GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Afterlife - thoughts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/03/02 at 21:57
Regular
Before you read this, I warn you that it might seem a little bit weird in places.

I’m not sure if anyone has done this before, or just thinks about this, but do you ever think about what happens when we die? This question has been plaguing my mind for about a year now and I want to share with you what I think is a possibility.

1 – When discussing death with some friends, one of them said it would be just like falling asleep. Not feeling any pain or any difference, but how about this. What if we are all dead already, killed thousands or even millions of years ago and our life as we see it today is just a dream. Our day-to-day life is just one big dream and when we die, a new dream begins.

2 – This thought is a bit like the idea of Pentecost. For the people that don’t know, some religions believe that when you die, before you can go to Heaven, you have to wait in Pentecost. Judging by how well you behaved in life determines how long you have to wait. In my view, I find this quite plausible but then I had another thought. When we die, we are sent to another world. The state of this world is determined by how well you led your life prior to dieing. If you led a good life, being kind to your fellow man, you would be whisked off to your perfect world. A bit like what Legion does with the Red Dwarf crew’s rooms. But if you led a bad life, striving on bringing suffering to your fellow man, you would be sent to a living nightmare.

3 – This idea isn’t really my own, well, it isn’t mine at all. It is based on the brilliant Truman Show. Basically, our life is just on big entertainment programme. Personally, this is one of the worst thoughts I have ever had. The thought of millions and millions of people closely watching and scrutinising my every move is extremely scary to me.

I’ve got a few more thoughts on what the afterlife might be, but the worst one imaginable is if there was no afterlife. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the world would just carry on if I were not here.

Before I add the rest of my ideas, I would like to hear a few of yours.
Sun 31/03/02 at 02:55
Regular
"relocated"
Gabbo wrote:
> unknown kernel wrote:
The
> afterlife? Well none of us really know, do we?
> I'd love to have a strong
> conviction one way or the other

Would you?
> That surprises me quite a bit. I would hate to know the truth about what happens
> if we die.

Actually, having thought about it, you're right: I'd hate to know what would ACTUALLY happen when we die. It's one of the few mysteries left to us. At the moment I can't believe that there is any kind of god (or if there is then he is not the sort of god I would be interested in worshipping) but none of us know this for sure. If there is an afterlife then fine, but I hope that those judged worthy are not the sort of Christians who support every repressive movement around. How, for instance, do Christians have the gall to support war (any war) when it says in the Bible, as clear as you could want it, 'Thou Shalt Not Kill'? There are no ifs or buts about this: that is what the book says. Either you believe or you don't. That is really what bugs me about religion: the sheer hypocrisy of it all.
Sat 30/03/02 at 19:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ant wrote:
No "Bible Basher" comments
> please. :D

Bah... bloody bible... thumper :-D
Sat 30/03/02 at 18:06
Regular
"I like cheese"
Iguana wrote:

But I guess science has ruined me in a way. I don't believe in any of
> the above really, because I just don't know. I couldn't say 'I think that when
> we die, we are all reincarnated', because I have nothing to back that up on.
>

Well, that's where faith comes into it. I don't have any rral factual basis for my beliefs (although they've found stuff like the tomb where Jesus was buried etc.) But I do know that he exists. I just...feel it, I guess.

A lot of scientific 'theories', I would say, is just a lot of complicated mathematics clothed over by a name like "The Big Bang." Many people say they believe it is true, without really knowing how it works. I personally, believe that is a blind guess. If we are here because of the Big Bang, then we are either totally, unbelievably lucky, or God made it happen.

BUT, we're not talking about creation, we're talking about the after-life. I've always pictured heaven as a beautiful garden, full of people getting along, relaxing, playing and just having a great time. I would say this comes from the story of the Garden Of Eden on a subconscious level, but I know from personal experience that I would love heaven if it was like that.

Remember, these are just my views. No "Bible Basher" comments please. :D
Sat 30/03/02 at 12:49
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
If reincarnation happens, then we have been reincarnated many times already. Now, I can't remember ever being another person, thus 'I' was never a person.

When we refer to ourselves, we refer to our brain, not our soul. Thus, we will never be reincarnated.
Sat 30/03/02 at 10:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Death scares me.... evcerything I've learnt in science leads me to believe there is no afterlife, death is the end. But enough of that for the moment...

