GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell Review and Demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell'.
Fri 01/11/02 at 18:24
Regular
Just got the new Offical Xbox Magazine with a playable demo of Splinter Cell which is very impressive. They gave it 9.0/10, but then they also gave FIFA 8.4/10 which is a joke. Lots of other reviews inlcuding:

Unreal Championship 9.2/10 **Getting this**
Sega GT 2002 8.5/10 **Looks a tad over-rated - playable on disc**
Rally Fusion 8.0/10 **Fair enough - probably**
Micro Machines 6.6/10 **Looks the same as it did 10 years ago**
Colin McRae Rally 3 8.9/10 **Got it - fair score**

Lots of stuff in this months edition, worth picking up for the Splinter demo alone.
Sun 03/11/02 at 22:25
its the gameplay that counts aint it.
Sun 03/11/02 at 22:14
garbe123 wrote:
> GT3 is boring and the lighting effects are extremly poor! I agree the
> background in PGR need some work but the cars out class the ones found
> in GT3, everything from the rear view mirror to the tyre effects
> everything in PGR in terms of the cars looks a lot better than GT3.
> The added bonus of Kudos Points and the ability to get points for
> tricks adds to the value of PGR.

In that case we disagree. In my opinion, the graphics in GT3 are better in every aspect, but PGR is still a great looking game. In terms of gameplay, I dont think it is a case of which is better - they are both different. I personally prefer the gameplay style of PGR as I find GT3 mostly boring. However, those who like tuning, upgrading and buying cars will not find a better game than GT3 - its just not for me and you.
Sun 03/11/02 at 22:03
Regular
GT3 is boring and the lighting effects are extremly poor! I agree the background in PGR need some work but the cars out class the ones found in GT3, everything from the rear view mirror to the tyre effects everything in PGR in terms of the cars looks a lot better than GT3. The added bonus of Kudos Points and the ability to get points for tricks adds to the value of PGR.
Sun 03/11/02 at 21:57
garbe123 wrote:
> The cars in PGR look better than the ones in GT3 but the backgrounds
> in GT3 have more texture! However when PGR 2 is released there will be
> a new daddy :)

Thats what I used to think, until I saw GT3 again. If you compare the two replays, you will see that not only are the textures and backrounds better, but so are the car models. If you get a chance, compare the two and I think you will be as surprised as I was.

I havent seen any videos of PGR2 yet, but I am looking forward to that game as I loved the first one. It will be interesting to see how much they have improved the graphics - the gameplay was spot on though.
Sun 03/11/02 at 21:48
Regular
The cars in PGR look better than the ones in GT3 but the backgrounds in GT3 have more texture! However when PGR 2 is released there will be a new daddy :)
Sun 03/11/02 at 21:36
garbe123 wrote:
> No amazing graphics? Have you tried:
>
> Dead or Alive 3
> Project Gotham Racing
> Halo
> Amped
> RalliSport
> Jet Set Radio Future
> Max Payne
> Silent Hill 2
> Hitman 2
>
> I think you will find enough eye candy in there to keep you going.

Dont get me wrong, these games all have great graphics - theres no doubt about it. What I meant was I havent seen a game that makes me say "I cant believe what I'm seeing". The only next-gen games to have done this are Gran Turismo 3 and NFL 2K3. The amazing thing is, when I first saw Project Gotham when Xbox whas lauched, I was very impressed with it thinking it looked better than GT3. I hadnt actually played or seen GT3 for about 8 months at that time, but I just did recently and was amazed at how good the graphics are - better than PGR. I honestly cant think of a game that looks better.

I am sure alot of people would disagree with me, but I feel no-one has taken full advantage of XBOXs graphical power, and am looking forward to the day it happens. For example, if the GT3 developers were to re-develope it specifically for XBOX (not a port), I think that would blow everything else away.
Sun 03/11/02 at 21:11
Regular
No amazing graphics? Have you tried:

Dead or Alive 3
Project Gotham Racing
Halo
Amped
RalliSport
Jet Set Radio Future
Max Payne
Silent Hill 2
Hitman 2

I think you will find enough eye candy in there to keep you going.
Sun 03/11/02 at 21:07
gamezfreak wrote:
> The demo might be an early version of the game, so the finished
> product most likely will look (and play) alot nicer.
>
> The graphics are lush in my opinion, any glitches will be ironed out
> in time...

I hope you're right - it would be a pleasant surprise. I personally dont think the graphics are lush (except for nightvision mode), but thats just me. Maybe my standards are too high. With the exception of NFL 2K3 (for which I saw a DVD preview), I have yet to be highly impressed by any XBOX game graphically.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:53
Regular
The demo might be an early version of the game, so the finished product most likely will look (and play) alot nicer.

The graphics are lush in my opinion, any glitches will be ironed out in time...
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:41
garbe123 wrote:
> All of the people I have spoken to so far have said the DEMO is superb
> and definitley a contender for GOTY!

> Would the DEMO keep me going and give me a nice little taster until
> then? Is it a DEMO that you play over and over until the full version is > released?

It is impossible to tell from the demo whether the full game will be as big as we all hope. Its just an introduction to the ideas the game is based around - we will have to find out whether or not they are put to good use in the final version. The gameplay seems to be very good, so it all depends on the quality of the missions. We're all gonna buy it anyway so we will find out soon enough.

Its really not worth getting the demo. You will die on your first few tries whilst learning the controls, complete the mission on your next few, and then play a few more times to look for things you may have missed. I have played it about ten times and dont really want to anymore - theres nothing left to do or see. All of this is within a couple of days, so you will still have to wait the rest of the month anyway. Might as well save the money and wait.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.