GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ha Ha, the PS2's Been Compared To The Sega Saturn!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 14:12
Regular
Yes, its fact! a large part of the computer development industry has said that if it had to compare the PS2 to any previous console it would definately be the Sega Saturn! Anyone who read Edge magazine recently would have read this. Wanna know why?

Its because:
a)The PS2 is expensive to develop for. Sqaure announced that to break even with new Final Fantasy games they would have to sell 1.6million units!!! With FF7&8 they only had to sell 1.2million units to make a HUGE profit! see the difference?

b)The PS2 has awkward, closed and difficult hardware. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was that it was difficult to develop for due to its awkward and very closed hardware. The year Tomb Raider 2 was due to be released on the PS and saturn Eidos announced that the saturn wouldn't get its version due to complication with the Saturns hardware setup.

There quite a few more reasons for the comparison to the now deceased console, one of the more sinister ones is that its comparable due to the fact that a lot of industry insiders have prophecised a similar demise to the PS2 that the Saturn endured. Maybe you'll think twice before being sucked in by Sony hype. Me? I'm not gonna buy a PS2, I'm gonna wait and see how the X-Box and Gamecube come out fighting.

M.
Mon 23/10/00 at 12:07
The Sega Saturn was great!!
Mon 23/10/00 at 15:28
The Sega Saturn was great! Games like Virtua cop, world wide soccer and Sega rally are classics. But Sega and Nintendo were always going to come in seconds to Sony. The Playstation had the best fighting game, the best adventure game and the best F1 game.
Now back to the PS2. Ok, so 'M.'s posts were mainly just there to annoy, but I still think the first one was only there to inform. My only problem with the PS2 is that I've only heard of 2 games I'd want to play on it, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy. I don't mind having to buy new consoles but as we move along they seem to offer shorter life spans and fewer really great games. As Kieran said, it's human nature to strive for the best, maybe we should all just up grade our PC's and play games on them, consoles will die out and everyone will have access to the same games. Would be great if PC's were any good for games, what this world needs is a new Amiga! That's what I think anyway.
Not sure I should post this on the PS2 board without more PS2 such in it, but as I don't know too much about it aside from games planned and spec and those things I'll just have to stop talking crap and let people respond to all the b****x I've written above.
Mon 23/10/00 at 16:11
> Now back to the PS2. Ok, so 'M.'s posts were mainly just there to
> annoy, but I still think the first one was only there to inform.
> My only problem with the PS2 is that I've only heard of 2 games
> I'd want to play on it, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy. I don't
> mind having to buy new consoles but as we move along they seem to
> offer shorter life spans and fewer really great games.

That's fair comment, and a valid reason for not wanting one. As we've all said, it depends on each player's taste. Of course, not everyone wanted a PS1, and not everyone wants a PS2. But it doesn't mean the machine is crap, which is what some people seem to imply.

> what this world needs is a new Amiga! That's what I
> think anyway.

No argument here. I still believe more should have been done with that amazing machine. There is talk of a revival, though - albeit a much updated model, in line with the improvements time has brought us.

> Not sure I should post this on the PS2 board without more PS2 such
> in it, but as I don't know too much about it aside from games
> planned and spec and those things I'll just have to stop talking
> crap and let people respond to all the b****x I've written above.

Not a problem! Nothing wrong with what you've posted, IMHO. I think you'll find any reasonable post will be appreciated - whether it's strictly PS2 realted or not.
Sun 05/11/00 at 00:40
M no one here cares what u think, all i know is more people buy playstations then any other consoles, hell probly more then n64 and dreamcast put together. all i know is u r tryin tounconvince us because u r actually unsure how good it will b
Sun 05/11/00 at 12:53
I was helping my cousin clear out his loft a while back, and we came across his old Atari console. I'm talking about the OLD wood effect machine. He had a stash of games, space invaders etc. So we gave them a go. It was really amazing to see how far the games industry has come, i mean this was the TOP CONSOLE for a long time, and this is where everything that we discuss today has come from.

Some of the old titles like Frogger, Pac-man, Space Invaders etc. will always be classics, no matter how old they become.

Has anyone else played these type of games lately, and what do you think?
Sun 05/11/00 at 14:42
The develepors have said it's hard to work on but it's fun. And by the way I wouldn't count on the x-box but the G-cube will be amazing.
Sun 05/11/00 at 16:00
Regular
Yeah, I used to play Space Invaders when Ghostbusters was loading on the C64, god that was good fun.

Games in those days were stipped down to their bare, and were just simple gameplay at its best.

Its a shame gameplay isn't the highest factor on most peoples minds these days...
Sun 05/11/00 at 16:08
i want games to b like eye candy
make u come back to play that 1 more time
and to last
Sun 05/11/00 at 19:33
Regular
Nope, thats lasterbility you're talking about. Not graphics.
Mon 06/11/00 at 21:35
Regular
Everyone is going to kill me for saying this...

M has a point. Everything the Saturn did wrong, the PS2 has done wrong too.

This doesn't mean that the PS2 WILL go the same way as the Saturn but it COULD do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.