GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"too many buttons"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 11:09
Regular
i`m on about the gamecube controller. i`m not saying there is too many buttons for the person using it to control because it fits snug in your hand and the only real difficulty (once you get your head around the Z button being on top instead of on the back) is finding the B button. all the talk that it is hard to reach the kidny buttons (Y and X) is just talk and as easy as trying to find and AOL disc in your mail. so what i really mean by there being to many buttons is that game developers are finding it hard to make moves for every button (i mean real moves not changeing tactics in fifa 2002). you see i was playing on a gamecube at my local currys and i found out i wasn`t using the d-pad(which is ok i know it`s there for another option instead of the anologue stick) and the c-stick, and Y. ok ok yes it could be that one game but when i went home and looked at my mag (which gives you all the control options) i realised not all of the buttons are in use. so my main wory is that nintendo have introduced to many buttons and games companys will think they need to use them all and decide to work on another console (yes ok very rare this will happen but you never know). I just hope this isn`t the down fall of the gamecube like it was for specs that did it for nintendo ^$ (explianed in my other topic named "i cracked it".
Tue 09/04/02 at 11:09
i`m on about the gamecube controller. i`m not saying there is too many buttons for the person using it to control because it fits snug in your hand and the only real difficulty (once you get your head around the Z button being on top instead of on the back) is finding the B button. all the talk that it is hard to reach the kidny buttons (Y and X) is just talk and as easy as trying to find and AOL disc in your mail. so what i really mean by there being to many buttons is that game developers are finding it hard to make moves for every button (i mean real moves not changeing tactics in fifa 2002). you see i was playing on a gamecube at my local currys and i found out i wasn`t using the d-pad(which is ok i know it`s there for another option instead of the anologue stick) and the c-stick, and Y. ok ok yes it could be that one game but when i went home and looked at my mag (which gives you all the control options) i realised not all of the buttons are in use. so my main wory is that nintendo have introduced to many buttons and games companys will think they need to use them all and decide to work on another console (yes ok very rare this will happen but you never know). I just hope this isn`t the down fall of the gamecube like it was for specs that did it for nintendo ^$ (explianed in my other topic named "i cracked it".
Tue 09/04/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I think there are enough buttons on the controller to be used easily. I bet that when Zelda and Mario come out, they will use all the buttons. Give it time. Developers will adjust to the amount of buttons soon.
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:30
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Not including start/select:

PS2 = 12 buttons plus 2 sticks
XBox = 12 buttons plus 2 sticks (treating triggers as buttons)
GC = 11 buttons plus 2 sticks

So, if you think Gamecube has got too many, you'll be lost with the PS2 or XBox pads!!

All your talk of "Nintendo introducing too many buttons" and "Developers jumping to another console cos' the Gamecube pad has too many buttons" is complete nonsense!! Just take a look at the numbers above to prove that!
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:48
GpotterUK wrote:

PS2 = 12 buttons plus 2 sticks
XBox = 12 buttons plus 2 sticks (treating triggers as buttons)
GC = 11 buttons plus 2 sticks

ok ok but think

PS2 = 8 buttons and a d-pad (the two sticks are used instead of the d-pad so develpers give the d-pad and stick the same controls) total including each direction counting as a button (movement, also only countingthe d-pad becuase like i say the stick is the same. total = 16

XBOX = 8 buttons and a d-pad (the d-pad and stick on the left use same controls like the ps2 and the stick on the right is the same as the ones on the left just it`s for left handed players) total = 16

gamecube = 7 buttons and a d-pad (ok sounds like they have less now BUT the d-pad and stick on the left is the same but the stick on the right is a diffrent thing all together)
total = 23

and if you think i`m wrong i`m not. just play some games on the formats and you`ll know wot i mean.
Tue 09/04/02 at 13:52
Regular
"-_-"
it hasn't got too many buttons ther are three shoulder buttons ps2 has 4.etc it hasn't got too many buttons wot r u on about?
I would under stand if this wos about the xbox controller because thats huge and has tons of buttons
Tue 09/04/02 at 14:04
boz is right it does have more.

i`ve played on all the next gen consoles and all the games i`ve played on ps2 and xbox use the stick in the same controls they use the d-pad when the gamecube doesn`t so they have one less button but an extra stick giving u an extra 7 buttons in all.

but i disagree that it will make companys go to ps2 or xbox because it just means they can add more if they want they wont think it`s got ot be used. so it could even work to their advantage.
Tue 09/04/02 at 16:32
Regular
The PS2 has:

Triangle
Circle
Square
Cross
R1
R2
L1
L2
R3
L3
plus the 4 main directions on the D-pad

so that equals 14 buttons...

GameCube:

D-pad (4 directions)
A
B
X
Y
L
R
Z

That's 11

X-box, well I never actually counted whilst playing in the shops so I don't know :)
Tue 09/04/02 at 16:43
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
I've just got my Spice controller from Canada and the controller is great, but if you remeber the D-pad was rarely used on the N64 controller and even if button's aren't used surely it does n't really matter !
Tue 09/04/02 at 16:53
Edgy wrote:
> The PS2 has:

Triangle
Circle
Square
Cross
R1
R2
L1
L2
R3
L3
plus
> the 4 main directions on the D-pad

so that equals 14
> buttons...

GameCube:

D-pad (4 directions)
A
B
X
Y
L
R
Z

That's
> 11

X-box, well I never actually counted whilst playing in the shops so I don't know.

ok your correct about playstation yes it has 14 buttons
but you forgot to include the c stick on the gamecube so thats and extra 8 movements. why can`t anyone got it round their head go on touch the nipple of the next gen entertainment
Tue 09/04/02 at 17:55
Regular
Boz wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> The PS2
> has:

Triangle
Circle
Square
Cross
R1
R2
L1
L2
R3
L3
plus
> the
> 4 main directions on the D-pad

so that equals 14
>
> buttons...

GameCube:

D-pad (4
> directions)
A
B
X
Y
L
R
Z

That's
> 11

X-box, well I never
> actually counted whilst playing in the shops so I don't know.

ok your correct
> about playstation yes it has 14 buttons
but you forgot to include the c stick
> on the gamecube so thats and extra 8 movements. why can`t anyone got it round
> their head go on touch the nipple of the next gen entertainment

I thought we weren't including analgue sticks though...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.