GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question - please humour me."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/11/02 at 17:21
Regular
I don't come to this forum often. Indeed, i don't own a PS2, nor a PSONE, or any other Sony product. I therefore have little need to be here.

But, being in the FOG chat forum, idiot fanboys such as Dave RJR continually spout rubbish on why he thinks the PS2 is the best console in the history of the universe. Yet, on my experiences of having come here, I have witnessed the following:

Everyone reveres GTA3
Everyone still reveres GTA3
People buy FFX
People quickly get bemused with FFX
Everyone reveres GTA3
Everyone gets excited by GTA:VC
Everyone reveres GTA:VC

Is there a trend here? For all the hype, it seems that PS2 owners lack variety. The games are certainly available, but your "must buy" games list appears thin, and the only REAL "must have" games are those two that make me physically ill.

Please tell me you people have something more to go on than a couple of titles that have been available almost since launch, and a few updates that have become available for them.
Tue 12/11/02 at 16:54
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> And as a final refute to your post, the PS2 does NOT "have
> something for everybody".
>
> Nope, no siree.

Oh, it does. Quality titles in every genre. Just like the other two platforms.

The fact that you choose to dislike them all - in many cases, seemingly just for the sake of argument - is a fault that lies with yourself, not the PS2 software selection.
Tue 12/11/02 at 17:05
Regular
It does seem that Darwookiee and Wok Monster have a point. Liking one game on one platform, but refusing to even consider a similar game on another, simply because of high standards, lol! If that were the case, truly, then there would be a lot of swapping going on between lists.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Darwock wrote:
He is a tw@t.
Not only that, a tw@t who starts sentences with phrases like
> "Consider,".

---

I'm actually laughing out loud at this.
Fantastic.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:29
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Insane Bartender wrote:

> Oh, I've no doubt about it. The "library of games" is
> certainly vast, but many of the games seem to me to be chaff, and far
> too much of it doesn't appeal for me to take an interest in the few
> games that remain.

Maybe you ought to actually try PS2 games rather than spouting the inane, blatantly wrong and clearly biased opinion that they don't meet your high standards.

> Other games that catch my eye are RPGs, and like FPS games, the PC
> dominates this genre.

Final Fantasy is the best example of a RPG, even if it doesn't float your boat.

> So while I have no doubts that your line-up is great quality for you,
> to me, it is ridden with chaff, and even the XBOX surpasses it.

Try before you decry you snooty troll.
>
> But I'm not so "narrow-minded" as you minght think.

Right, and this thread has just convinced us of that.

I'm
> perfectly aware that different people like different games. Christ,
> some people even liked Red Faction. So I'm not going to say "your
> line up is crap", or try to stereotype you, even as you are so
> ready to do to me.

Are they? Where?

> Instead, I will say only that your games do not
> appeal to me.

Not owning a PS2 invalidates your opinion.

> And as a final refute to your post, the PS2 does NOT "have
> something for everybody".

Rot.

Another pile of nicely worded drivel from the Bartender. Does it ever occur to you that your opinion just might not be wanted in this forum. How would you like it if someone said PC games weren't up to much?
But never mind, you plough on with your apathetic disregard for the world around you and heap this load of mangled viewpoints in our faces. Well done IB, you just get more and more friends.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:37
"Darkness, always"
Whatever. I've played plenty of games on both PS2 and Gamecube, not much experience on the XBOX though.

Nothing on PS2 has tickled my fancy, yet 10 of the 11 games I've played on the GameCube have been great for me.

I'm not writing off the PS2 for no reason other than standards, I'm writing it off for me because I didn't like the games. Simple really. The stirring man juice and frothing mouths that have resulted in this thread only highlight your own stupidity.

You are talking to someone who has owned plenty of gaming platforms. Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Nes, Gameboy, SNES, PS1, Atari Jaguar, N64, PC, GameCube etc. Sure, I've always had a flavour for Nintendo, but that's because they produce games that appeal to me.

Format is not important, games are important, and I'll buy whatever format i fancy. God knows I earn enough to have a lot of freedom in my choices. I could easilly walk out and buy a PS2 and ten games, but they'd never get played. Even the rich who spend foolishly are still foolish.

And if you can't begin a sentence with "consider", then that is your failing, not mine.

Oh, I'm not perfect. In times past, I was definitely what you would call a "ninty". Loved nintendo, hated sega. I've been prejudiced, I've been a bully. I have been and still am arrogant, and stubborn. But all I asked here was a little confirmation that you all weren't hiding under the fame of a few select games, and all you do is rave. My question was answered far back down this thread, and I was willing to leave it, until people started acting like idiot PS2 fanboys.

