GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Sun And How It EXISTS :D (I worked it out in chemistry)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/11/02 at 18:44
Regular
Anyway like the title says I worked out how our Sun exists. Everyone knows that the sun is just a star (well a really big star but anyway) and like every star it is basically composed of burning gas wanting to blow it up but like every star it has a gravitational field wanting to crush it into a ball. So since there is this perfert balance between the two forces one wanting to expand out the other wanting to crush it in there star stays in being. Of course the gas still burns away but it happens so slowly the gravity has time to adjust stopping it going super nova. However if we were to take a lump of gas out of the sun suddenly then the gravity would have no time to adjust causing a chin reaction that ultimatley leads to the sun exploding and everyones death. All stars go super nova eventually and although the sun is so big it will be lethal when it does it still has a lot of time left before it blows. So unless they develope a extremely strong material with an extremely high melting point that can survive such an explosion however we are safe until it happens by natural causes...Anyway this was another random yet insightful topic by Cubist hope you enjoyed :D
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:48
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Azul˛°°˛ wrote:
> You were practically asking for it, :-D

I was that's why I prompted in brackets heh heh
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I thought 'The Sun' was made by a printing press.

:)
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:53
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
*Badum-tisch*
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
to my knowlege the sun is not big enough to go 'nova. in 5 billion years it will swell and engulf mercury and venus and make earth uninhabitable. It would need to be ALOT bigger to go nova. If it was even bigger it could form a black hole. But it isn't.
Tue 19/11/02 at 20:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
lol! I'm going for a degree in astro-physics actually, considering i got 98% in my recent Earth and Space test in revision for the Mocks we have in two weeks. Still, back to the topic. :D

I'm not sure that would happen Cubist. You'd have to take (at least) half of the gas from inside the Sun away. Besides, the constant nuclear reactions would prevent any such thing happening, but hey, we can dream.

:D
Tue 19/11/02 at 21:53
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
to my vauge knowledge the sun will turn into a white dwarf star after its done its whole planet engulfing thing
white dwarf is like red dwarf only not as funny :)
*hides constellations wall chart and puts astrophysics book away*
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:04
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Cubist wrote:
> Of course the gas still burns away but
> it happens so slowly the gravity has time to adjust stopping it going
> super nova.

600 million tonnes per second is not slow, in my opinion. There is a LOT of it to get through, though...

> However if we were to take a lump of gas out of the sun
> suddenly then the gravity would have no time to adjust causing a chin
> reaction that ultimatley leads to the sun exploding and everyones
> death.

The gravity of the sun is determined by its mass. If you remove 'a lump' of gas, the gravity adjusts instantly. Likewise, the outward force caused by the fusion reaction is also dependant entirely on the amount of gas present, so this force would also redress itself instantly. How suddenly you remove the gas won't make a difference. What will though, is how much you take. If you remove enough, the pressure will be reduced and the conditions will no longer be sufficient for fusion. You'd end up with a 'gas giant' planet, much like Jupiter or Saturn.
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:05
Regular
I like doing Astro-physics as it is interesting and fun to learn about how our earth was made and all other things around it, HMMMM, INTERESTING.

~J $@V0~
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:07
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Compared to a giant and supergiant star the sun is a pebble. The sun is only a main sequence star at the moment.
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:27
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Bah, the Sun is just a fairytale. It is an illusion created by spacemonkeys who want to blind us from the truth.

Don't believe the lies they teach you at school.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.