GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Splitters 2 - Out Tomorrow - But...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Timesplitters 2'.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:49
Regular
Does MGS2 really count? They are very different games..
Thu 17/10/02 at 08:22
Regular
I was thinking of leaving out MGS2 altogether, but that only leaves Medal of Honour as the only decent shooter on the PS2.

Is my memory going or hasn't the PS2 really got any decent FPS games apart from the Half Life PC port from last year and the Medal of Honor and Deus Ex PC ports from this year? James Bond in... Agent Under Fire isn't exactly the greatest one since sliced bodies, seeing the the control mechanics were a bit, erm, idiotic. But I can't think of any others.
Thu 17/10/02 at 08:48
Regular
"I like cheese"
Red Faction wasn't bad.
Thu 17/10/02 at 09:10
Regular
I thought Red Faction was (Alan Hansen mode) diabolical.
The Geo-mod thingy was just (Alan Hansen mode) attrocious.
After playing it I thought I'd be better off (Des Lynham mode) just putting my feet up and watching a bit of footie instead, heh.
Thu 17/10/02 at 10:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
i think Edge gave it either 8 or 9. Not sure if that was for a particular format of the game though.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:16
Ant wrote:
> Red Faction wasn't bad.

HAHAHA!!
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:26
Regular
Official Xbox Mag gave TS2 9.3, so it's looking pretty good.

Better than Halo? Dunno, I haven't played it. Depends on personal preference I guess.

For the ultimate FPS multiplayer mayhem, I'm waiting for Unreal Championship.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ant wrote:
> Red Faction wasn't bad.

---

Says Ant after swearing not to tell the truth the whole day.

;-)
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"Remember me?"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see
> some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.

We've upgraded to felt tip pens now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.