GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Afterlife - thoughts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/03/02 at 21:57
Regular
Before you read this, I warn you that it might seem a little bit weird in places.

I’m not sure if anyone has done this before, or just thinks about this, but do you ever think about what happens when we die? This question has been plaguing my mind for about a year now and I want to share with you what I think is a possibility.

1 – When discussing death with some friends, one of them said it would be just like falling asleep. Not feeling any pain or any difference, but how about this. What if we are all dead already, killed thousands or even millions of years ago and our life as we see it today is just a dream. Our day-to-day life is just one big dream and when we die, a new dream begins.

2 – This thought is a bit like the idea of Pentecost. For the people that don’t know, some religions believe that when you die, before you can go to Heaven, you have to wait in Pentecost. Judging by how well you behaved in life determines how long you have to wait. In my view, I find this quite plausible but then I had another thought. When we die, we are sent to another world. The state of this world is determined by how well you led your life prior to dieing. If you led a good life, being kind to your fellow man, you would be whisked off to your perfect world. A bit like what Legion does with the Red Dwarf crew’s rooms. But if you led a bad life, striving on bringing suffering to your fellow man, you would be sent to a living nightmare.

3 – This idea isn’t really my own, well, it isn’t mine at all. It is based on the brilliant Truman Show. Basically, our life is just on big entertainment programme. Personally, this is one of the worst thoughts I have ever had. The thought of millions and millions of people closely watching and scrutinising my every move is extremely scary to me.

I’ve got a few more thoughts on what the afterlife might be, but the worst one imaginable is if there was no afterlife. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the world would just carry on if I were not here.

Before I add the rest of my ideas, I would like to hear a few of yours.
Fri 29/03/02 at 00:45
Regular
"relocated"
As a kid I had the weirdest thoughts about life and death. The one I think most people have had is that you are the only real person in the world - everyone else is just an automaton put there to keep up the illusion of our universe. I'd notice these inconsistencies as well (things being where they shouldn't etc.) and think 'Aha! Got you!' about whoever was running the show. I guess it's because as a child you are absolutely certain that you're the most important person in the world: learning that you're NOT is the most important leson in growing up.

And then there's death: the great nothingness, the indescribable hole we're all falling towards. Scary stuff. It wasn't until AIDS became a big story that I really became aware of death; this was about the same time as Chernobyl and I have these two images mixed in my mind: a map of Europe showing the drift of radiation, and this incomprehensible epidemic hitting every major city on the continent. But that was as close as I personally came into contact with death. It's almost scarier that way, because it's harder to understand. So I just used to try and not think about it. I'd distract myself at night by thinking of dinosaurs and football stickers.

The afterlife? Well none of us really know, do we? I'd love to have a strong conviction one way or the other: that an afterlife is demanded by theology or forbidden by science, but it's really all guesswork. Science can tell us everything about our universe, except how it came into being and what exists outside it. And religion - all religion - is just guesswork: otherwise we'd all follow the same leader, the truth would have been revealed to us all.

So what happens when my conciousness disappears? And what is our universe contained within? Two questions that are impossible to answer while still alive, and may not be answered on our deaths. Hmmm, cheering stuff. Bring back the football threads, I say: far less thinking required. ;~)
Thu 28/03/02 at 23:38
Gabbo wrote:

1 – When discussing death with some friends, one of
> them said it would be just like falling asleep. Not feeling any pain or any
> difference, but how about this. What if we are all dead already, killed
> thousands or even millions of years ago and our life as we see it today is just
> a dream. Our day-to-day life is just one big dream and when we die, a new dream
> begins.

it is a scary thought,and when you think about it you could be right.Its like what that kid said from the sixth sense"People who are already dead do know it,they just see what they wanna see"or sopmethin like that
Thu 28/03/02 at 23:19
Regular
"I like cheese"
As most of you, I am a firm believer in Christianity. So basically, the after-life is heaven and hell. But I don't think it'll be the way we think it is. At least, hell won't be. But you certainly won't like it.

