GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 present and future."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 14:52
Regular
Last year we had about 20 topics all asking what our top five games were, and which five we were most looking forward to in the Christmas rush. Here is another topic for this years games -

Just two things to do, if ya wanna take part, name your top five games so far for PS2, and then name the top 5 games you are looking forward to on PS2.

For me, that would be -

Present Top 5 -
1) Final Fantasy 10
2) Metal Gear Solid 2
3) Gran Turismo 3
4) Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
5) Devil May Cry

Most anticipated top 5 -
1) TimeSplitters 2
2) Star Wars Bounty Hunter
3) Burnout 2
4) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
5) GTA: Vice City

Feel free to post your top 5's here...
Mon 14/10/02 at 14:36
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Neo - really - how could you forget about SC2

I want you to stand in the corner for 20 minutes and then write me 200 lines.

"I must not forget that Soul Calibur 2 will be the top PS2 fighting game"
Mon 14/10/02 at 14:40
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Humph...!

*Mumbles a few words*
Mon 14/10/02 at 14:57
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
"Quiet in the corner !"
Tue 15/10/02 at 08:50
Regular
Flanders wrote:
> Games like GT3 take weeks / months to complete 100%.

One and a half months for me, so I see what ya mean! But there could have been a better balance between the two. Concept took one and a half days, but that wasn`t long enough. A middle mark needs to be found.

> Most people play games and get to a certain level where they either
> get stuck or bored

Getting stuck motivates me to keep at the game, but as you say, getting bored can be a major problem. I had enough of GTA3 only part way into the second island, and Res Evil CV had me bored after 20 minutes (really gotta get back to that to find out if its any good).
Tue 15/10/02 at 09:53
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Yep - I know what you mean phil, The thing about Concept though is at least it is a game that you can go back to if you want to have a drive around after you have completed it - though the Pod races soon lost their appeal for me.

I like games that you can go back to and just have a 15 - 20 minute balst on if you like - which is why for me a game like Pro Evo - which really ahs no end as such - is one of my faves and always will be. A spare 20 mins - slap in the disc - have a quick friendly and off you go with your life again.

I think people like Darwock - who are claiming that they are mister hardcore gamer - can tend to lose the plot a little - if he really does complete every single game to 100 % every time (which I doubt) he needs to get outside occasionaly and hug some trees or something to keep himself linked to reality.
Tue 15/10/02 at 11:16
Regular
Flanders wrote:
> Yep - I know what you mean phil,

Wow, I`m famous :D

> The thing about Concept though is at
> least it is a game that you can go back to if you want to have a drive
> around after you have completed it

Yeh, I know what ya mean, its designed around a "quick-dip", but with GT3 complete I often find myself going back and just testing cars. Spending a few minutes fiddling with the settings, and then taking out a car onto the course to see what it can do. Obviously you can do this on Concept, but the level of "fiddleability" is lessened, reducing the fun in the 0-1000m sprint. Shaving off that extra 100th of a second etc...

- though the Pod races soon lost
> their appeal for me.

Yeh, lol! They were really funny the first time I played, but it just gets a little too tinkly :D

> I like games that you can go back to and just have a 15 - 20 minute
> balst on if you like -

Yeh, definitely. Tony Hawks 3 is good for this - slap it in, having a quick whirl round a few arenas and finish whenever you like. The two minute restriction means you`re always near to a good finishing point. SSX is similar in this, and I often find myself putting the game in occasionally just to enjoy the boarding, not aiming for points totals, just sliding in the nice clean snow.

> which is why for me a game like Pro Evo - which
> really ahs no end as such - is one of my faves and always will be. A
> spare 20 mins

Yeh, I`m not a footie fan, but I do know that Pro Evo is supposed to be a fantastic game for that kind of play. If I liked football, I`m sure it would make a great game.

> I think people like Darwock - who are claiming that they are mister
> hardcore gamer - can tend to lose the plot a little - if he really
> does complete every single game to 100 % every time (which I doubt) he
> needs to get outside occasionaly and hug some trees or something to
> keep himself linked to reality.

Yeh, thats true... if you have a fair few games. I have more than 20, so occasionally a few games get left on the side for a bit, and I try to return later, sometimes going back to finish them, and sometimes going back to realise why I left in the first place. If you only have a couple of games though, possibly through financial reasons, then you could quite likely take each one to 100% and beyond.

Anyway, I`m not trying to disagree with you on everything, though reading back it almost seems that way :D I do agree that its impossible to go all the way with everythng!
Tue 15/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
ssxpro wrote:
> Flanders wrote:
> Yep - I know what you mean phil,
>
> Wow, I`m famous :D

Typing - i know what you mean ssxpro jsut doesn't seem right somehow !!

>
> Anyway, I`m not trying to disagree with you on everything, though
> reading back it almost seems that way :D I do agree that its
> impossible to go all the way with everythng!

I didn't read it as disagreement - rather a constructive conversation with slightly differing angles on certain points !!
Tue 15/10/02 at 11:44
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I am not claiming to be mister hardcore game, I'm saying that there is no real challenge to completing a game these days. It's as inevitable as seeing the end of a movie. There are exceptions, like GT3 for example, but I would consider a game complete once I've seen the end credits.
Tue 15/10/02 at 11:45
Regular
Yeh, don`t worry, I`m happy with either ssxpro or Phil, I try to answer to both. I occasionally get called "idiot", "monkey", "2 Neurones" and more as well, so if ya get bored sometimes then feel free to give those a go :D

I`m glad we can constructively discuss rather than argue though, its much better talking like that. I guess thats the advantage in us being "old" people ;-)
Tue 15/10/02 at 11:46
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> I would consider a game complete once I've seen the end credits.

:D Even when they put all the end credits in the options menu?

(Just stirring trouble, sorry)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.