GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AEarliest Gaming Experieence? (That you can remember)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/04/02 at 12:48
Regular
Mine ahs to be either an old Simpsons Fighting Force clone in an arcade, or some other arcade game. or probably a Tekken game, or Resident evil 1. What be yours, fine folk of the Fog Chat?
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:12
Regular
"Whatever!"
Sorry to post the same thing twice!!
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:11
Regular
"Whatever!"
Bradman wrote:
> My earliest gaming memory is playing Harrier Attack on my Amstrad CPC 464 which
> I got for Christmas.. oh the fun of bombing building's with endless semi-colons
> (yes, the bombs really did look like this --> ; emitting from my Harrier)..
>

Oh that was pure gaming bliss ;-)

I remember my Amstrad CPC 464 and the many hours I use to spend on Harrier Attack!! That was also my earliest gaming memory - Oh the joy of bombing the houses at the end of each level - Classic moment!!
Thu 04/04/02 at 17:30
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
My first gaming experience was getting a Game Boy way back in 1991 or 1992 I think.

The first game I played was Mario Baseball, a game that just ruled, and I also played Tetris. It was very addictive at first but it soon got quite boring.

Tetris....
Thu 04/04/02 at 17:24
Regular
"You've upset me"
Street Fighter II on the SNES when I was three.
Thu 04/04/02 at 17:20
My earliest gaming memory is playing Harrier Attack on my Amstrad CPC 464 which I got for Christmas.. oh the fun of bombing building's with endless semi-colons (yes, the bombs really did look like this --> ; emitting from my Harrier)..

Oh that was pure gaming bliss ;-)
Thu 04/04/02 at 14:49
Mine has got to be an early christmas morning when I was about 8 years old. I asked 'Santa' for an Atari 2600 console, as I heard the graphics were top and the sound immense. I woke up, to my surprise, there it was at the end of my bed. So excited I ripped the paper off, ran downstairs and began plugging it and setting it up. Filled with excitement and pleasure, I reached for the power button, pressed it, waited. Kept on waiting, hoping, but to be displayed with absolutely nothing on my 8 inch black and white telly. I believe I cried that christmas - my Atari 2600 had packed up on me before I had even played one game of pong.

After a very sombre christmas dinner and the regular Queen's speech, Morecambe/Wise stuff, I got into bed. So sad at my predicament I decided tomorrow I would ask my father to take me to town to replace the Atari. He agreed. We set off for the shopping district and pulled up outside of Comet. We walked in and I remember looking wantingly at the range of 'top class' gaming machines. My eyes scanned the C64's, Amstrad CPC464's, and ZX-Spectrums. Wanting one even more by the second. The measly Atari seemed drab in comparison. I worked on persuading my father that such consoles, despite the hefty price tag, would pay off in fun. I believe I also used the 'schoolwork' excuse, as the computers in question had a keyboard.

To my shock - and pleasure, he brought me a Commodore 64. And I can honestly say that it has brought me the most pleasure of all the machines I have played before. Despite the games on tape phenomenon, and the flashy-colours of the loading commodore, it was truly radical in those days. Why was I so overjoyed with the C64? Well...

Games

It is the only genre of computer (including the speccy and amstrad) where you were able to go to the shop and buy a game for £3. I remember it clearly. I was able to buy games from the NEWSAGENT. I remember buying a copy of Paperboy from the Newsagent for £2.99. Those certainly where the days..... OK, the graphics were absolutely terrible by todays standards, but they were lightyears away from the competition in those days. But one factor has remained unchanged through the years....Playability. In fact I think I can say with some confidence that the Commodore 64 was the most fun games system that I have ever played on.... Hard hitting statement huh?

BASIC

One of the huge selling points for me was the was the C64 operated around a light version of BASIC. BASIC is the common programming language (you know, print, input, and all that). Why was this important to me? Because I really was able to make my own games when I was 8 years old. BASIC was so damn simple, I could sit there all night making a text based RPG. And best of all, I could copy it to a tape and let my mates play it. I also think that using BASIC as a child has made me more logical today....

Full colour?

Yes, for all those Spectrum owners out there who think the world of tape gaming was purely yellow and green, the C64 (and CPC464) revolutionised this. The spectrum was the pioneer of this genre, but the later machines were the revolutionaries. The Commodore 64 gave us games in full colour. I have never owned a Sinclair Spectrum so I wouldn't know the difference. All I remember is looking on the back of game boxes and laughably comparing the graphics with that of the Spectrum.

The future?

Commodore, after the success of the C64 released their next gen machine, the Commodore Amiga. The Amiga was an incredible machine. It was to an extent upgradable, and many people use them today. You could actually use it, productively for work. It word processed, it did mathematical sums, it played games! It was in the same class as the IBM PC in that era, no doubt about it. However, the Amiga, despite the numerous upgrades, failed to continue making it in the mainstream. The Amiga stopped in production and was no longer sold by Commodore. Shame. In fact that section of computing ceased to be covered by Commodore.

These days Commodore have changed their focus to industry. They appear to be making machines that do (inter alia) neutralise chemical weapons...hmmmm... So at least they are still providing the public with a good service. Good news however, if you want, these days you will find Commodore are trading on the stock exchange!

Anyway, drifting away from the brief comparison and back to my earliest gaming moment. It has to be switching on my C64 on the back, waiting patiently for the tape to load, then playing Outrun until my parents told me to go to bed!
Thu 04/04/02 at 13:02
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Staying up late (probably about 7 O'Clock), watching my dad play Spectrum games on a small black & white tele.
And wracking up high scores on Graham Gooch's Test Cricket.

And playing 2-player Space Invaders with my brother on our Atari 2600. My brother won the Atari 2600 by entering a competition to make a dinosaur out of cardboard egg cartons, etc, but my dad actually made it and we won!!
The games for that machine were pretty expensive too, about 30-40 quid i think, and that was in the late 70's-early 80's.

Then there was getting the NES for Christmas one year...sigh..happy days.
Thu 04/04/02 at 12:48
Regular
Mine ahs to be either an old Simpsons Fighting Force clone in an arcade, or some other arcade game. or probably a Tekken game, or Resident evil 1. What be yours, fine folk of the Fog Chat?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.