GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Splitters 2 - Out Tomorrow - But...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Timesplitters 2'.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
You can change that setting in Agent Under Fire though yeah? I am sure I did?!
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
VenomByte wrote:
> No, mostly they use one of two infuriatingly different control
> settings :)
>
> On one setting, left stick will control forward/backward movement and
> strafing, whilst the right hand stick will control looking.
>
> On the other setting, the left stick will control forward/backward
> movement and left/right turning, whilst the other stick deals with
> strafing and looking up and down.

That first setting is my favourite. Time Splitters uses it, as well as most other shooters I play, and if they don't I configure them that way.

The second setting is what James Bond Agent Under Fire uses, and for me I found it impossible to use for ages. I used to run forward and then instead of turning to shoot I'd strafe right and fall off a ledge by accident. It's the ONLY game that uses that control system, so I try to avoid playing it when going through a 'shoot em up' phase.
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
Note to Wookie - get the GC version.

:)
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No, mostly they use one of two infuriatingly different control settings :)

On one setting, left stick will control forward/backward movement and strafing, whilst the right hand stick will control looking.

On the other setting, the left stick will control forward/backward movement and left/right turning, whilst the other stick deals with strafing and looking up and down.

Switching form one of these two control systems to the other can be very confusing, and take half an hour or so to get fully used to in some cases. I found it particularly annoying when switching between Halo and Turok Evolution.

If I remember correctly, the first Timesplitters game uses the same control system as Turok Evolution. But I might be wrong. It's difficult to say without a console to hand...
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:23
"High polygon count"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Well if the PS2 version is using the analogue controls again then I'll
> be getting it on GameCube.
>
> I couldn't stand the controls on the original!

I don't see the logic in that, as all console FPS games tend to use the same controls by default: left stick to move left/right/forward/back and right stick to look left/right/up/down.

As all three systems have two analogue sticks, I imagine the default control system - for movement at least - will be the same on each platform, but configurable. There's no other way of doing it.

But I am glad that you raised the point, because one thing I hadn't considered is that Gamecube's right analouge stick is very small. On the PS2 version, you use the right stick to turn and aim the weapon. If this is the same on GC, then in the heat of battle, this could cost you dear.

Another thing is that the PS2 version makes use of all 4 shoulder buttons (L1 = duck, L2 = zoom scope, R2 = primary fire, R1 = secondary fire). On the GC controller, this could be an issue if that damn Z-button is used; on the Xbox, at least two of those functions would require the digital contortion of reaching across the face of the controller for those black and white buttons.

But based primarily on the movement/aiming issue, I think it'll be the PS2 or Xbox version, but I'll hopefully try them all first.
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
One thing is for sure, having played the first few levels at Eidos, it runs best on the Gamecube.

Its got the same feel as Goldeneye, although I haven't played the whole game, I only really spent time asking questions and feeling the controls. I still think Goldeneye is the best shooter ever, no questions asked. I do think Timesplitters2, with its NEVER ENDING multiplayer modes may steal Goldeneyes crown.

!
Thu 17/10/02 at 14:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> My question is, which platform do I get it on? I might have to ask in
> Game if I can try each version.

---

Well if the PS2 version is using the analogue controls again then I'll be getting it on GameCube.

I couldn't stand the controls on the original!
Thu 17/10/02 at 13:59
"High polygon count"
I think the best PS2 FPS game is still the original TimeSplitters.

The single-player mode is good (if a little lacking), but the multiplayer is ace.

I only played the demo of TS2 yesterday, on the previous OPS2 mag's coverdisc, and I really enjoyed it.

My question is, which platform do I get it on? I might have to ask in Game if I can try each version.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"Remember me?"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see
> some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.

We've upgraded to felt tip pens now.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ant wrote:
> Red Faction wasn't bad.

---

Says Ant after swearing not to tell the truth the whole day.

;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.