I'm sure there are a number of happy PS2 owners playing games they enjoy, same so with XBOX and Gamecube and PC. That I do not now own a PS2, am not considering buying one, and following your dumb efforts to rouse my anger, through stubborness, probably never will own a PS2, is not cause for you to put me down.

As Goatboy all too often states, he considers me a troll. More because I am stubborn and too often refuse to back down from provocation than anything else. Go ahead an continue to make dumb comments about someone who wasn't looking for a fight. I'll continue to reply to your non-sensical lunacy, for no reason other that you can't stop me doing so.

With any luck, what I've said here is enough for you to know not to start up any more.

However, I don't have that much faith.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:46
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Go ahead an continue to make dumb comments about
> someone who wasn't looking for a fight.

I'll believe that when cows start flying.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:49
"Darkness, always"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Maybe you ought to actually try PS2 games rather than spouting the
> inane, blatantly wrong and clearly biased opinion that they don't meet
> your high standards.

As stated, I've tried plenty.

> Final Fantasy is the best example of a RPG, even if it doesn't float
> your boat.

1) the best FF games are years old now
2) FF is far and away NOT the best example of an RPG. It doesn't even compare to the likes of Baldur's Gate - a true RPG.

> Try before you decry you snooty troll.

As stated before, I have tried plenty. Try reading, you fool.

> Right, and this thread has just convinced us of that.

I doubt it's convinced you of anything, since you are only interested in rousing my anger, rather than listening to anything I say.

> Are they? Where?

People don't need to state their intentions for them to be known to me. It's quite plain that I'm viewed as the close-minded, ignorant critic, who puts down anything not within his sphere of responsibility. This view is so wrong it would be comical, were it not for the fact that I have stated several times, dozens perhaps over the last months, that I have played PS2 games, and never enjoyed them.

> Not owning a PS2 invalidates your opinion.

Knowing several people who do is enough. Do I have to own a PS2 to play the games? Do I? Ignorant muppet.

> Rot.
>
> Another pile of nicely worded drivel from the Bartender. Does it ever
> occur to you that your opinion just might not be wanted in this forum.
> How would you like it if someone said PC games weren't up to much?
> But never mind, you plough on with your apathetic disregard for the
> world around you and heap this load of mangled viewpoints in our
> faces. Well done IB, you just get more and more friends.

I didn't dump "the opinion" on the forums, I asked a simple question, it got answered, and I was ready to leave the thread to fall before the fanboys decided to have their say. I have played PS2 games, I have played XBOX games (though very little), I have played more than you could imagine. Only one console holds my attention, and I've not attempted to turn anyone to my ideas, not tried to convert the fanboys, not even tried to tell these people that their games were crap, because AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE I'm perfectly aware that what I dislike, others may adore.

Your post is another magnificent example of you deciding to take a fight to me for no reason other than to waste your own time. To be quite frank, I find it irritating.

And i doubt it will come as a surprise to you that I don't consider anyone on these forums "a friend". Perhaps my definition differs from yours. Goatboy isn't my friend. Nor are you, nor is cipro, nor are belldandy, fuzzy, wookie, ortega, rosalind, monkey man, grix, meka or anyone else I deal with on here.

I don't come here to make people like me in a sad effort to bump my own self esteem.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I can understand where your coming from Insane Bartender.

I have played on all three of the consoles of the moment. I currently own a PS2 and I am saving up to buy ,because I'm skint as hell not rolling in cash like you, a gamecube (for games like Mario Bumchime, Pikmin and of course the forthcoming Final Fantasy games).

I have no interest whatever in buying an X-Box however. Its not because there are no games on it that I wouldn't enjoy, but the games that I would consider are only fill in games that I can find adequate replacement for on my PS2. My problem probably lies in the fact that the X-Box has many FPS of which I am not a fan, and sequels of games that I already own on the PS2.

If I posted this view in the X-Box forum I would be immediately slated as a sonyphile fangirl or something similar, but i'm not. I just don't think that it is the console for me (and my love of RPGs). Fair play to anyone who likes the sort of games the X-Box has to offer. I hope you and your console are very happy :)
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:55
FIN !
?
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Seems to be IB was just asking PS2 owners what they felt about their consoles and whether they felt there were decent enough titles about.

I had a PS2, sold it to get a Gamecube and realised it wasn't for me. Stuck with my Xbox and PC, and have recently bought another PS2 to play Vice City on.

Because I loved GTA3 and it fitted my gaming requirements. Nintendo dont, therefore I dont buy Nintendo but I at least tried one.
It's all just opinions, dont take them so seriously folks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.