GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ha Ha, the PS2's Been Compared To The Sega Saturn!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 14:12
Regular
Yes, its fact! a large part of the computer development industry has said that if it had to compare the PS2 to any previous console it would definately be the Sega Saturn! Anyone who read Edge magazine recently would have read this. Wanna know why?

Its because:
a)The PS2 is expensive to develop for. Sqaure announced that to break even with new Final Fantasy games they would have to sell 1.6million units!!! With FF7&8 they only had to sell 1.2million units to make a HUGE profit! see the difference?

b)The PS2 has awkward, closed and difficult hardware. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was that it was difficult to develop for due to its awkward and very closed hardware. The year Tomb Raider 2 was due to be released on the PS and saturn Eidos announced that the saturn wouldn't get its version due to complication with the Saturns hardware setup.

There quite a few more reasons for the comparison to the now deceased console, one of the more sinister ones is that its comparable due to the fact that a lot of industry insiders have prophecised a similar demise to the PS2 that the Saturn endured. Maybe you'll think twice before being sucked in by Sony hype. Me? I'm not gonna buy a PS2, I'm gonna wait and see how the X-Box and Gamecube come out fighting.

M.
Wed 08/11/00 at 21:12
Regular
Dreancast is about as competetive as it can get but most people ignor it based on the hype of the PS2 (which isn't to say that everyone that is getting a PS2 has been rolled over by hype but it is the ONLY reason why the Dreamcast isn't selling as well as it should).

Me? I've not bought it because I played Goldeneye a few months before the DC release and bought an N64 instead, I haven't got enough to buy them both and...

... (hanging my head in shame)... I've been completely brainwashed by the Gamecube hype...
Wed 08/11/00 at 21:05
Fair enough the Saturn was failure but it was only because of really tough competition from Sony. If the X-Boxc isn't up to standard there's no way anyone else can stand in its way (except maybe Ninty). Then it won't matter if the PS2 is a complete Donkey of a console it'll sell like hotcakes because of marketing, in the same way that FIFA does year after year. Depressing as it may be to all us DC owners the PS2 will push it to the side lines no matter how many triple A titles SEGA come up with.
Tue 07/11/00 at 21:08
Regular
Too much hype is the only reason why people found Perfect Dark to be a disappointment.
Mon 06/11/00 at 22:10
Ah, right, i get you now. Yeah the hype does seem to get out of control at times. Makes you think where these companies get their publisists from at times doesn't it.
Mon 06/11/00 at 21:59
Regular
By going wrong I mean too much hype (every console maker is guilty of that nowdays), too expensive and too hard to make games for (which turned out to be both the Saturns and N64's downfall!)
Mon 06/11/00 at 21:53
And what exactly is the PS2 supposed to have done wrong? Where did the saturn go wrong? I'm sorry, but in my opinion it is not a matter of going wrong, but more a matter of what Joe Public wants. A lot of people will choose which ever console they like the look of, regardless of what games are available.
Mon 06/11/00 at 21:35
Regular
Everyone is going to kill me for saying this...

M has a point. Everything the Saturn did wrong, the PS2 has done wrong too.

This doesn't mean that the PS2 WILL go the same way as the Saturn but it COULD do.
Sun 05/11/00 at 19:33
Regular
Nope, thats lasterbility you're talking about. Not graphics.
Sun 05/11/00 at 16:08
i want games to b like eye candy
make u come back to play that 1 more time
and to last
Sun 05/11/00 at 16:00
Regular
Yeah, I used to play Space Invaders when Ghostbusters was loading on the C64, god that was good fun.

Games in those days were stipped down to their bare, and were just simple gameplay at its best.

Its a shame gameplay isn't the highest factor on most peoples minds these days...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.