If we do have souls, when did we start getting them? At what point did the primordial slime start getting a soul?

Even if there is an afterlife and we do have souls, it won't really be us going into that afterlife. Our emotions, thoughts and feelings are controlled by chemicals in the brain. They make us what we are, they govern our personality. Without them, what are we? Some unthinking entity?

So even if there is an afterlife, it won't be me experiencing it. It'll be something else. Without being alive in this body, I'm not really me.
Fri 29/03/02 at 14:13
Regular
Theory:
At the point of physical death, the soul, essence, spirit, energy, - whatever you want to call it - is separated from the body and cascades back into the natural world and manifests in countless diverse lifeforms.
This energy isn't conscious, but it IS immortal - forever finding expression in a random and dislocated fashion.
For this energy, this "soul" to survive intact and conscious is surely too much to ask for.
Thus death is the end of individuality, but not the end of its existence.
Fri 29/03/02 at 10:39
Regular
"A square watermelon"
I wish I believed in reincarnation, but I don't. It's just that out of all the after-lifes I've thought about, I've come to the conclusion that reincarnation seems the most pleasant.

The idea that when we die, we just cease to exist? In some ways I say I believe in that, because it's comforting. Knowing that if something ever happens to me that causes a sudden and untimely death, I just won't know about it and it won't hurt me. However, at the same time that just terrifies me, because I can't even start to imagine what 'Not-existing' is like. You wouldn't even know you'd been alive to begin with, you wouldn't even know anything. It wouldn't just be a great blackness, because you wouldn't be able to 'see' the darkness. It's just a great lot of scary nothingness..

After-lives like heaven and hell? Well, I'm not Christian. I have no reason to believe in any religion and If I were made to say I was anything in particular, I would probably say Buddhist. I can't believe that there is this otherworldly area out there, were everyone goes when they die.

The beauty of reincarnation, to me at least, is that you get to start again. As a new creature, a completely new experience and like RBS, my animal of choice would be an eagle, just so I could fly..

But I guess science has ruined me in a way. I don't believe in any of the above really, because I just don't know. I couldn't say 'I think that when we die, we are all reincarnated', because I have nothing to back that up on.

I suppose that what I want to happen when I approach the time when I die, is to have no regrets about how I've spent my life. It's not dying itself I'm afraid of; It's dying with the knowledge I haven't lived my life to its potential.

Look, I'm rambling..
Fri 29/03/02 at 10:18
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
unknown kernel wrote:
The
> afterlife? Well none of us really know, do we? I'd love to have a strong
> conviction one way or the other

Would you? That surprises me quite a bit. I would hate to know the truth about what happens if we die.

I like to think that I will be extremely happy in my after-life. Everythink will be perfect and their would never be any reason for me to be upset. Never have to feel pain, sorrow or hurt again. This thought is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going. I know what you'll say, 'You are actually looking forward to death?' The answer is rather strangly, yes. This isn't all the time thought, sometimes the thought of death scares me. But I suppose it's all about curiosty about what will happen next.

If we found evidence that their is definately no afterlife, I would lose the thought of this forever. Making me even more scared of dieing. I don't want this and I'm quite surprised you do. I suppose we are all different though.
Fri 29/03/02 at 09:14
I don't think that there is an after-life at all, and that it's all a big farse thought up by a religious person. No disrespect to anyone here whom may be religious, but I don't believe in God, don't think he's our judge, jury or executioner, and think that once we die, our eyes close and we just cease to function, never seeing the light of day again. I'd say that the 'dead already' theory is far-fetched, as is the Truman Show one. The only one that makes remote sense to me is the Pentecost theory, but I'm still very skeptical of it.

Death is a big issue for me. No-one has ever died from my family or friends in my life so far, and I don't think that I'm prepared for when it's going to happen, because it's going to happen one day, that's for sure. I used to actually cry and lose sleep over death when I was 7 and 8, thinking about when I'm going to die, that I'll be forgotten and all the rest of it. I don't think of it as much now though, which is a relief, and I try to focus on the nice side of life, not the bad side of death. The only thing that scares me now is meteorites hitting the earth.
Fri 29/03/02 at 00:54
what really worrys me is te fact that we might all live long lives,achieve so much all for it to be thrown away when you die

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.