GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Sun And How It EXISTS :D (I worked it out in chemistry)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/11/02 at 18:44
Regular
Anyway like the title says I worked out how our Sun exists. Everyone knows that the sun is just a star (well a really big star but anyway) and like every star it is basically composed of burning gas wanting to blow it up but like every star it has a gravitational field wanting to crush it into a ball. So since there is this perfert balance between the two forces one wanting to expand out the other wanting to crush it in there star stays in being. Of course the gas still burns away but it happens so slowly the gravity has time to adjust stopping it going super nova. However if we were to take a lump of gas out of the sun suddenly then the gravity would have no time to adjust causing a chin reaction that ultimatley leads to the sun exploding and everyones death. All stars go super nova eventually and although the sun is so big it will be lethal when it does it still has a lot of time left before it blows. So unless they develope a extremely strong material with an extremely high melting point that can survive such an explosion however we are safe until it happens by natural causes...Anyway this was another random yet insightful topic by Cubist hope you enjoyed :D
Thu 21/11/02 at 17:20
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
so the sun can make you go blind in both cases then
hur hur
Thu 21/11/02 at 15:43
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
splint59 wrote:
> if the sun was not here we would not be alive.

If The Sun were not here our internet team would need even more cleavages on their iMac desktop pictures.
Wed 20/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
if the sun was not here we would not be alive.
Wed 20/11/02 at 19:19
Microchips wrote:
> lol! I'm going for a degree in astro-physics actually, considering i
> got 98% in my recent Earth and Space test in revision for the Mocks we
> have in two weeks

err, evil things.
had my physics mock on teusday. we were meant to get 3 more weeks of revision time but ofsted are coming in then so we've be pushed into the sports hall for a week of lovly exams.

damn ofsted *mutters under breath*
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:44
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Untitled wrote:
> but the sun is a tiny star compared to all the others in the universe,
> and so it will become a white dwarf when it eventually dies, but by
> that time no-one will be able to see it, unless we colonise some other
> planet

Even when it does burn out we will have to wait a LONNNNNGGG time before it finally wastes all it's light. It would be cooler if the sun was a supergiant star then uddenl just exploded in a huge supernova. It would release more energy that it ever had in all it's years of existance and blow us dead. That would be Soooooooo cool......oh yea, I mean bad...:|
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:39
Regular
"aliens exist"
but the sun is a tiny star compared to all the others in the universe, and so it will become a white dwarf when it eventually dies, but by that time no-one will be able to see it, unless we colonise some other planet
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:27
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Bah, the Sun is just a fairytale. It is an illusion created by spacemonkeys who want to blind us from the truth.

Don't believe the lies they teach you at school.
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:07
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Compared to a giant and supergiant star the sun is a pebble. The sun is only a main sequence star at the moment.
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:05
Regular
I like doing Astro-physics as it is interesting and fun to learn about how our earth was made and all other things around it, HMMMM, INTERESTING.

~J $@V0~
Tue 19/11/02 at 22:04
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Cubist wrote:
> Of course the gas still burns away but
> it happens so slowly the gravity has time to adjust stopping it going
> super nova.

600 million tonnes per second is not slow, in my opinion. There is a LOT of it to get through, though...

> However if we were to take a lump of gas out of the sun
> suddenly then the gravity would have no time to adjust causing a chin
> reaction that ultimatley leads to the sun exploding and everyones
> death.

The gravity of the sun is determined by its mass. If you remove 'a lump' of gas, the gravity adjusts instantly. Likewise, the outward force caused by the fusion reaction is also dependant entirely on the amount of gas present, so this force would also redress itself instantly. How suddenly you remove the gas won't make a difference. What will though, is how much you take. If you remove enough, the pressure will be reduced and the conditions will no longer be sufficient for fusion. You'd end up with a 'gas giant' planet, much like Jupiter or Saturn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.