GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ha Ha, the PS2's Been Compared To The Sega Saturn!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 14:12
Regular
Yes, its fact! a large part of the computer development industry has said that if it had to compare the PS2 to any previous console it would definately be the Sega Saturn! Anyone who read Edge magazine recently would have read this. Wanna know why?

Its because:
a)The PS2 is expensive to develop for. Sqaure announced that to break even with new Final Fantasy games they would have to sell 1.6million units!!! With FF7&8 they only had to sell 1.2million units to make a HUGE profit! see the difference?

b)The PS2 has awkward, closed and difficult hardware. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was that it was difficult to develop for due to its awkward and very closed hardware. The year Tomb Raider 2 was due to be released on the PS and saturn Eidos announced that the saturn wouldn't get its version due to complication with the Saturns hardware setup.

There quite a few more reasons for the comparison to the now deceased console, one of the more sinister ones is that its comparable due to the fact that a lot of industry insiders have prophecised a similar demise to the PS2 that the Saturn endured. Maybe you'll think twice before being sucked in by Sony hype. Me? I'm not gonna buy a PS2, I'm gonna wait and see how the X-Box and Gamecube come out fighting.

M.
Mon 02/10/00 at 14:12
Yes, its fact! a large part of the computer development industry has said that if it had to compare the PS2 to any previous console it would definately be the Sega Saturn! Anyone who read Edge magazine recently would have read this. Wanna know why?

Its because:
a)The PS2 is expensive to develop for. Sqaure announced that to break even with new Final Fantasy games they would have to sell 1.6million units!!! With FF7&8 they only had to sell 1.2million units to make a HUGE profit! see the difference?

b)The PS2 has awkward, closed and difficult hardware. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was that it was difficult to develop for due to its awkward and very closed hardware. The year Tomb Raider 2 was due to be released on the PS and saturn Eidos announced that the saturn wouldn't get its version due to complication with the Saturns hardware setup.

There quite a few more reasons for the comparison to the now deceased console, one of the more sinister ones is that its comparable due to the fact that a lot of industry insiders have prophecised a similar demise to the PS2 that the Saturn endured. Maybe you'll think twice before being sucked in by Sony hype. Me? I'm not gonna buy a PS2, I'm gonna wait and see how the X-Box and Gamecube come out fighting.

M.
Mon 02/10/00 at 14:47
Well, "M", I'm sure that all of us soon-to-be PS2 owners wish you all the best with your chosen console.

All of this has been discussed elsewhere, so it doesn't really warrant further replies here.
Wed 11/10/00 at 15:15
I think it should be discussed again, and again, and again until poor saps like yourself realise that you've all been sucked in when it comes to the PS2! You've all been taken in by hype and dreams that loyalty to one console generator will bring you gaming utopia! Oh you are so wrong! You must look at a new console, and analyse it before you make a decision to buy.
Several hundred pounds is a lot of money to waste! I've been swayed away from the PS2 from the facts that the computer game producing industry has compared it to the sega saturn (not a good thing, see opening message!) and the fact the games being produced for the machine are just run of the mill sequals to older PS1 Games.

So think about it before you hand over your cash to Sony.

M.
Wed 11/10/00 at 15:34
Of course! We've all just fallen for the hype and are buying a PS2 because we have nothing better to waste our hard-earned money on. How blind we all have been!

Thank you so much for your guidance and words of impeccable wisdom. None of us were aware that we were supposed to see what games were available before we made up our mind what console we wanted. It has truly been a revelation.

We will all immediately destroy our PlayStation 2 order forms while chanting your name, O Great One.

Blessed be our saviour, the Almighty one known only as "M."

P.S. The computer gaming industry has only recently voted PS2 Console of the Year at ECTS. Obviously they have no idea what they're on about, either. We all bow our heads in awe to your superior gaming knowledge, and look forward to the masterpieces of gaming hardware and software that you yourself will now undoubtedly produce. We tremble in anticipation.
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:18
Ha ha, saracasm obviously isn't your strong point Babylonian! In fact I think I've hit a sore spot with a dimwit whose gona and pre-ordered a PS2!

The PS2 may have been voted "best console of the year" but most of those votes were cast by games journalists, not the average "joe PS2" programmer, who I'm afraid know exactly what they're talking about. Even more so than their journo's.

M.
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:28
Regular
"Touched!"
Well hello "M" i never usually get pi***d off but this time u have pi***d all of us off so ill tell u what u can do ... u can take your sega ,nintendo and xbox stick them sideways..shine them up real nice and stick them straight up your anus! if u smell what ps2 owners are cooking!
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:33
Regular
"Touched!"
and another thing the only reason u abuse ps2's off is cos your so scuffy and cheap that u cant afford one! and thats the bottom line..."why?" cos Spikecast said so!
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:36
Oh well done M !! All give M a round of applause.

A really good observation there. Now before your infinite wisdom sends me completely in awe of the superior intelect that you must have in your studies of games consoles, let me just set the record straight on my own version of why i am buying a PS2. As i have already stated in a previous posting, i was impressed with the first PlayStation, and it has given me years of great gaming. Even some of the older "classic" games still bring me hours of enjoyment, i still play the first TEKKEN game regularly. PlayStation is not all about the LATEST games, it is, and will always be, the best, most popular games console of it's genre.

Now it is time for the next generation, the next instalment in gaming history. And my CHOICE is PS2. You see the word i just used, CHOICE. The one thing that no one will take away from me. So hype, or no hype, it is my choice.

And also, at the end of the day it is a GAMES CONSOLE, no analization needed really is there.

As for the games, even if they are sequels, they still need to be played don't they. Play them before condeming them. A sequel is still a different game, only with familliar characters.

Thanks for reading.
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:53
Yes, a dimwit who's a programmer himself. Tell us, what do you do, apart from being a troll?

(For description, see: http://www.whatis.com/WhatIs_Search_Results_Exact/1,282033,,00.html?query=troll)

As Spike says, it's all about CHOICE. You've made yours, so good luck to you. We're all very happy for you. Why is it so hard for you to accept that other people made a different choice to you? Are you worried that if enough people by PS2 it'll spell the end for your machine? If not, why is it such a problem for you?
Wed 11/10/00 at 16:57
> The PS2 may have been voted "best console of the year"
> but most of those votes were cast by games journalists,

Were you there? How do you know who voted for what, and what their background is?

Some programmers say PS2 is hard to program for; others say it's not that difficult. Either way, they're all still coding for it, so does it matter?

> not the average "joe PS2" programmer, who I'm
> afraid know exactly what they're talking about.

Yes, I think you are afraid of people who know exactly what they're talking about.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.