GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question - please humour me."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/11/02 at 17:21
Regular
I don't come to this forum often. Indeed, i don't own a PS2, nor a PSONE, or any other Sony product. I therefore have little need to be here.

But, being in the FOG chat forum, idiot fanboys such as Dave RJR continually spout rubbish on why he thinks the PS2 is the best console in the history of the universe. Yet, on my experiences of having come here, I have witnessed the following:

Everyone reveres GTA3
Everyone still reveres GTA3
People buy FFX
People quickly get bemused with FFX
Everyone reveres GTA3
Everyone gets excited by GTA:VC
Everyone reveres GTA:VC

Is there a trend here? For all the hype, it seems that PS2 owners lack variety. The games are certainly available, but your "must buy" games list appears thin, and the only REAL "must have" games are those two that make me physically ill.

Please tell me you people have something more to go on than a couple of titles that have been available almost since launch, and a few updates that have become available for them.
Mon 11/11/02 at 19:51
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> OK, you guys seem happy enough. It's just that your forum seems
> dominated by a few games only.

At this moment in time, yes it does - but that's because a few great games have just been released.

By your own admission, you don't come here that often, so how can you judge?

This forum is no worse than the Nintendo forum around the release of any major title (e.g. Mario, Metroid Prime and others), or the the Xbox forum was with Halo and will be again with Splinter Cell.

True, we have too many threads relating to Vice City at the moment, but many of them have been started by people relatively new to these forums who don't understand that we *usually* keep things limited to just a handful of threads per title. You'll see a number of comments about it from the regulars in many of the threads, asking people to keep to the 'main' threads.
Mon 11/11/02 at 19:52
"period drama"
Well, I have to say that out of all the consoles PS2 definatly has the best line-up this winter and on into next year.
If you own either other console, would you mind saying what games exactly 'light your pants on fire' , maybe then we'll be able to tell you a game to suit your needs.

I'm also quite sure that PS2 has pretty much complete variety - covering all genres with several options.
Fighting,
Driving,
FPS,
Action,
Platformer,
Puzzle Games,
Sports.
Pretty much everything really.

I'd actually say that out of every one you are probably the most narrow-minded as not one of the games mentioned gets your interest.
What DO you like then: "Super, Super, Bish-Bash Fly-Swat Castle Broom-Broom Aligator Number 16"?

Whatever
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:18
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Same could be said of XBOX owners revering Halo. Nothing wrong with everyone buying a good game. Although I for one have never been all that caught up in Final Fantasy.
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:49
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
> I guess the fact that not a single one of these titles lights my pants
> aflame is testament enough as to why I don't own a PS2.
>

how many of them have you actually given a chance and played for more than 20mins to actually see if they are any good?

if as you say 'NONE' of them appeal, then what kind of games do you actually like?

ps. also add Devil May Cry(1 & 2) to the list
Tue 12/11/02 at 14:47
"Darkness, always"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Well, I have to say that out of all the consoles PS2 definatly has the
> best line-up this winter and on into next year.
> If you own either other console, would you mind saying what games
> exactly 'light your pants on fire' , maybe then we'll be able to tell
> you a game to suit your needs.

Games I'm personally looking forward to are:

Starfox Adventures
Zelda
Metroid Prime
Super Monkey Ball 2
IceWind Dale II
Championship Manager 4
Die Hard
Soul Calibre 2
Wario World
MechWarrior 4
And several star wars titles including Knights of the Old Republic, Galaxies, Bounty Hunter, Clone Wars etc etc etc.

Obviously, a few of these are available on PS2, the rest reside on GC or PC only.

> I'm also quite sure that PS2 has pretty much complete variety -
> covering all genres with several options.
> Fighting,
> Driving,
> FPS,
> Action,
> Platformer,
> Puzzle Games,
> Sports.
> Pretty much everything really.

Oh, I've no doubt about it. The "library of games" is certainly vast, but many of the games seem to me to be chaff, and far too much of it doesn't appeal for me to take an interest in the few games that remain.

Games I'd like to have on PS2:

err, LOTR?

> I'd actually say that out of every one you are probably the most
> narrow-minded as not one of the games mentioned gets your interest.
> What DO you like then: "Super, Super, Bish-Bash Fly-Swat Castle
> Broom-Broom Aligator Number 16"?

No need to get hairy you filthy puppet. I like a lot of different games. Perhaps my standards are just higher than most. Consider, games such as Total War, StarCraft, WarCraft, Diablo, Warrior Kings, etc etc etc on PC. The genre to be seen here is strategy, easilly my preferred genre, and something which the PS2 is left wanting in terms of quality.

Consider further, ISS2, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Sunshine. Simple, fun, pick up and playable games. While the PS2 does have some of these, I have to say that Sega and Nintendo make these better than most, and there's only one place I can get games from both.

Other games that catch my eye are RPGs, and like FPS games, the PC dominates this genre.

So while I have no doubts that your line-up is great quality for you, to me, it is ridden with chaff, and even the XBOX surpasses it.

But I'm not so "narrow-minded" as you minght think. I'm perfectly aware that different people like different games. Christ, some people even liked Red Faction. So I'm not going to say "your line up is crap", or try to stereotype you, even as you are so ready to do to me. Instead, I will say only that your games do not appeal to me.

And as a final refute to your post, the PS2 does NOT "have something for everybody".

Nope, no siree.
Tue 12/11/02 at 14:54
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Insane Bartender, you are just a troll. You're trying to start a 'PS2 is a crap console' argument but under the guise of discussion. You can read the bitterness under the surface of every sentence you write. Get a life.
Tue 12/11/02 at 15:05
"Darkness, always"
shut up you fool.

read the thread properly.

I've said quite plainly that I'm not here trolling and putting the console down. Like I said, I'm sure the games appeal to YOU.
Tue 12/11/02 at 16:37
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yep, you can say you're not trolling but that doesn't change the fact that you are. Bitter, bitter, man....
Tue 12/11/02 at 16:39
Darwock, is it just me, or are you an idiot?

Just wondering...
Tue 12/11/02 at 16:46
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Oh, what, you think Mr. Bartender actually has an open mind to the games on the PS2? That he actually came here to learn why the PS2 is so popular because he's interested in buying one? That's why he's dismissing every single title that is mentioned, despite the fact he claims to be interested in similar titles on other platforms? Nope, he just wants to make PS2 users feel stupid, as he doesn't think they live up to his high standards. He is a tw@t.

Not only that, a tw@t who starts sentences with phrases like "Consider,".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.