GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ha Ha, the PS2's Been Compared To The Sega Saturn!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 14:12
Regular
Yes, its fact! a large part of the computer development industry has said that if it had to compare the PS2 to any previous console it would definately be the Sega Saturn! Anyone who read Edge magazine recently would have read this. Wanna know why?

Its because:
a)The PS2 is expensive to develop for. Sqaure announced that to break even with new Final Fantasy games they would have to sell 1.6million units!!! With FF7&8 they only had to sell 1.2million units to make a HUGE profit! see the difference?

b)The PS2 has awkward, closed and difficult hardware. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was that it was difficult to develop for due to its awkward and very closed hardware. The year Tomb Raider 2 was due to be released on the PS and saturn Eidos announced that the saturn wouldn't get its version due to complication with the Saturns hardware setup.

There quite a few more reasons for the comparison to the now deceased console, one of the more sinister ones is that its comparable due to the fact that a lot of industry insiders have prophecised a similar demise to the PS2 that the Saturn endured. Maybe you'll think twice before being sucked in by Sony hype. Me? I'm not gonna buy a PS2, I'm gonna wait and see how the X-Box and Gamecube come out fighting.

M.
Wed 11/10/00 at 17:09
Babylonian,

Careful!!! It was kieran that said it was all about choice, Spikecast merely got sucked into the playground name calling that M is trying to provoke.

I personally can not see the PS2 going the same way as the Saturn and I think that this whole 'hard to programme for' argument is getting very old. If it is so difficult to programme for then why are developers flocking to the PS2 in their droves. Why are there already about a hundred games announced in development??, why are there already some great games ready for release (SSX, TimeSplitters, TTT, DOA2, UT etc). The developers will get to get grips with the PS2 more and more over the coming year and the games (that are already looking awesome) will get even better.

I agree that the PS2 was overhyped and this damaged its reputation when a people realised that like everything in this world it was not perfect. I, however, like many others pre-ordered the PS2 because I believe in Sony's ability to attract developers and support their machine. The PS2 already has some games that I cant wait to get my hands on and from where I am sitting the future looks rosey.

As Babylonian has said many times on this site, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you think that the PS2 is an overhyped hunk of junk, then dont buy one!! Simple as that. There is no need to come on a PS2 discussion board and take pot shots at others choice of machine.
Wed 11/10/00 at 17:24
Yes, you're right - apologies for the Spike/Kieran mix up.

Had a long, bad day at work, and am running on a short fuse today. Everything you say above is quite right (as usual), but I am sick of immature prats talking complete .

Deep, calming breath...

Even if PS2 is the most hideous programming platform ever conceived (which it certainly is not), it doesn't matter. The companies are coding for it because *they* expect it to be huge. There are several hundred games in development, and there is no way it will be a flop; that's not optimism, that's a fact.

Anyone who knows the slightest thing about programming will tell you that every platform has its drawbacks. If you can't get it to do something, you code around it, or find another way to do it. ANY programming problem is only a problem the first time you encounter it. Once you've solved it, it is never a problem again. Unless, of course, you lose your code - which I can't see any major software house doing.
Sat 21/10/00 at 17:40
Theres absolutely nothing like childish, immature, little cretins who cant take it when they know that somebody else is right and that they are wrong!

You sad prats that called me allsorts (scruffy, etc.) are these sad pathetic little people. You know I'm right and therefore resort to these idiotic insults that have no significance whatsoever!!! You know I'm right, why else consort to defensive tactics such as these!!! If the absolute t**d of a machine called PS2 (if I was to hit your level I'd call it the greystation Poo!) is anygood then prove it!!!

M.

P.S. I've got enough money to afford many PS2's, but, thankfully, I've got more sense. You lot on the other hand have more money than sense!!!!
Sat 21/10/00 at 19:05
M.

Like i said so long ago, it's a matter of CHOICE. If you hate the PS2 so much why visit this forum then. The reason so many people got angry with you is that you came over here to annoy, so now you know that you have, please don't continue.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of the PS2 then leave a post here. I will be only too happy to discuss them with you.

Bye the way, which is your favourite console?
Sat 21/10/00 at 19:32
> Theres absolutely nothing like childish, immature, little cretins
> who cant take it when they know that somebody else is right and
> that they are wrong!

Indeed. And guess which category you fall under!

> You know I'm right, why else consort to defensive
> tactics such as these!!! If the absolute t**d of a machine called
> PS2 (if I was to hit your level I'd call it the greystation Poo!)
> is anygood then prove it!!!