How'd you get there?? Do you have to be a Christian?? I don't know, and even I think it's unfair if you're a good person and you don't get into heaven. But as it says in the Bible, you can know all the facts about Christianity, and you can recite the whole of the Bible backwards, but it doesn't mean you know Jesus. Fortunately, I believe I do.
If you're willing to risk it, then fine, but I guess that's not the point. You don't be a Christian just so you can get into Heaven.

God has done some amazing things for me. It's a shame that the way Christianity is shown today prevents many people from experiencing the same joy I have, and still am.

Anyway, I hope Stryke doesn't come in this topic, I'm not in the mood for a full-blown religious war. {:)
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:25
Regular
"You've upset me"
:-)

I'm actually gonna make a post about it, but I have always wanted to fly freely, without being in the belly of a plane that relies on electronics and mechanics to stay up. I'd love to just fly high above places, I always feel best when I'm up high with the wind blowing through my hair. I seem leave my problems down below me, on the ground. And it feels wonderful.
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:20
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> An Eagle, I have always, ALWAYS wanted to fly.

I actually wrote that down, then deleted it. The thought of flying makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I bet it is one of the best feelings ever.
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:18
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
BIGMAN wrote:
> Another thing, my mate was saying that if you die in a dream you die in reel
> life or something. Do you think his could be ture or not ?

That is true. I'll try to explain but I will probably fail miserably. Imagine yourself to be dreaming about being on top of the Empire State Building. You are looking around, taking in the scenery but you unfortunately slip and begin to start hurtling towards the ground. Your body actually thinks you are falling and at this point you would wake up. If you were not to wake up though, your body would go into shock and you would suffer a heart attack. There is more chance of Aston Villa winning the Asian Cup than this happening though.

Ohh, if you had
> the chose what animal would you be reincarnated into ?

I would probably be a crocodile. You are top of the food chain so you don't have to worry about predators and you only move when you want some food. If you are not hunting, you are either sleeping or lying in the Sun. This is like a perfect life for me :-).
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:15
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Good point (ohh how I would also love to fly) but I think I would be a dog (I like dogs) !!!
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
BIGMAN wrote:
> Another thing, my mate was saying that if you die in a dream you die in reel
> life or something. Do you think his could be ture or not ?

Supposedly it's true because your heart thinks that what's happening is real. It's not true though, as I myself have died in a dream. So, either I was highly lucky, or the theory is bull.

Ohh, if you had
> the chose what animal would you be reincarnated into ?

An Eagle, I have always, ALWAYS wanted to fly.
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:10
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Another thing, my mate was saying that if you die in a dream you die in reel life or something. Do you think his could be ture or not ?

Ohh, if you had the chose what animal would you be reincarnated into ?
Thu 28/03/02 at 22:08
Regular
"You've upset me"
I try not to think about death and after-life, because I have a real problem with death. Find the "Put on Channel 4 Now!" topic in Chat by Mystique and go back a few pages as I explain myself properly there. But I have a problem with the concept which I can't be bothered to explain here. But your first idea of us being in another persons heaven/hell who lived ages ago is very interesting. I like that concept a lot. The Pentecost theory again seems plausible to me too.

The thing is though, what is after-life determined by? What if we don't believe in God? Then there's no Heaven and Hell is there?

The thing is, I don't belive that there IS an afterlife, but then I reason that there has to be. Having known what it was like to actually live, how do we not live as it were? Obviously, we only don't know anything from before the age of about 1 and a half. But I just can't get my head round the fact that we just die. And don't do anything. Or go anyway. As I don't know what that's like as we don't know before I was born. I don't think there IS an afterlife, but I can't accept the concept that there isn't...

Bah, I'll stop here as what I'm writing will only make sense to me and no one else as I'm rambling and not explaining myself. Sorry!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.