GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BT phone service - new charges for free services."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/12/13 at 13:17
"Are you sure?"
As most BT customers will know by now (announced in September) BT are going to start charging for previously free services - 'Caller Display' and 'Answer 1571'.

They are going to charge £1.75 each per month - so an additional £42 per year!

It's a shame Freeola don't offer a phone service to go with their broadband as having a separate phone provider isn't so efficient.
I'm guessing many Freeola customers will be using BT for their line and phone service.

I've been with BT *forever* and for the first time am thinking of moving away.

Is anyone here using the Post Office?

Comparing them with BT they look a lot cheaper - unless I'm missing something???

Post Office:
Line rental: £12pm, Anytime calls: £5.75, free Caller Display and free Voice mail.
Total: £17.75
Anytime calls says it also includes UK mobiles at weekends.

Against BT's £15.99, £7, £1.75 + £1.75
Total: £26.49

I can opt in to a 12 month BT contract and get 'Caller Display' free for a year and buy an answer machine to avoid the other charges but I thought I would ask to see what others here do :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 03/02/14 at 18:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
As I said then ... cancel the lot ... if it is that important, people will ring back or use an alternative number, in my case my mobile. However, 1471 is still free if you're that bothered about 'who calls me'.
Mon 03/02/14 at 18:45
"Are you sure?"
See my opening post, the free offer and 12 month contract is all they are willing to offer people.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 03/02/14 at 17:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Oh I'm sure it can if you can stay calm long enough!
They promised me a refund and to enable caller display free. 2 minutes later I got an e-mail saying 'thank you for taking out caller display and agreeing to a new 12 month contract', as they never mentioned the crucial 'contract' bit they got another bashing from me and cancelled that as well.
Mon 03/02/14 at 14:08
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
Woo!
Annoyingly I can't switch but I wish I could as BT have already messed up my new more expensive bill by charging for extras I asked them to turn off. Have to wait until next month for a refund too!

Something similar happened with my BT bill last month ... extras had been charged for and when I challenged them, they were cancelled but a refund would be included in the next bill! Oh no they won't I replied, they will be credited immediately, thus reducing the bill I was asked to pay. And lo and behold ... they were and I paid the reduced bill. It can be done Eccles :¬)
Mon 03/02/14 at 13:18
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Woo!
Annoyingly I can't switch but I wish I could as BT have already messed up my new more expensive bill by charging for extras I asked them to turn off. Have to wait until next month for a refund too!
Mon 03/02/14 at 11:44
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
;)

Thanks for updating us Hmmm... I hope it goes well but let us know should it mess with the broadband.

Just to say my phone successfully switched from BT to Zen this morning - and I'm still online :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 22/01/14 at 00:15
"possibly impossible"
Well it looks as though you are right again, but it certainly was just the two services back when I joined.
Tue 21/01/14 at 18:00
"Are you sure?"
Hi pb,
That's not how it works?!

If your line has FTTC then your can use any ISP offering a FTTC service.

LLU services are dependant on the providers that have got their own equipment in local exchanges but FTTC is an Openreach product that is available to many ISPs.

Happy to be corrected... :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 21/01/14 at 14:07
"possibly impossible"
Depends on the area. FTTC here is just BT or Sky and that's it. BT worked out the best of the 2. It's that or go back to 1.3Mbps.
Tue 21/01/14 at 13:02
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
Good luck with the move Hmmm... Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

I'm stuck with BT, isn't much option other than Sky. Since we don't use the home phone all that often I'm not too bothered.

Don't forget as your line supports FTTC your don't have to use BT!
Their adverts do confuse a lot of people "Infinity only available from BT". Infinity is just their brand name for FTTC - you can have the same type of connection from lots of providers.

Re BT's new prices.
You can't avoid the hike in line rental as you are staying with them - but you will probably have been 'opted in' to the now paid for '1571 answer' and 'caller id'. £42 per year where it was previously free!

You can avoid one charge by signing up for another years' contract and getting 'caller id' free.

With Zen I will be paying £18.25 per month for my line rental and 5000 minutes with caller id. I've bought an answer machine to avoid paying for that service.

Only contacted them yesterday and have just received a letter in the post confirmed the direct debit etc. - what could go wrong? ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.