GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Maxx PC - opinions?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/11/02 at 12:12
Regular
I am in the market for a new PC for my house ( I am on my business one now) and am thinking about the SR 2.4ghz maxx 4D

I realise it would be unfair to recomend other companies but can anyone advise possible pro's and con's of this system

Is it worthwhile upgrading any off the components and do you agree with my idea about going for the more affordable 2.4ghz and upgrade it in a year or two when I could pick up a 2.8ghz for a quarter of the price

Any help would be appreciated
Wed 18/12/02 at 15:40
"You love us!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> I Know a lot about the max pc range and if you was to add up all the components and the 1 years warrenty that comes with it i bet you will find yourself eating your words mate, they use only top quality stuff,

£100 says i know more about them you you do (unless you happen to be the guy at SR who actually builds them)! Hmmm, well just for the record i used to work at SR as a PC component buyer and also spent a few weeks in the PC build department (before i moved to the Internet Department) so yes, i do know i thing or to about what components they use, how they put their machines together and the quality/price involved.

I could go through the indivisual components of any MAX PC you care to name, and list each component that makes it up, the price of the component on it's own, plus a website where you could buy it at that price. And i would bet you now, that you'd save *at least* £200 - if not more.

To be honest, i have lost all interest now. *no*, i haven't changed what i belive, but to be honest, if people want to go to an off the shelf PC shop and buy a machine, and *think* they are getting a good deal then so be it.

It isn't my money your wasting, it's only your own. And as a result, i couldn't give a **** how much of it you waste.
Tue 17/12/02 at 20:42
Regular
I bet you don't save as much as you think on these PC's I Know a lot about the max pc range and if you was to add up all the components and the 1 years warrenty that comes with it i bet you will find yourself eating your words mate, they use only top quality stuff, and i agree 100% with miserableman, if the person does not know what they are doing then they are more than likely going to get stuff wrong even just putting the IDE cables in the wrong way, i am never supprised by the amount of stuff i see come back from customers because of stupid faults, like hard drives that are not detected by the customers pc and all it is is they didnt know you have to partition it, also have motherboards back as they are not compatible with customers CPU's, the other day a customer sent a Motherboard back because it had onboard sound and he already had a sound card?, work that out, i think it is people like you that make people believe they can do it all there selves and then they just get frustrated when something goes wrong, which it inevitably will, then you have to fault find it yourself instead of contacting the supplier and getting it sorted for you (unless it is a PC world or tiny PC).

Before you ask i am one of those PC technicians you talk about, this does not mean i can only put a PC together, you should try telling someone from scratch how to build one and then try to teach the the more intricate parts of pc's, it's a nightmare i tell you.

c.b.
Mon 09/12/02 at 18:34
"You love us!"
Miserableman wrote:
> Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> They are foolish because they could be saving money.
>
>
>
> That's the stupidest thing I've heard this week. Open your eyes - do
> you think that a person with no experience messing with hardware would
> be able to build an ENTIRE PC? Do you think they'd even know what
> parts they'd need to get it working, or what parts are better than
> others?
>
> Sure PC components just fit together like lego, the list of things a
> PC novice would not be able to do beggars belief. Setting up the
> processor speed in the BIOS? Nah, they'd let it run, and be oblivious
> that their processor crawling along at 50% capacity. Partitioning and
> formatting the hard disk? No chance. Installing device drivers?
> Tricky.
>
> This is all assuming something doesn't go wrong, like the memory is
> dud or the heatsink isn't seated properly. Last two new motherboards I
> ordered didn't work for ages, then mysteriously kicked into life.
> Should the modem drivers be incompatible with the installed OS, you're
> going to have a hell of a time downloading new graphics card
> drivers.
>
> You need experience with PC parts before you can try your hand at
> building a full system. If you've installed a new hard disk, changed a
> graphics card, done at least some work on the motherboard and are
> comfortable with BIOS settings, driver installations and problem
> solving, then by all means have a go.

Wow dude, has you mum just died or something? You seen rather upset, about nothing at all. That or you *are* a PC tech, and you don't want any Tom Dick or Harry thinking they could build their own PC :-p

Well, yeah most of the things you say a true, to a degree. I have built loads and loads of PCs and I must admit the first time I built one, prolly before you even knew what a PC looked like might I add, it was rather daunting. Although that was in the days of 486 Procs and everything was much more tricky back then. Building a PC these days is not a tough as it used to be, but if you do you research, following the instructions and *go carefully* you can build your own machine with a little effort.

