GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gamecube is destined to fail!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/11/02 at 20:19
Regular
I am sure I will get tons of hate messages for this but still it has to be said.

After the 90 million pound fine and the xbox selling more in one week I feel that (to my sadness) that Gamecube will have it last year next year.

With the Ps2 still storming the market and the neverending pockets of microsoft I believe that the market is to small to have 3 consoles in.

I think in order for Nintendo to stay in the market is for them to make a first person shooter that will change the market like Goldeneye did.

Mario Kart will have to be amazing which I believe it will be. Maybe bring out an expansion pack so the GC can have more Ram and better graphics. Make a game like GTA and advertise more. I see more adverts for ps2 and xbox than for GC.

Come on Nintendo I am counting on you.
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:19
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I am sure I will get tons of hate messages for this but still it has to be said.

After the 90 million pound fine and the xbox selling more in one week I feel that (to my sadness) that Gamecube will have it last year next year.

With the Ps2 still storming the market and the neverending pockets of microsoft I believe that the market is to small to have 3 consoles in.

I think in order for Nintendo to stay in the market is for them to make a first person shooter that will change the market like Goldeneye did.

Mario Kart will have to be amazing which I believe it will be. Maybe bring out an expansion pack so the GC can have more Ram and better graphics. Make a game like GTA and advertise more. I see more adverts for ps2 and xbox than for GC.

Come on Nintendo I am counting on you.
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:25
Regular
davidsobell wrote:

> After the 90 million pound fine and the xbox selling more in one week
> I feel that (to my sadness) that Gamecube will have it last year next
> year.

So they get fined what's really pocket change to them and the Xbox sells more in a week in the UK than the Gamecube and you jump to the conclusion that the Cube is going to fail and only has a year of life left?

You're a bit pessimistic really aren't you?
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:27
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> davidsobell wrote:
>
> After the 90 million pound fine and the xbox selling more in one
> week
> I feel that (to my sadness) that Gamecube will have it last year
> next
> year.
>
> So they get fined what's really pocket change to them and the Xbox
> sells more in a week in the UK than the Gamecube and you jump to the
> conclusion that the Cube is going to fail and only has a year of life
> left?
>
> You're a bit pessimistic really aren't you?

Well yes! I am pessimistic but still the ps2 has won the console war. The xbox has unlimited funds. Where does that leave the Gamecube?
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:30
Regular
davidsobell wrote:
> Well yes! I am pessimistic but still the ps2 has won the console war.
> The xbox has unlimited funds. Where does that leave the Gamecube?

Just cause the Xbox had what seems like unlimited funds doesn't mean for a minute that it's going to suceed, remember the Gamecube has still sold more units than the Xbox. With a release list that just gets better and better, the Cube is not going to fail.
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:31
Regular
davidsobell wrote:
> I am sure I will get tons of hate messages for this but still it has
> to be said.

Not at all, just a few corrections :D.

> year.

First of all, the fine went from £5.4 million to £9.2 million very quickly and drastically, so you can expect the appeal to bring that crashing back down to a much lower fine. Secondly, Nintendo started putting money away back in 1998 for this eventuality, so it's been prepared for.

And finally, though the X-Box is selling more in weeks and years in the UK and US, I can assure you it's only very slightly, and because Nintendo have such a lead in Japan, they are winning second place in the worldwide weekly and yearly sales.

> With the Ps2 still storming the market and the neverending pockets of
> microsoft I believe that the market is to small to have 3 consoles
> in.

Neverending pockets, maybe, but Microsoft have stated now that they will NEVER make any profit on the X-Box - and people still think it's becoming the new Dreamcast. If anyone's going to pull out - it'll be Microsoft.

> I think in order for Nintendo to stay in the market is for them to
> make a first person shooter that will change the market like Goldeneye
> did.

Rest assured - Metroid Prime and Die Hard: Vendetta will do this.

> Mario Kart will have to be amazing which I believe it will be. Maybe
> bring out an expansion pack so the GC can have more Ram and better
> graphics. Make a game like GTA and advertise more. I see more adverts
> for ps2 and xbox than for GC.

Power and expansion aren't needed as the GameCube is a very powerful console - very close to the X-Box's oh-so-magnificent specs. On the advertising front I agree though, Nintendo need to get their Christmas strategy together if they're going to steal the sales this year.

> Come on Nintendo I am counting on you.

Don't worry - the GameCube is here to stay.
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:33
Regular
still, Ninty got £250 million for Rare, so I don't think so

Microsoft lose money for each X-Box sold, so they make money from software, they give away 2 games for free, Good Idea? NO.
Sun 10/11/02 at 20:35
Regular
"She's a dog!"
Anyway I hope that Bill Gates stops trying out the console market and instead makes a Windows with less errors. He should count his losses and come to the conclusion that he has failed at something.
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:38
Regular
> year.

First of all, the fine went from £5.4 million to £9.2 million very quickly and drastically, so you can expect the appeal to bring that crashing back down to a much lower fine. Secondly, Nintendo started putting money away back in 1998 for this eventuality, so it's been prepared for.

Sorry, but you are wrong there.

The fine was 5.4 million in europe and a further 92 million in the US.
Nintendo couldnt have prepared for this otherwise they wouldnt have done it in the first place.

Also, 97.4 million total isnt very much to a company like them.
So, in short the Gamecube will not fail in the coming months or even years.
If it were destined to fail it would have already done so
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:41
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
ok mafias coming exclusively console wise to gc which i have played and is utterly fantastic (in my opinion better than gta (gasp))
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:42
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
im sorry, whjat was the fine for, i have been a coma you see

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.