We know you aren't right, and we have nothing to prove to anyone. Time and sales are the only things that will prove anything one way or the other, not your opinions, not my opinions, or anyone else's opinions. But if I were a betting man, I know which outcome I'd place my money on.

> P.S. I've got enough money to afford many PS2's, but, thankfully,
> I've got more sense. You lot on the other hand have more money
> than sense!!!!

Well, good for you. But when it comes to sense, your not exhibiting much. Do you look for forums about everything you hate, simply to post these kind of messages? Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

Anyway, see you next week when mummy lets you online again.
Sun 22/10/00 at 17:18
What the hell? Does everyone wanna chill out or what? Personally I agree with 'M.', but no-one esle posting here seems to care what anyone who isn't a PS2 fan thinks. Reading his first message I think 'M.' was just trying to inform you about how square feel about the PS2, and not annoy like one of you said. Go out and get a pre order form for the PS2, have fun with it, then come on here and tell us all how great it is, and in a years time come on here and tell us all that you wish you'd got an Amiga Cd32 coz the PS2 only has 10 games on it and only 2 that are worth playing. Or you could just go buy the X-box and play the best of the new Gen consoles. Come to think of it, don't buy anything, wait and all the money you saved up for your magical PS2 just buy games for you PSX or N64 coz they'll all be cheap as hell when the new machines come out, and if no-one buys the new machines the companies will have to make new games for the old systems, then we'll all have the great games and still cash in our pockets and live in, as 'M.' put it, gaming utopia.
Sun 22/10/00 at 17:50
This type of discussion is getting very tedious and should be in the future of gaming forum if anywhere.
If anyone thinks a particular console is not good for the future of gaming start a new topic there or it gets too personal,I speak from experience.
Sun 22/10/00 at 18:50
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hmmmm, if you ask me, "M" (good name) is being biased and immature. His first message wasn't exactly brilliant, and then he goes off insulting the PS2 and unbiased, fair, friendly people like Kieran (I just read about the new bundle of joy, congratulations and I hope all goes well) and Babylonian. You should see some of "M"s messages on the Nintendo forum, I think he's influenced by his Nintendo worshipping-Sony haters friends. Hmmm...
Sun 22/10/00 at 22:53
Hmm. 'Double_O_Dave' and 'M' - something fishy there, methinks.

Anyway, Dave - if you look back in this thread, you'll see that - while 'M's original post could be taken as an informative attempt, he didn't hesitate to get insulting when someone - me - pointed out that it had already been discussed.

Most of us here are reasonable enough, and if 'M' had continued by discussing some of his own, original thoughts and opinions - rather than the the recycled anti-Sony/PS2 propaganda which he so quickly spewed out - we would have been happy to accommodate him.

However, most of us here are sick of people posting anti-PS2 cack simply because *they* do not like/want the machine. It really has become extremely tedious. I mean, if you don't like the machine, why the hell are you reading the PS2 forum anyway?!
Sun 22/10/00 at 23:06
Double_0_Dave wrote:
> What the hell? Does everyone wanna chill out or what? Personally
> I agree with 'M.', but no-one esle posting here seems to care what
> anyone who isn't a PS2 fan thinks. Reading his first message I
> think 'M.' was just trying to inform you about how square feel
> about the PS2, and not annoy like one of you said. Go out and get
> a pre order form for the PS2, have fun with it, then come on here
> and tell us all how great it is, and in a years time come on here
> and tell us all that you wish you'd got an Amiga Cd32 coz the PS2
> only has 10 games on it and only 2 that are worth playing. Or you
> could just go buy the X-box and play the best of the new Gen
> consoles. Come to think of it, don't buy anything, wait and all
> the money you saved up for your magical PS2 just buy games for you
> PSX or N64 coz they'll all be cheap as hell when the new machines
> come out, and if no-one buys the new machines the companies will
> have to make new games for the old systems, then we'll all have
> the great games and still cash in our pockets and live in, as 'M.'
> put it, gaming utopia.

I'm sorry, but this IS the PS2 forum. It seems to me that your mate was a bit bored and just wanted to get people going. And also i can't believe that you thought his posts were informative and that he wasn't out to annoy. Some of his remarks were very biased and not helpful to anyone.

I like your idea though, about the new-gen consoles not being a success, but unfortunately this would never happen. It is in human nature to strive for the best, and this alone will make most people move on to newer pastures.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.