As a matter of fact, my mate built his own PC a few months back. He choose the parts himself, and then built it. Okay, I was there with him, just to make sure he didn't fry his new CPU, but I only gave him a few handy hints at tricky stages - like clipping the CPU fan on for the first time is always a 'heart in the month' moment. But he did it himself. He saved over £300, and now knows what goes on inside his machine, so if something gores wrong, he doesn't have to take it to somewhere like PC World (who are all monkeys by the way) and pay through the nose, just to be told a bit of dirt has built up on the CPU fan - which I have heard happen on a number of occasions.

It's the old fitting RAM thing. You can actually pay for a 'technical' to fit a stick of RAM for you. it'll cost you like £10, or you could open the case, click it into the stock and have the job done in less that a minute. It takes longer to open the case than it actually does to fit the RAM.

As I say, some people have no confidence, or can't be bothered to do this themselves. I’m not just saying that everyone should rip open their PCs and start fitting/fiddling but if you do your research, read about what you are doing, and *ask* a friend who has done it before, and you'll be fine.

PCs and their internal workings are no longer the domain of over paid PC technicians mate - I’ve seem kids put a PC together in less than a hour. Deal with it.
Fri 06/12/02 at 12:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
PC World, huh you'd think with a name like that they'd actually have quite a large stock of PC parts to upgrade with, but for some reason they don't. The only thing I can find there are network cards and RAM chips, rubbish. I wouldn't buy a PC from them that's for sure.
Fri 06/12/02 at 01:42
Regular
thats the good thing about qualified pc retailers :S except pc world or time....
Fri 06/12/02 at 01:11
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> They are foolish because they could be saving money.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard this week. Open your eyes - do you think that a person with no experience messing with hardware would be able to build an ENTIRE PC? Do you think they'd even know what parts they'd need to get it working, or what parts are better than others?

Sure PC components just fit together like lego, the list of things a PC novice would not be able to do beggars belief. Setting up the processor speed in the BIOS? Nah, they'd let it run, and be oblivious that their processor crawling along at 50% capacity. Partitioning and formatting the hard disk? No chance. Installing device drivers? Tricky.

This is all assuming something doesn't go wrong, like the memory is dud or the heatsink isn't seated properly. Last two new motherboards I ordered didn't work for ages, then mysteriously kicked into life. Should the modem drivers be incompatible with the installed OS, you're going to have a hell of a time downloading new graphics card drivers.

You need experience with PC parts before you can try your hand at building a full system. If you've installed a new hard disk, changed a graphics card, done at least some work on the motherboard and are comfortable with BIOS settings, driver installations and problem solving, then by all means have a go.
Wed 27/11/02 at 18:23
"You love us!"
yeah :-/

Well spotted ;-)
Wed 27/11/02 at 18:21
Regular
u mean do what u want ? not dont want you want :P
Wed 27/11/02 at 18:14
"You love us!"
§n][pe® wrote:
> hmmmm so anyone who buys off Dell or SR is a fool because they dont
> build their own pc's? tbh i cant be bothered to build my own pc do i
> have to build my own console now thatwould be silly.

They are foolish because they could be saving money. If you have so much money that saving a couple of 100 quid isn't a issue, then I guess it doesn't matter. Most people on the other hand, are not in the position.

Even if you can't do it yourself, most people must know at least some mate or friend who could do it for them? Having said that, it makes not the slightest bit of difference to me if people decide to buy an 'of the shelf PC' from SR or PC World - it isn’t my money that's going to waste.

Hmm, can't be bothered or don't have the ability? Either way, that's why people like yourself go to SR or PC World, there is nothing wrong with that, 1000's of people do the same each year. All i am saying is that if you took the time to do it yourself, you could get a much better PC for the same money - that or get the same PC for less.

That is a simple fact mate.

Errr, not sure what you getting at with the whole 'building your own console' statement to be honest. Consoles are sold ready to go, and even if you could by a PS2 in 'kit form' that you built yourself, it's not like you'd save much cash is it? Plus i should imagine it's a bit more difficult to build a console than a PC - have you ever seen inside a PS2 - not a pretty sight I can tell you.
With a PC, you are PAYING for someone to build the machine and they also add a premium on top so they can make money. I'm not saying you can buy PC components for trade price, but you can get close if you shot around. So effectively by building it yourself, you are getting the computer at the price SR or PC World would build it for - without the hefty lump onto that a retailer would have to add.

But as I say, it isn’t my money mate. Don't what you want with yours!
Wed 27/11/02 at 17:37
Regular
im scared with even opening the computer lol.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.