GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell Review and Demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell'.
Fri 01/11/02 at 18:24
Regular
Just got the new Offical Xbox Magazine with a playable demo of Splinter Cell which is very impressive. They gave it 9.0/10, but then they also gave FIFA 8.4/10 which is a joke. Lots of other reviews inlcuding:

Unreal Championship 9.2/10 **Getting this**
Sega GT 2002 8.5/10 **Looks a tad over-rated - playable on disc**
Rally Fusion 8.0/10 **Fair enough - probably**
Micro Machines 6.6/10 **Looks the same as it did 10 years ago**
Colin McRae Rally 3 8.9/10 **Got it - fair score**

Lots of stuff in this months edition, worth picking up for the Splinter demo alone.
Sun 03/11/02 at 11:50
garbe123 wrote:

> Would someone please out-line the demo explaining its strengths and
> weaknesses?

The controls take a bit of getting used to, as they are not inverted (which I would prefer) but I am sure this will be in the options of the full version.

The graphics look amazing at times, most notably when using night vision, but there are some graphical flaws which I hope will be removed. There is no specific animation for walking up/down stairs, resulting in it looking very odd when doing so. Spinning the camera round sometimes causes a brief glitch - I cant put my finger on what actually happens but I think it skips a frame or something.

The controls, although not as responsive as MGS, are pretty good on the whole and will take a short while to get use to. Holding people up is easy - just walk behind them and press A. Once you have them, you can interogate by pressing A again, take out your gun to shoot someone else by pressing X, or knock them out by pressing R.

The sound is very good - dropping a can in the hallway sounds very realistic as does the speech, guns, etc. When you use the health pack, the guy makes a sound like he has just finished jacking off.

No absailing in the demo, and I could figure out how to do the splits between two walls, probably because they were too far apart.

The only problem I have was the aiming mode. Its not first person like MGS but is a view from the side of the characters head, resulting in him blocking the view of a bit of the screen. If someone is to the left side of you when you are aiming, you wont see him unless you turn around slightly. And thats another thing, turning in the aiming mode is too slow. If someone moves and you need to turn 180, you will likely take a few shots before you have turned around. There may be an option to adjust this in the full version though.

On the whole, it's hard to tell if the game will be enjoyable throught as I dont know what the other mission will be like, but the the gameplay in the demo suggest that it should be.
Sun 03/11/02 at 11:02
Regular
Woah Woah Woah, slow down and lets get Splinter Cell straight. I am yet to play the demo but the previews have been fantastic. Would someone please out-line the demo explaining its strengths and weaknesses? Are the graphics as good as the screen shots? Whats it like to hold up guards? Are the sound effect good? What is it like to play, controls and fun factor? One last thing, can you absail or rope drop in the demo? Anything about the game would be helpful, Thanks.
Sat 02/11/02 at 23:54
the first one was good but 95 was indeed the best
Sat 02/11/02 at 23:47
Silent85 wrote:

> Apart from the mega drive incarnations

I loved FIFA 95 - at the time it was the best footy game ever. Since then, EA seem to have neglected the gameplay and concentrated on visuals, motion capture, commentary, etc. Hopefully they will see to this and bring the gameplay standard to that of Pro Evo - or better (can and should be done).

Back to Splinter Cell, having played the demo I get the feeling that it won't quite live up to it's massive expectations. However, I do believe that any Xbox owners interested should definately buy it and worry about it's flaws later as there is no doubt that the game has alot of quality.
Sat 02/11/02 at 22:32
I dunno lol but there is an example of what the levels consist of in the real game on xbox.ign.com
Sat 02/11/02 at 22:25
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Since FIFA 2001 they have been getting better and this one is the best one so far.

How did we get from Splinter Cell to FIFA?
Sat 02/11/02 at 22:02
Is it like World cup 2002 if so I have to say its improved alot
Sat 02/11/02 at 22:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
You were probably playing it on easy then mate as the default setting is amateur. On harder settings its pretty difficult to score with passes getting cut out and opposition never letting you have much time on the ball.

I think Fifa 2003 definatly has the best free kick system of any footie game. Scored an excellent free kick with Danny Murphy earlier from 35 yards. ;-) As for normal goals, I've scored some pretty decent ones since playing it this morning. :-)
Had a couple where I've knocked the ball through a defenders legs with Owen before slamming the ball into the back of the net.
A lot of the goals feel a lot more rewarding in this game. :-)

Only thing I'm having trouble with is the poxy air battles - very rarely seem to ever win the headers and stuff.
Sat 02/11/02 at 21:39
Nomad Soul wrote:
> Silent85 wrote:
> Have you got it?? if so enough said if not how do you know?
>
> *
>
> Because FIFA always has shallow gameplay - which is either good or
> bad, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I've never liked any
> of the FIFA games.

Apart from the mega drive incarnations
Sat 02/11/02 at 21:04
viperfire wrote:
> I think you must have had it on easy. I have been playing this game
> and its quite hard to get into a position where you can score. The
> defenders are at you all the time, I think it’s a big improvement all
> round.

It must have been on the default setting. Regardless of the difficulty setting though, there isn't alot of variety in the types of goals you can score, and you dont have as much control over the ball as you do in other football games.

People who didnt like the other FIFA's and bought this one hoping for a big improvement, might be inititally impressed. But I would be surprised if they didn't get bored of it very quickly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.