03/15 at 15:48
"Are you sure?"
The BBC NEWS website switched to a responsive/mobile design today just before 2pm.

I hope the BBC techies have thick skins as the feedback doesn't look good at the moment: BBC INTERNET BLOG

I thought I would copy them and have started my first look at responsive web design. I've started a demo of the unsemantic grid system

Never mind what it looks like, at least Googe's Mobile Friendly Test reports: Awesome! This page is mobile-friendly

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 18/03/15 at 11:32
"Are you sure?"
The SEO marketeers wouldn't normally use AdWords, they would offer to optimise your site and use incoming link strategies, social media, etc. etc. to create interest and improve search results.

You can guarantee a placing with AdWords - but you might need deep pockets depending on your competition.
But as you say only so many people can be seen on page 1.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 18/03/15 at 11:18
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]...I don't see how [I]anyone
can give you a first page result guarantee.[/i]

There is a way: AdWords!

I wonder if Google will be adding a "NOT MOBILE FRIENDLY" warning to people who have paid for AdWords?!

It will be interesting if they still think it's such a problem...

PS. I still LOVE Google!
[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

You've kind of missed my point, and at the same time confirmed my doubts..

If everyone does adwords, who goes to the front? How many people can pay to be at the front of the queue?
...And ARE they affected by the "mobile-friendly" thing?
Wed 18/03/15 at 10:50
"Are you sure?"
chasfh wrote:
...I don't see how [I]anyone can give you a first page result guarantee.[/i]

There is a way: AdWords!

I wonder if Google will be adding a "NOT MOBILE FRIENDLY" warning to people who have paid for AdWords?!

It will be interesting if they still think it's such a problem...

PS. I still LOVE Google!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 18/03/15 at 09:57
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dograt wrote:
Yes Google have the power to break a business like ours with the push of a key, up until now we have managed to more or less keep up with the big boys and maintain a reasonable position for our search terms relative to cost.

I did have a company in to talk about SEO but the figures they were quoting were ridiculous to a small company like ours

Yup, not entirely sure how much good they do for that money. I seem to hear lots of wild and fantastic claims about getting a site on the first page, but logically speaking, just how much "real estate" is there to sell on that first page? If everyone does the SEO thing, where do you end up?

Add into that mix the somewhat ludicrous changes that seem to be happening to search engine criteria just lately, and in honesty I don't see how anyone can give you a first page result guarantee.
Tue 17/03/15 at 20:56
Regular
Yes Google have the power to break a business like ours with the push of a key, up until now we have managed to more or less keep up with the big boys and maintain a reasonable position for our search terms relative to cost.

I did have a company in to talk about SEO but the figures they were quoting were ridiculous to a small company like ours
Tue 17/03/15 at 19:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
But then, like everything else, it's the little guy that has to comply, just to keep up, just in case...

Megalomania me thinks on Google's behalf ... ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.