GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Maxx PC - opinions?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/11/02 at 12:12
Regular
I am in the market for a new PC for my house ( I am on my business one now) and am thinking about the SR 2.4ghz maxx 4D

I realise it would be unfair to recomend other companies but can anyone advise possible pro's and con's of this system

Is it worthwhile upgrading any off the components and do you agree with my idea about going for the more affordable 2.4ghz and upgrade it in a year or two when I could pick up a 2.8ghz for a quarter of the price

Any help would be appreciated
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:12
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
I am in the market for a new PC for my house ( I am on my business one now) and am thinking about the SR 2.4ghz maxx 4D

I realise it would be unfair to recomend other companies but can anyone advise possible pro's and con's of this system

Is it worthwhile upgrading any off the components and do you agree with my idea about going for the more affordable 2.4ghz and upgrade it in a year or two when I could pick up a 2.8ghz for a quarter of the price

Any help would be appreciated
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I've just posted a reply in the PS2 forum.
Wed 27/11/02 at 13:35
"You love us!"
All of SR's MAXX PCs are top-notch machines, and in terms of spec you can't go wrong. *However*, I think that anyone with a even the smallest bit of PC knowledge would be miles better off buying the PC components separately and building the machine themselves.

You'll save £££'s and by building the machine yourself, you'll also have a much better idea of what is going on in side your machine and how it work. This in tern, will stand you in good stead if (or should I say when) things go wrong, or you want to upgrade something.

Off the shelf PCs like the ones SR (Tiny, PC World and every other suppliers out there) sell are great for 'mums and dads' who haven't got a clue how to even turn a PC on, but if you know what your doing, buy the bits and build it yourself. You'll be able to get a much better spec PC for the same money. Fact!
Wed 27/11/02 at 13:53
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I bought mine as a custom-built machine. T'is quite good, it's an Athlon 2200XP with 1GB DDR Ram, 120Gb HD, Radeon 9700 Pro 128Mb, Sound Blaster Audigy and an Intel 10/100 NIC.
Wed 27/11/02 at 13:55
Regular
not alot ppl have the time to build a pc tho o.O
maxx and a few others are probably better than tiny, time...... etc
Wed 27/11/02 at 13:59
"You love us!"
What, that's just a stupid thing to save mate. It takes like an hour to build a PC from scratch! Then just the install of Windoz - which in many cases takes longer than actually putting the components together!

If you can't find an hour (or maybe 2 if you’re a bit slow) to save yourself a couple of £100, then you either…

a) Have to much money, or
b) You’re a fool.

Yeah I agree, MAXX PCs are one of the best 'off the shelf' PCs on the market, but you can still save £££s or get a much better spec machine for the same money by doing it yourself.
Wed 27/11/02 at 14:05
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> What, that's just a stupid thing to save mate. It takes like an hour
> to build a PC from scratch! Then just the install of Windoz - which in
> many cases takes longer than actually putting the components
> together!
>
> If you can't find an hour (or maybe 2 if you’re a bit slow) to save
> yourself a couple of £100, then you either…
>
> a) Have to much money, or
> b) You’re a fool.
>
> Yeah I agree, MAXX PCs are one of the best 'off the shelf' PCs on the
> market, but you can still save £££s or get a much
> better spec machine for the same money by doing it yourself.

I got mine from SSC, who are very competitively priced and only use high-quality components.
Wed 27/11/02 at 14:34
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Buy yourself a copy of MicroMart for £1.60, there are a lot of cheap good performance systems advertised in there, all the advertisers try to out-price each other which is great news for us the consumer.

Most advertisers seem to be in Manchester or Stoke on Trent for some reason ??

Just put together a spec and email it to half a dozen companies and see who comes up trumps - I know price isn't everything but you can gauge from peoples ads/ email response times/ telephone manner what they are like.
If you can collect then obviously you save on carriage charges and get to see the company in the flesh. Peace of mind is worth quite a bit when you are spending hundreds of pounds on something.

sorry SR
Wed 27/11/02 at 15:29
"You love us!"
Mr H wrote:
> Most advertisers seem to be in Manchester or Stoke on Trent for some
> reason ??

More poeple nicking and selling bit in these areas, hence the price is lower. ;-)
Wed 27/11/02 at 15:30
Regular
hmmmm so anyone who buys off Dell or SR is a fool because they dont build their own pc's? tbh i cant be bothered to build my own pc do i have to build my own console now thatwould be silly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.