GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"disc read error!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/11/02 at 16:58
Regular
right my gta: vice city was fine when i brought it now every so often it says disc read error! does any body know y this is happenin or how i cud stop it from happinen? thanks
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Black pepper?"
right my gta: vice city was fine when i brought it now every so often it says disc read error! does any body know y this is happenin or how i cud stop it from happinen? thanks
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Take care of your discs :). Could mean your PS2 is going duff, or that you have let your copy of VC get dirty and scratched. Also do you take out the game from the PS2 when you turn it off, or do you leave games in.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:03
Regular
"Black pepper?"
leave them in. is that a bad thing :-(
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
> leave them in. is that a bad thing :-(

Yeah could be. As some times the laser can burn the disc.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:07
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I leave discs in for ages and they allways work ok, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Do you have your machine on it's side or sitting down?
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:08
"High polygon count"
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
> leave them in. is that a bad thing :-(

Not necessarily. I usually leave games in if I know they're what I'll be playing next time I have the machine on.

Do you have your PS2 vertical or horizontal? If you have it vertical, try switching to horizontal - that can help.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
adrian wrote:
> Yeah could be. As some times the laser can burn the disc.

Err...how can the laser burn the DVD/CD when it's switched off? DVD Players don't have these kind of problems......neither do CD players, I think we'd have heard something about this ages ago if this was the case!
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Black pepper?"
i have it sitting down. how can it help wookiemonster? cos i'm a bit p***d that my vice city is doin this i'm sure u know how i feel.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Do you switch your machine off at the back when you've finished playing or do you leave it in standby mode?

I personally switch it off at the back to allow the machine to cool down.

My VC copy froze up on 3 occasions where it tried to access the disk, left the machine off over night and all day (work :-( ) and tried the mission first thing in the evening and it worked first time.

Just a thought but it could be over heating.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:16
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Oh ok thanks for the advice.

I turn it off at the back, anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.