GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/03/02 at 11:55
Regular
Isn't it funny how all gamers over the world say it's the games that count. And yet, people who own an X-Box keep going on about how great the sound it, and how super the graphics are. I wonder if it ever actually hit them that you need people to program the games. If people can't do that easily, then you get a crap game.

Rareware. They seem to be able to make the GameCube sing and dance on its head smoking 7 cubans while doing advanced trigonometry at the same time!

So, we agree it's the games that count. And look at the GameCube lineup... I don't just mean the launch, but all the announced games. From the age old Super Mario Sunshine to the recently announced Virtua Fighter Quest! So many titles seem to be coming to GameCube... Biohazard as well!

Then you've got all the Mario Sports titles... all that's really missing is Mario Olympics! That'd be good. Each character with their own strenghts and weaknesses.

It is just me, or do the games for GameCube seem much higher in quality then those on other consoles. I'm not looking at it from a Ninty POV, just in general... I mean, the X-Box has HALO, JSRF, Gotham, Oddworld and GUNVALRIKE (SP?) all released within its first year of release, but GameCube has Mario, Luigi, Melee, PIKMIN, StarFox, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, VF Quest, Monkey Ball. I honestly think that all those titles are WELL above average... i'm talking 90%+ Then you've got all the decent ports like SSX Tricky, Skies of Arcadia, Sega Sports titles...

I'm getting such a good vibe from the Cube corner... I mean, Nintendo is the only company that's got me this excited about it's games. But hold on... they're not bothered about on-line play, no internet stuff... surely none of it will be fun...

Listen: If you need to play on-line, then you don't have enough friends. 4 controller ports is perfect. You don't need on-line play... and not being able to see the person ruins it... you can't laugh about it with them. Plus the atmosphere is much better. Picture this...

It's a nice sunny day... the Patio doors are open.. the garden has just been mowed, there's a nice breeze. You're playing Melee with 3 mates, drinking coke and eating Haribo Starmix... What could be better? Going out to play football... with 4 of you...?! Maybe... but if there's only 4 people, there's bound to be someone who's REALLY good so you can't play Wembley. Headders and Volleys maybe - but then again, the good guy would never be in...

You can't go wrong with gaming... because you don't have to be athletic to do it. Just look at GameCube... it's a masterpiece. Mario Kart, Kameo, Mario tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine 2, Zelda 3... once the developers have the game engines done.... we could see some superb sequels!

Ahhhhh..... Roll on May 3rd.

Game: This post was going somewhere. But it turned out to be one of those pointless posts that just reaffirms my childish Nintyness.
Sat 30/03/02 at 11:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Isn't it funny how all gamers over the world say it's the games that count. And yet, people who own an X-Box keep going on about how great the sound it, and how super the graphics are. I wonder if it ever actually hit them that you need people to program the games. If people can't do that easily, then you get a crap game.

Rareware. They seem to be able to make the GameCube sing and dance on its head smoking 7 cubans while doing advanced trigonometry at the same time!

So, we agree it's the games that count. And look at the GameCube lineup... I don't just mean the launch, but all the announced games. From the age old Super Mario Sunshine to the recently announced Virtua Fighter Quest! So many titles seem to be coming to GameCube... Biohazard as well!

Then you've got all the Mario Sports titles... all that's really missing is Mario Olympics! That'd be good. Each character with their own strenghts and weaknesses.

It is just me, or do the games for GameCube seem much higher in quality then those on other consoles. I'm not looking at it from a Ninty POV, just in general... I mean, the X-Box has HALO, JSRF, Gotham, Oddworld and GUNVALRIKE (SP?) all released within its first year of release, but GameCube has Mario, Luigi, Melee, PIKMIN, StarFox, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, VF Quest, Monkey Ball. I honestly think that all those titles are WELL above average... i'm talking 90%+ Then you've got all the decent ports like SSX Tricky, Skies of Arcadia, Sega Sports titles...

I'm getting such a good vibe from the Cube corner... I mean, Nintendo is the only company that's got me this excited about it's games. But hold on... they're not bothered about on-line play, no internet stuff... surely none of it will be fun...

Listen: If you need to play on-line, then you don't have enough friends. 4 controller ports is perfect. You don't need on-line play... and not being able to see the person ruins it... you can't laugh about it with them. Plus the atmosphere is much better. Picture this...

It's a nice sunny day... the Patio doors are open.. the garden has just been mowed, there's a nice breeze. You're playing Melee with 3 mates, drinking coke and eating Haribo Starmix... What could be better? Going out to play football... with 4 of you...?! Maybe... but if there's only 4 people, there's bound to be someone who's REALLY good so you can't play Wembley. Headders and Volleys maybe - but then again, the good guy would never be in...

You can't go wrong with gaming... because you don't have to be athletic to do it. Just look at GameCube... it's a masterpiece. Mario Kart, Kameo, Mario tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine 2, Zelda 3... once the developers have the game engines done.... we could see some superb sequels!

Ahhhhh..... Roll on May 3rd.

