GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/03/02 at 11:55
Regular
Isn't it funny how all gamers over the world say it's the games that count. And yet, people who own an X-Box keep going on about how great the sound it, and how super the graphics are. I wonder if it ever actually hit them that you need people to program the games. If people can't do that easily, then you get a crap game.

Rareware. They seem to be able to make the GameCube sing and dance on its head smoking 7 cubans while doing advanced trigonometry at the same time!

So, we agree it's the games that count. And look at the GameCube lineup... I don't just mean the launch, but all the announced games. From the age old Super Mario Sunshine to the recently announced Virtua Fighter Quest! So many titles seem to be coming to GameCube... Biohazard as well!

Then you've got all the Mario Sports titles... all that's really missing is Mario Olympics! That'd be good. Each character with their own strenghts and weaknesses.

It is just me, or do the games for GameCube seem much higher in quality then those on other consoles. I'm not looking at it from a Ninty POV, just in general... I mean, the X-Box has HALO, JSRF, Gotham, Oddworld and GUNVALRIKE (SP?) all released within its first year of release, but GameCube has Mario, Luigi, Melee, PIKMIN, StarFox, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, VF Quest, Monkey Ball. I honestly think that all those titles are WELL above average... i'm talking 90%+ Then you've got all the decent ports like SSX Tricky, Skies of Arcadia, Sega Sports titles...

I'm getting such a good vibe from the Cube corner... I mean, Nintendo is the only company that's got me this excited about it's games. But hold on... they're not bothered about on-line play, no internet stuff... surely none of it will be fun...

Listen: If you need to play on-line, then you don't have enough friends. 4 controller ports is perfect. You don't need on-line play... and not being able to see the person ruins it... you can't laugh about it with them. Plus the atmosphere is much better. Picture this...

It's a nice sunny day... the Patio doors are open.. the garden has just been mowed, there's a nice breeze. You're playing Melee with 3 mates, drinking coke and eating Haribo Starmix... What could be better? Going out to play football... with 4 of you...?! Maybe... but if there's only 4 people, there's bound to be someone who's REALLY good so you can't play Wembley. Headders and Volleys maybe - but then again, the good guy would never be in...

You can't go wrong with gaming... because you don't have to be athletic to do it. Just look at GameCube... it's a masterpiece. Mario Kart, Kameo, Mario tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine 2, Zelda 3... once the developers have the game engines done.... we could see some superb sequels!

Ahhhhh..... Roll on May 3rd.

Game: This post was going somewhere. But it turned out to be one of those pointless posts that just reaffirms my childish Nintyness.
Sun 07/04/02 at 16:35
two words (said many times)
Resident Evil Resident Evil Resident Evil

I REST MY CASE
Sun 07/04/02 at 12:23
Regular
"keep your receipt"
From the storyline and what I've seen so far of Mario Sunshine, it does seem that it will be a more adult game. Instead of just running and killing enemies and solving simple puzzles, it looks like it could be more exploration, back-tracking and solving the mystery of who this imposter is! I bet that the Villa area will be a central hub for the game and Mario will be able to branch off from that. There will definitely be a water level (note the screenshot with the squid) and a lava level. I'm hoping that Mario will chase the imposter at the end of gthe game and end up in a fiery castle where you first fight the imposter and then bowser...hmmm...

-M-
Sat 06/04/02 at 15:08
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I can't wait for Mario Sunshine.
I can't wait for StarFox Adventures.
I can't wait for The Legend of Zelda.
I can't wait for Metroid Prime.
I can't wait for Donkey Kong Racing.
I can't wait for Mario Tennis.
I can't wait for Mario Kart.
I can't wait for Mario Golf.
I can't wait for Pikmin.
I can't wait for Smash Brothers Melee.
I can't wait for Wavebird Controller.
I can't wait for GameCube.
I can't wait for Virtua Fighter Quest.
I can't wait for Soul Calibur 2.
I can't wait for Skies of Arcadia.

But I guess i'll have to.

Dammit.
Sat 06/04/02 at 14:52
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Dringo wrote:
> No killer Ap at launch? I was well informed that Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 was a
> killer PS2 ap in fact the ebst game of last year according to some sources...
> i'd say that is a huge game... of course Smash Brothers does come out in the
> launch period and thats an AAA game and Monkey ball is an AAA title but i doubt
> it is everyone's pot of tea.

I've been thinking about the Mario storyline,
> Shigsy was going for a more adult Mario something which quite oddly he hasn't
> done, but the new storyline is less fairy tale than before, could this be a more
> adult side to the story if only slightly... Yoshi appeared in a screenshots some
> reporters were shown but weather he is ridable or not is still to be
> seen...

I still think this Mario will be more grown up than others.
As in all cases, don't go by the Sun-Kissed village screenshots. We still have our dark castles, Lava filled areas to see yet and of course Bowser.
Sat 06/04/02 at 02:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Originality?

Pikmin?
Luigis Mansion? (arguably)
Super Monkey Ball?

All launch titles

Take the XBox

Halo - superb, but a 3rd person shooter in a very familiar mould
Oddworld - seen it before
Wreckless - Crazy Taxi?

I know these are just launch titles, and a small selection, but Nintendo have many many more original titles, and with sega, they should regain a lot of the market.
Sat 06/04/02 at 00:13
Regular
Strafex wrote:
he's not
> "adult", but would you really want him to be?

Exactly why the film just didnt work...
Fri 05/04/02 at 23:39
Regular
Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball are the greatest AAA titles on the earth, but only to those who have 4 controllers and 3 friends to play against. (although 1-2 opponents can suffice)
Otherwise they're purely average.

As for adult Mario. All Shigsy meant was that Mario wouldn't be as small and cutesy anymore.

He's bigger and more detailed now.
Sure, he's not "adult", but would you really want him to be?
He's simply not pathetically cute anymore.
Fri 05/04/02 at 01:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But Dringo, the very fact that it's a best seller on the PS2, or that it's on the PS2 at all, completely and utterly disqualifies it from the "killer app" category.

Chimp.
Wed 03/04/02 at 17:03
Regular
"Link to the Future"
For a start tony hawk's 3 is no killer app. Even though it's a good game it is out on every console, so you might as well just go and get an X-box or PS2 instead of a GameCube.
Also, i for one definately think that Mario would not be suited to CEL-shaded graphics. I mean Nintendo will have to keep Mario to the same mould as Luigi and they look similar comparing them in Luigi's mansion and Mario sunshine. I think it would be worse for Mario to be CEL-shaded than it is for Link in Zelda. I would also like to say that Mario sunshine is probably still some way from being completed and hardly any screenshots exist to start judging the graphics just yet. Anyway, i think the graphics look OK as they are. As for the baddie in Sunshine, who knows? Well probably Shigeru Miyamoto, but i reckon it'll be Wario, if not some one new. Maybe Sonic wearing a moustache and red cap? Or not.
Wed 03/04/02 at 11:42
Regular
"es argh"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
I'm not saying that The Xbox and PS2 don't have great gaes,

___

For some reason, the spelling mistake now seems appropriate

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.