GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"too many buttons"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 11:09
Regular
i`m on about the gamecube controller. i`m not saying there is too many buttons for the person using it to control because it fits snug in your hand and the only real difficulty (once you get your head around the Z button being on top instead of on the back) is finding the B button. all the talk that it is hard to reach the kidny buttons (Y and X) is just talk and as easy as trying to find and AOL disc in your mail. so what i really mean by there being to many buttons is that game developers are finding it hard to make moves for every button (i mean real moves not changeing tactics in fifa 2002). you see i was playing on a gamecube at my local currys and i found out i wasn`t using the d-pad(which is ok i know it`s there for another option instead of the anologue stick) and the c-stick, and Y. ok ok yes it could be that one game but when i went home and looked at my mag (which gives you all the control options) i realised not all of the buttons are in use. so my main wory is that nintendo have introduced to many buttons and games companys will think they need to use them all and decide to work on another console (yes ok very rare this will happen but you never know). I just hope this isn`t the down fall of the gamecube like it was for specs that did it for nintendo ^$ (explianed in my other topic named "i cracked it".
Sun 14/04/02 at 21:04
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
look i'm holding one in my hand right now and the only thing i have to critise about it is the z button being that you have to move your finger away from r to get to it!
Sun 14/04/02 at 20:57
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I think the controller is perfect. Especially once you've held the X-Box's controller which weighs about a ton.
Thu 11/04/02 at 22:30
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Everyone will get used to it once weve all had them for a week or so. I thought that i would never get used to n64's 'weird' controller. Im sure it will be just fine :)j
Thu 11/04/02 at 11:55
I actually found the controller more comfy to hold then with
no controller at all! Also the R & L buttons have the nice
click at the bottom. i couldnt stop clicking!. I can see your point about the b button , mind you , i reckon you just need to learn it better.
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:52
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I used the offical controller for about 10 minutes and i thought it has stuck to my hand it was so comfortable. Me being a lefty i thought that it may feel a little un comfortable but no, i had no problems. I must admit that i like the position of the z button better on the n64 controller than on the cube positioned above the right shoulder button.
> i have also noticed that on some pictures of the controller the start button is red and on other pictures it was grey. In the shop it was grey. :)j
Wed 10/04/02 at 17:44
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
when i first saw the game cube controller it looked very strange, and i thought the people at nintendo had gone mad but when i actually used one it was pretty good. nice and comfortable.
Wed 10/04/02 at 15:56
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
The controller is great, i've got one !
Wed 10/04/02 at 15:53
You never know, they might launch a modified version of the N64's controller to give gamers more choice. I for one have played GC's Waverace and found the controller intuitive and comfortable. But I guess it's another option.
Wed 10/04/02 at 12:43
I wrote:

> (and if you don`t believe that the stick on the right is the same as the one on
> the left believe me it is i read it in a mag)

sorry i know now on some games it is used for diffrent things so it has 24 movements. and look how well it`s done see it`s the movements, the movements i tell you

but that doesn`t really matter because soon developers wont be working for it because they will lose money because the xbox is so ****
Wed 10/04/02 at 12:19
ok then this is it what i meant was too many MOVEMENTS because if you think developers put moves onto each action you do on i controller so i should of really called it too many movements/actions.

PS2
D-pad = 4 movements(two sticks they mostly do the same as the d-pad but with 8 movements) So we will call it 8 movements
4 buttons on top = 4 movements
4 buttons to right = 4 movements
start/select dont count
and if you want to be fussy the two sticks are buttons = 2 movements

total for ps2 = 18 movements

Gamecube

d-pad = 4 movements (the stick on left does the same as d-pad but with 8 movements) so we will call it 8 movements
3 buttons on top = 3 movements
4 buttons to right = 4 movements
start/pause not included
and the c-stick on the right = 8 movements (they replease the c-buttons on n64)

total for Gamecube = 23 movements

Xbox
d-pad = 4 movements (stick on left AND on right do same thing but with 8 movements) so we will call it 8 movements
two buttons on back = 2 movements
6 on right = 6 movements
start select dont count

xbox total = 16 (and if you don`t believe that the stick on the right is the same as the one on the left believe me it is i read it in a mag)

so the totals again

PS2 = 18
Gamecube = 23
xbox = 16

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.