GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/03/02 at 11:55
Regular
Isn't it funny how all gamers over the world say it's the games that count. And yet, people who own an X-Box keep going on about how great the sound it, and how super the graphics are. I wonder if it ever actually hit them that you need people to program the games. If people can't do that easily, then you get a crap game.

Rareware. They seem to be able to make the GameCube sing and dance on its head smoking 7 cubans while doing advanced trigonometry at the same time!

So, we agree it's the games that count. And look at the GameCube lineup... I don't just mean the launch, but all the announced games. From the age old Super Mario Sunshine to the recently announced Virtua Fighter Quest! So many titles seem to be coming to GameCube... Biohazard as well!

Then you've got all the Mario Sports titles... all that's really missing is Mario Olympics! That'd be good. Each character with their own strenghts and weaknesses.

It is just me, or do the games for GameCube seem much higher in quality then those on other consoles. I'm not looking at it from a Ninty POV, just in general... I mean, the X-Box has HALO, JSRF, Gotham, Oddworld and GUNVALRIKE (SP?) all released within its first year of release, but GameCube has Mario, Luigi, Melee, PIKMIN, StarFox, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, VF Quest, Monkey Ball. I honestly think that all those titles are WELL above average... i'm talking 90%+ Then you've got all the decent ports like SSX Tricky, Skies of Arcadia, Sega Sports titles...

I'm getting such a good vibe from the Cube corner... I mean, Nintendo is the only company that's got me this excited about it's games. But hold on... they're not bothered about on-line play, no internet stuff... surely none of it will be fun...

Listen: If you need to play on-line, then you don't have enough friends. 4 controller ports is perfect. You don't need on-line play... and not being able to see the person ruins it... you can't laugh about it with them. Plus the atmosphere is much better. Picture this...

It's a nice sunny day... the Patio doors are open.. the garden has just been mowed, there's a nice breeze. You're playing Melee with 3 mates, drinking coke and eating Haribo Starmix... What could be better? Going out to play football... with 4 of you...?! Maybe... but if there's only 4 people, there's bound to be someone who's REALLY good so you can't play Wembley. Headders and Volleys maybe - but then again, the good guy would never be in...

You can't go wrong with gaming... because you don't have to be athletic to do it. Just look at GameCube... it's a masterpiece. Mario Kart, Kameo, Mario tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine 2, Zelda 3... once the developers have the game engines done.... we could see some superb sequels!

Ahhhhh..... Roll on May 3rd.

Game: This post was going somewhere. But it turned out to be one of those pointless posts that just reaffirms my childish Nintyness.
Wed 03/04/02 at 10:23
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
What we have to remember is that the Villa themed level is just one small part of the game, and that there will indeed be other levels. Hopefully there'll be one main objective and several other small tasks in each level with a few fun bits (like target practice in zelda and mini-games in Banjo Tooie). Add all that to the standard coin collecting and over 15 levels, you've got a pretty decent game.

It's good to see some of the old school mario stuff back, like the flipping fences.

If i'm honest, the game doesn't look that good. It should be a fun game to play, but if you look at the visuals, textures fill in for places where there should be a 3D object, and some of the 'bad guys' look quite blocky.

There's plenty of time to polish the game up, and i'm sure, that with the gamecube being easy to code for, the visuals will see a dramatic increase.

Maybe Mario should have been CEL-Shaded too... it'd suit the franchise down to the ground... I think.

Game
Wed 03/04/02 at 09:02
Regular
No killer Ap at launch? I was well informed that Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 was a killer PS2 ap in fact the ebst game of last year according to some sources... i'd say that is a huge game... of course Smash Brothers does come out in the launch period and thats an AAA game and Monkey ball is an AAA title but i doubt it is everyone's pot of tea.

I've been thinking about the Mario storyline, Shigsy was going for a more adult Mario something which quite oddly he hasn't done, but the new storyline is less fairy tale than before, could this be a more adult side to the story if only slightly... Yoshi appeared in a screenshots some reporters were shown but weather he is ridable or not is still to be seen...

1 month to go people!
Wed 03/04/02 at 00:33
Regular
Could be Waluigi from Mario Tennis...Dunno how much of a career he has Nintendo's plan

but there again...he has he same build as Luigi.

Has to be Wario yeh. Wario just cracks me up. Love it when he crashes in MArio kart 64. Waaahahhahhah :) " I'm Wario..I'm a gonna win!"
Tue 02/04/02 at 20:10
SONIC! that would be funny if he was the guy
Tue 02/04/02 at 20:07
Regular
It'll be Wario for sure... OR

Mario will accuse Wario continually who will deny it.
And it'll turn out to be a new character who'll appear in the likes of Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, etc... from now on.

I wonder if Bowser fits in anywhere?

I sure hope we'll be able to go riding on Yoshi again...
From what we've seen so far, it looks like Shigsy has had a nostalgic rush from Super Mario World on the Snes so Mario might well find himself mounted on that green dinosaur again...
Tue 02/04/02 at 15:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
If it was Mario, I would KISS Shigeru Miyamoto!

Wario is the man! In Fact, I can't wait for his Cube debut!

I wonder if there's any chance of him starring in his own game? He'll be in Mario Party 4, that's for sure, but i'd like to see Super Wario Moonlight, or something!
Tue 02/04/02 at 12:43
Regular
"not dead"
That Mario Sunshine story, someone disguised as Mario, it's got to be Wario. It has to be. Wario rules.
Tue 02/04/02 at 01:40
Regular
"Hmmm....."
just gotta say
good post Game!
Tue 02/04/02 at 01:36
Regular
Well, you only actually play the tanker part if you tell the PS2 you have completed MGS before...The tanker is more of an introduction to the game...Game only really starts when you play as Raiden...Works out okay his way I feel.

Although I aint played MGS for moe than 10 minutes so I can really comment on how the storyline compares with MGS2.
Tue 02/04/02 at 01:29
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I thought the Sons of Liberty storyline sucked... compared to MGS anyway. The Tanker part then the plant part was stupid... it should have been Raiden from the start (at the tanker), the tanker should have stopped off at the Big Shell and it should have copntinued from there... Raiden could have met Pliskin (Snake) as was in the game, and voila!

Kojima needs a slap!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.