GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo = rubbish."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/03/02 at 09:44
Regular
I had the misforune to play halo yeaterday i have to say that is without a doubt the worse FPS i've ever ever played.

Though the graphics are good the controlls were fiddly, the eneimies could gun you down before you got near them. Your guns was poo.

I played for a good 10 mins to expeierenced the game and within ten minutes, i know whether a game is any good for not for me. This isn't.

*Me feel an arguement coming on*
Fri 29/03/02 at 21:20
Halo rubbish! What are you talking about. It is one of the best games I've ever been on. I bought the x-box just to get Halo. I think you need see a doctor ( if your lucky he might give you a prescription for a mental hospital )
Fri 29/03/02 at 00:32
i don't know if halo is rubbish, but i do know that what i've seen of it never really made me go wild with excitement, especially nowhere near 350 squibs worth of excitement.
the reason, when i look at a fps, there are things i notice. obviously, graphics muct be decent enough not to turn you off the game. also, it must look smooth and all that. but, one of the main things i like to see is, and you'll all think i'm evil cuz of this. is that you go about killing humans, not aliens or dinosaurs.
now, i admit, there are good games out there where a lotta alien shooting is done, for example half-life. but another thing i know is that the part of half-life where you shoot the army men is in my opinion 20 times as good as the earlier alien blasting you have to do.
i dunno what it is, but it could be, as terminator said so eloquently "its in your nature to destroy each other". the whole satisfaction of overcoming a human counterpart, even in a game, seems a greater feat than shooting an alien, as it just feels like men are harder to kill, no matter how good yer alien AI may be.
another reason for the desire to mow down my brethren is that often, in better quality titles, they'll die so realistically. take perfect dark or goldeneye, you shoot em in the stomach, they'll go down as you'd expect them to go down. compare this to half-life, where the aliens always just sorta freeze momentarily, then topple over on their backsides, no matter if you shot em in the foot! maybe you'll even get them to scream something in pain, like, "i don't wanna die". in my opinion this is better than a roar from a dying monster.
now, don't get me wrong, just cuz you shoot humans in a game doesn't mean i'd buy it over a superior monster mowing game, but i'd be more likely to just buy neither. this is why i never really was mad after halo, and why, whilst being tempting sometimes, the like of aliens versus predator will always remain on the shelf when i'm choosing a fps to purchase.
theres a wee bit of alien hunting in perfect dark, and i was very disappointed at the sorry excuse for a final boss (nothing at all on goldeneye's last battle), but i'll have high hopes that perfect dark 2 will have plenty of humans to dispose of. I am sure it will be a superior game to Halo, after all, its RARE, its a long time in development, and its a game that'll have to be made good to aid gamecube sales in the way it would be expected to.
Thu 28/03/02 at 21:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Halo is one of the best games I've played in ages, even one of the best I've played ever !

It makes a nice change from the usual FPS which tends to be running in like some invincible Rambo with 20 different guns, mowing down wave after wave of stupid CPU opponents that are about as intelligent as a squashed pea.

I had problems with the Warthog jeep when I first started playing, but once I knew the idea of how to steer it, I got a lot better at it.

As for someone moaning about the dark areas of the game, try pressing the small white button to turn your torch light on.

My cousin has been over my place a lot playing Halo in Co-Op. I think the last time I had such an excellent time on a game was back when I used to play Co-Op on Doom on the PS1. Halo is an excellent game, the fact that the ones moaning tend to be people who played it for 10 mins, not knowing much about the controls, etc or just people that didn't even bother trying to pick up the controller kinda underlines the lack of any real basis they have for their comments.
Thu 28/03/02 at 19:19
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive only seen videos of Halo and it looks good enough!! At the moment its the only game that tempts me into getting an X-Box!!
Thu 28/03/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Woah dude!"
The multiplayer aspect of it is fantastic!

As for the game itself ,stop moaning ,it's superb!
Wed 27/03/02 at 23:11
I played Halo recently at Tesco and it was not what i expented.

First off, the controller felt like a big blob of plastic with buttons put on. It seemed like no reasearch had been done to find out what a controller was!!

Anyway
The graphics: The first thing that hit me when playing Halo was how low the resoloution was. The jagged lines were showing more than i had expected them to but that isn't much of a big problem.

At the start of the demo you are in a jumpship which lands on a beach type thing and you and all your team jump out and start fighting.
The 'Aliens' seemed way to primitive sporting 'sheilds' and there design was not very origional. I found that it would have been eaiser to look with the left stick and move with the right but it wasn't and i couldn't change it.

After a 5 minute fight with wierd blob things a ship comes down and drops off a buggy type thing.
You have to be the driver in this other wise your team mates just stand there. There is no way of commanding your team. Upon getting in the driving seat aload of soilders jump in and command the gun on the back.
The controls for this vechicle were wierd because you adjust the camera which adjusts the steering as opposed to just turning. It SKIDS alot!!!
after driving for about 30 seconds you get to a base with aton of aleins around the place wich kill you. Again your team do hardly anything to help you and you die.
Afer spending some time on this part i DID manage to get in the base and the lighting was poor. I got to a locked door and decided to stop becasue it got boring.

This is a GOOD FPS but not revoultionary or brilliant. The graphics were not out of this world. A PS2 or a Gamecube could handle the same if not better.
And last the load time........................................................was long.

I don't see what all the hype is about! It is just a normal FPS with vechicles.

ROB 'OWARD
Wed 27/03/02 at 22:09
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Wow, your so well informed. So where did you get this inside info from ? Or is it just a guess out of spite ?
Wed 27/03/02 at 21:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Mr. Furby wrote:
> well halo is a good fps but not one that should have got 10/10 from the likes of
> edge magazine, mmmmmm sounds like a bribe from ms.

It was. Thats how edge make money.
Wed 27/03/02 at 20:17
The official mag didn't give it 10 out of 10 now thats something
Wed 27/03/02 at 20:15
"High polygon count"
I've said all along that it wasn't a 10/10 game. Originally based simply on what I'd read about it; but now that I own it and have played it, I stand by that opinion.

And Tyla - yes, you can reconfigure the controls for Halo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.