Game: This post was going somewhere. But it turned out to be one of those pointless posts that just reaffirms my childish Nintyness.
Sat 30/03/02 at 19:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
Good post. And whats more, I agree! OK, I may be a Ninty through and thorugh having never owned a non-Nintendo console, unlike some people *cough* Jeremy *cough* :-D
But even if I wasn't, then the GC's games do look like the best out of the lot. I'm not saying that The Xbox and PS2 don't have great gaes, because they do, but the GC seems to have a lot more really outstandingly ingenuitive and class games.
Sat 30/03/02 at 19:42
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Damn straight. The Ps2 has Metal Gear Solid 2, Tekken and GTA 3 and State of Emergency, but that really is about it. Same with the X-Box, it only has Halo and JSR. The GameCube has loads, SSBM, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars: RL 2, WR : BS, Resi Evil Biohazard to name but a few. This does reaffirm Nintendo's point that the GC is a pure games console. When you buy a console you expect it to be about the games not DVD's or internet browsers. You've got other things to do that.
Sun 31/03/02 at 00:09
Regular
I would disagree that Pikmin, Luigi and Super Monker ball are 90% + games. Maybe they would get this sort of score in NOM or somthin but these games are nothing special. The Gamecube just doesnt have the killer title at launch.

And how long will it actually be before the killer app does come? SSMB is just an update of the N64 version and has had a few mixed reviews...Mario Sunshine and Starfox aint coming till very late in the year...and we have not had a date set at all for Zelda yet. There will be a playable version at E3 though right?

I'm not dissing the Gamecube...My PAL gamecube is paid for :) Just saying the sun doesnt shine out of it behind.
Sun 31/03/02 at 22:39
Regular
I reckon that Super Monkey Ball will deserve the 90+.

It's original, fun, playable, long lasting and has a wonderful multiplayer.
The other two are great but too short, but having said that, they're not much shorter than MGS2 and last much longer than the Devil May Cry (although these PS2 examples do supposedly have a fair bit more depth to them... I'm guessing).

I'd say that Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are "must play"'s, but not "must have"'s.
Sun 31/03/02 at 22:45
I was going to get a gc but I thought to myself most of there games are just same old formula. I need a good jab of original total gaming so I gave it a miss. I aint never had a nitendo console I was near to buyin all 3 though .
Sun 31/03/02 at 23:16
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Ortega, you must be blind if you can't see a killer app for GC. Two words "ROUGE" and "LEADER", i've played this game for a bit, but for that bit it just sucked me in. Then thinking there isn't an original title in the launch line-up, you seem to have over-looked Luigi's mansion. In how many other games do you have to suck up ghosts with a vacuum cleaner? Another game Resident Evil. It may be a re-make but it's virtually a new game, and it got 39/40 in a Japanese review.
Mon 01/04/02 at 00:11
Regular
Rogue Leader is good yes, but I'm not quite sure if it is the killer title. It has had average reviews in Japan and a few below 90 in the US and here. I'm not dissing it...Its not too much different from Rogue squadron though is it? I always prefered Lylat Wars to that anyway.

Heard good things about Resident Evil from Japan yes, but that series is flippin huge down there. They love it. Resident evil isnt as big down here and I'm sure the reviews wont be as high. Personally I hate the Resident Evil games and most likely wont be getting it.

I'm not doubting the GC will have the games. I'm loving just thinking about whats coming...Timesplitters 2, Virtual Fighter RPG (shenmue whatever), Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda etc...All the RARE games...

Talking of Mario...You read about the storyline? here it is anyway...copied from the source.

"The storyline in Super Mario Sunshine is much different than what you might expect. This time, things are much more complicated than simply rescuing Princess Peach from Bowser. The adventure starts when Mario and Peach decide to take a well-deserved vacation to a beautiful island in a remote location. Since the island is perpetually sunny and inhabited by friendly locals, it seemed like the perfect choice at first.

In typical fashion, poor Mario never gets a chance to relax. When he arrives on the island, he notices ugly scribble marks covering the walls throughout the community. What's worse, the person responsible for the scribbling has disguised himself to look just like Mario!

Mario is falsely accused by the locals, so he decides to get to the bottom of things. Armed with a new water-pumping backpack, Mario sets out to clean up the scribbling and reveal the identity of the true villain."

Sounds cool huh? At least its original :) Okay, orginal doesnt instantly always mean good, but this sounds good to me :) makes a welcome change to the usual b******s.
Mon 01/04/02 at 00:20
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Ortega is so cool.
Mon 01/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Yeah, fair point ortega. But rouge leader is the first star wars game in which you actually control Luke Skywalker. I'm sure that the good, original games will come. As for Mario's storyline's aren't they suppose to be fun anyway? It's just princess peach getting herself kidnapped by bowser, it's a lot better than trying to be too complicted for itself and ending being really bad. The storyline you've given sounds good. It's simple and so are most of Nintendo games'. Of course storylines in the end don't matter it's what the game has to offer, which i guess is why Nintendo keep their storylines simple. Unlike some other games (which Metal Gear Solid 2 being one) have hours of cutscenes. You don't want a story you want a game. Well, most of the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.