GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BT phone service - new charges for free services."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/12/13 at 13:17
"Are you sure?"
As most BT customers will know by now (announced in September) BT are going to start charging for previously free services - 'Caller Display' and 'Answer 1571'.

They are going to charge £1.75 each per month - so an additional £42 per year!

It's a shame Freeola don't offer a phone service to go with their broadband as having a separate phone provider isn't so efficient.
I'm guessing many Freeola customers will be using BT for their line and phone service.

I've been with BT *forever* and for the first time am thinking of moving away.

Is anyone here using the Post Office?

Comparing them with BT they look a lot cheaper - unless I'm missing something???

Post Office:
Line rental: £12pm, Anytime calls: £5.75, free Caller Display and free Voice mail.
Total: £17.75
Anytime calls says it also includes UK mobiles at weekends.

Against BT's £15.99, £7, £1.75 + £1.75
Total: £26.49

I can opt in to a 12 month BT contract and get 'Caller Display' free for a year and buy an answer machine to avoid the other charges but I thought I would ask to see what others here do :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 21/01/14 at 10:26
"possibly impossible"
Good luck with the move Hmmm... Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

I'm stuck with BT, isn't much option other than Sky. Since we don't use the home phone all that often I'm not too bothered.
Mon 20/01/14 at 22:16
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
;)

Thanks for updating us Hmmm... I hope it goes well but let us know should it mess with the broadband.
Mon 20/01/14 at 12:11
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
Hmmm... we have looked into this and at the moment it's just not viable to offer a phone line service. It's something I have wanted and I had to do a bit of research with the latest BT price rise for my landline. In the end I just downgraded everything. Chose to skip the Post Office as I think they are SMPF over TT and they could not assure me that my broadband would not be messed up with the move, also check them out on the review sites.
I can always investigate some prices for you via our wholesalers if you want.

Update
I've just got my act together (at last) and started the switching process.

BT showed no interest in trying to keep me as a customer so their latest price increases have made me jump ship.

After MANY YEARS of having my phone service with BT I'm moving to Zen. They have assured me my Freeola broadband service won't be interrupted(!) as it's just a billing change and no use of LLU etc.

I've also bumped into another Freeola broadband customer who's happy with their mix of Freeola for BB and Zen for phone, which is good to hear.

If it should all go pear shape I'll let you know.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

PS. It's a 1 month contract so if Freeola are able to start offering a similar service I can easily move :¬)
Fri 13/12/13 at 13:27
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
Think the only TT I'm going to bother with is held on an island in May/June time, nothing wrong with the speed there!

Probably more 'downtime' for some of them, though.
Fri 13/12/13 at 08:27
Regular
"I like turtles"
Think the only TT I'm going to bother with is held on an island in May/June time, nothing wrong with the speed there!
Thu 12/12/13 at 23:09
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]DL wrote:
[i]So ... to continue your diagnosis, it's the 'wiring' then ...

I've absolutely no idea DL, all I do know is her connection is rubbish and TT's engineers reckon there is nothing wrong. I was merely asking if moving my phone to a provider such as these could mean getting tied in for 12/18 months with a crappy broadband connection as well (even if I decided to stay with Freeola). The TT connection in question averages about 4-6 Mbs and experiences regular dropouts (usually evening times) while my 2 Freeola connections average around 8-11 Mbs with virtually no dropouts (all 3 are ADSL 2+ connections from the same exchange).[/i]

I cannot and will not make comment about BB connections/ISPs ... just observations.

In the case of your 'colleague' ... she changes to Freeola and you stay with Freeola :¬)

@pb
You said ...
"I hear lots of bad stories about TT but they are mostly incompatibility with consoles, peer to peer and steam or their terrible customer service.
That said, a friend moved from them to Sky and improved his broadband no end."

This then would depend on what you require on your service ... for me, I wouldn't touch them with a 'barge pole'[/i]

Neither would I based on what I've heard from people. I need a fast, stable and trustworthy connection and TT seem to be anything but that.
Thu 12/12/13 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
DL wrote:
[i]So ... to continue your diagnosis, it's the 'wiring' then ...

I've absolutely no idea DL, all I do know is her connection is rubbish and TT's engineers reckon there is nothing wrong. I was merely asking if moving my phone to a provider such as these could mean getting tied in for 12/18 months with a crappy broadband connection as well (even if I decided to stay with Freeola). The TT connection in question averages about 4-6 Mbs and experiences regular dropouts (usually evening times) while my 2 Freeola connections average around 8-11 Mbs with virtually no dropouts (all 3 are ADSL 2+ connections from the same exchange).[/i]

I cannot and will not make comment about BB connections/ISPs ... just observations.

In the case of your 'colleague' ... she changes to Freeola and you stay with Freeola :¬)

@pb
You said ...
"I hear lots of bad stories about TT but they are mostly incompatibility with consoles, peer to peer and steam or their terrible customer service.
That said, a friend moved from them to Sky and improved his broadband no end."

This then would depend on what you require on your service ... for me, I wouldn't touch them with a 'barge pole'
Thu 12/12/13 at 19:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
So ... to continue your diagnosis, it's the 'wiring' then ...

I've absolutely no idea DL, all I do know is her connection is rubbish and TT's engineers reckon there is nothing wrong. I was merely asking if moving my phone to a provider such as these could mean getting tied in for 12/18 months with a crappy broadband connection as well (even if I decided to stay with Freeola). The TT connection in question averages about 4-6 Mbs and experiences regular dropouts (usually evening times) while my 2 Freeola connections average around 8-11 Mbs with virtually no dropouts (all 3 are ADSL 2+ connections from the same exchange).
Thu 12/12/13 at 19:41
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]pete_21 wrote:
[i]pb, 2 of my Freeola connections are supplied from the same exchange as the TT one I mentioned. 1 of these is slightly closer to the exchange the other about a mile or so further away. The TT connection is noticeably inferior.

Ok. That rules out the exchange, then.[/i]

So ... to continue your diagnosis, it's the 'wiring' then ...[/i]

It might be. It might be the service too, but obviously best to diagnose the issues by removing the things that can be tested.

I hear lots of bad stories about TT but they are mostly incompatibility with consoles, peer to peer and steam or their terrible customer service.

That said, a friend moved from them to Sky and improved his broadband no end.
Thu 12/12/13 at 19:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]pb, 2 of my Freeola connections are supplied from the same exchange as the TT one I mentioned. 1 of these is slightly closer to the exchange the other about a mile or so further away. The TT connection is noticeably inferior.

Ok. That rules out the exchange, then.[/i]

So ... to continue your diagnosis, it's the 'wiring' then ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.