GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Splitters 2 - Out Tomorrow - But...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Timesplitters 2'.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:52
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
One word
"Metroid Prime"
Actually two words.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:49
> Oh the memories of Goldeneye Marathons. Many a night I have spent
> shooting people in the face. Uh oh

Oh man, were those nights long! Me, my cousin and two mates would play for stupid lengths of time. Stack, rockets, one shot kills. And no-one is allowed to select OddJob. It was too hard to see his midget a*s let alone shoot him. My cousin would run around with pistols prefering close combat, another mate would always sneak around looking for cheap kills, and me and my other mate would stay on top firing rockets at anything that moved. I wonder how many total hours (days actually) we spent on that game.....
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Sjigga wrote:
>those were the days.

Oh the memories of Goldeneye Marathons. Many a night I have spent shooting people in the face. Uh oh
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:25
gerrid wrote:
> When I said non-human, I was being stupid, and I meant space levels
> with lasers and things.
> I think that the PC version will have the best controls, but the worst
> multiplayer. And the N64 controller wasn't uncomfortable, it was
> superb.

Oh, right. Well, I didnt see any of that in the preview trailer but I did see an underwater driving section which might be a strange one.

As for the N64 pad, most people I played Goldeneye multiplayer with would agree with you completely - they all loved it. My only issue was the analogue stick - I couldnt find a comfortable way to use it. I tried holding the middle section of the pad and using it that way, but that was very uncomfortable for me. So I had to hold the left side (as you would when using the D-pad) and stretch my thumb across to the centre where the analogue stick was. My cousin (who loved it) thought I was a freak. Still beat him good though with rocket launchers on the stack level - those were the days.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
When I said non-human, I was being stupid, and I meant space levels with lasers and things.
I think that the PC version will have the best controls, but the worst multiplayer. And the N64 controller wasn't uncomfortable, it was superb.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:04
gerrid wrote:
> It will be no Goldeneye. It has too many non-human enemies. The N64
> pad was also perfectly suited to FPSs, whereas the Xbox, GC and PS2
> controllers are not.
> It still won't be as good as Flashpoint though. No way.

Are you talking about Nightfire? If so, I didnt realise it had any non-human enemies. As for the controller, I think that the twin analogue sticks found on todays consoles are better suited to FPS games than the N64 pad. Even though I adapted to it, I always felt that the positioning of the N64 analogue stick was illogical and uncomfortable and is better suited to standard left side position.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It will be no Goldeneye. It has too many non-human enemies. The N64 pad was also perfectly suited to FPSs, whereas the Xbox, GC and PS2 controllers are not.
It still won't be as good as Flashpoint though. No way.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:46
I agree, AUF looked very promising but turned out to be very disapointing, although the multiplayer had some very good elements and was surprisingly fun. However, I think EA seem to have improved on that game significanly. The graphics are much better and the locations look interesting with the same kind of variety that Goldeneye had. It just looks more like a proper Bond game this time and if they get it right, I think it will be a match for Goldeneye.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:43
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I don't see the logic in that, as all console FPS games tend to use
> the same controls by default: left stick to move
> left/right/forward/back and right stick to look left/right/up/down.

---

It's not that, I know that's how controls operate and everything. I have no problem with that part of the controller at all.

It's the way the analogue stick moves that confuses me - it seems to jump to whichever side you're pushing it to with the deftest of touches, and I think that's what makes it hard to control. That's why I always preffered the analogue stick on the N64 to the one on the PS1 and PS2 controls, and it's probably why I'm getting the GC version of TS2.

:-)
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:32
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
But isn't Nightfire a sequel to Agent Under Fire? That game was so bad it pains me to talk about it.

If it is like AUF, I'll be going now where near it, even if the footage does look impressive. The footage I saw of AUF looked good too. Then I played it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.