GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Pikey rules"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/03/02 at 18:58
Regular
Yes, the Pikey does rule.

Why is it that some damn good actors are ignored or ridiculed, or snubbed by Hollywood? It's annoying when you know an actor to be brilliant and he's generally criticised for some other reason unrelated to his acting ability.

I call my first example, chap by the name of Brad Pitt.

A "pretty boy."

Everyone knows that people only go to see his films if they are:
a) Female
b) Gay

I am neither of this things. No, really. Yet I still consider him a great character actor. For a start, he got nominated for an Oscar for Twelve Monkeys. Not only does this film have a great title, with all the monkeys, but he rules in it as the schizophrenic mad type person. Bruce Willis again proves that he hasn't done a good film apart from Die Hard and The Fifth Element. Anyway, back to Brad Pitt. Seen him in Fight Club? That film rules, and it may have been mainstream Hollywood, but it's on a par with L.A. Confidential as mainstream Hollywood pap that has turned out to be a truly great film. Brad Pitt does really well in this, and shows how much he deserves to be recognized as a great actor. Another example - The Mexican. Alright, the film wasn't that impressive as a whole, but Pitt shows his versatility, and gives us a fine turn. On with the examples. Snatch. He's funny, and I know some of you don't like Guy Ritchie's Mockney Tales of Comedy and Gangstas, but I found Snatch funny. And Pitt is a pikey.

Another actor I think is unappreciated by Hollywood as a whole - Gabriel Byrne. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who knows what makes a good film will appreciate the genius of The Usual Suspects. Now, it was Kevin Spacey who made this film, right?

Wrong, IMHO. Byrne made it, with an inspired performance as Keaton. I take nothing away from Spacey, a fine character actor, but Byrne deserves more Hollywood recognition, and what has he got? A cameo in Enemy of the State and a poorly written role in The Man in the Iron Mask. When talentless fools like George Clooney and Richard Gere get film after film after film. It's not right. I bet you Gabriel Byrne would have made the Mothman Prophecies. Someday some director is going to realise this, slap himself on his forehead, and make the film of their career. With Gabriel Byrne looking moody.

Another guy like this, Guy Pearce. One of my all-time favourite actors after I saw L.A. Confidential. He ruled everyone, even Russell Crowe (who gives, IMHO, a better performance than Gladiator) and Kevin Spacey. Then he does Memento, an truly original film, with "That Cypher guy from the Matrix and that bird for the Matrix", as my mate pointed out. Translated from retard, that means Joe Pantalino and Carrie Ann-Moss, I presume. But still, Guy Pearce runs about being the man before he forgets and starts being the man again. Just like Byrne, this guy should get more Hollywood recognition. When Brian Singer gets another film like the Usual Suspects from McQuarrie, I vote Guy Pearce and Gabriel Byrne are in it. Brad Pitt, too actually. But then the cinema will get filled with stupid little girls. And me, of course.

I think that's the problem with "pin-ups" that are also good actors. Brad Pitt is the prime example of course, but then you've got DiCaprio. Shudder. Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juilet is superb, and he acts excellently in that. But Titanic was...y'know...in comparision. He ruled in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape? as well. As the Happy guy pointed out, he's soon appearing in Gangs of New York. Hope he rules. But film fans get disgusted by the cinema being filled by little girls with their magazines. I do too, a bit. But doesn't stop me realising what a class actor is, and recognize it in Pitt always and DiCaprio at times.

To be honest, I'll be glad when Pitt gets older and his looks go, in little girls terms. Hopefully Hollywood will have realised he's a class act by then, and he'll get serious films. Bit like Anthony Hopkins is now, I'd say. Also, remember what makes a truly great actor - Rise above the script. Prime example of someone who can't seem to do this is Ben Affleck. Give him a Kevin Smith film and he rules. Give him...well...Pearl Harbour, and he sucks. Good Will Hunting, brilliant script written by him and Damon, he rules again. is he a great actor? No.
Brad Pitt is, I think. He rises above the poor script of the Mexican to give a damn good performance, and thats all that matters, if you can hear yourself think over screaming 14 yr olds.

Jesus, whats wrong with me? First I defend shallow Hollywood crap, and now I'm defending and praising a pretty boy. Soon I'll be watching Bruckenheimer and saying what an inspired producer he is.

NEVER!

Anyway, thats my rant about actors gone. Brad Pitt does rule. Just watch Fight Club. You know it to be true.

"I need a lift in your el-truck-o to the next town-o"

Heh, superb. Cheers, Stryke.
Thu 07/03/02 at 22:00
Regular
How interesting. Please in future respect your elders as such acts will not be tolerated on such forums.
How about a game of croquet or some scones on the lawn of the castle?
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:57
It's the return of the newbies here today.

Shut it, Lana.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:55
Regular
*Starts petition to shave Stryke's beard

Bring it beardy
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:54
Mr.Happy wrote:

*Happy prepares anti-beard cluster bombs*

--

No! I'd die!

You suck, Happy man.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:13
Regular
See, The_Vottanator would give an argument.

Where is he, Fuku? WHERE IS HE?
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:25
I liked The big Lebowski. It was funny.
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:22
Regular
Arguments rule. I know it's all forgotten (ish) after it.

*prepares anti-Happy bombs and knits the beard a bullet-proof scarf*

Coens suk i rul berds 4 eva.
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:20
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Stryke wrote:
> *hides first*

I see nothing of interest in the Coen Brothers.

The Big
> Lebowowowowowowowowowowoski wasn't much, and the less said about O Brother Where
> Art Thou? the less.

*hides more*

I have just read two books on the Coen Brothers. After I have eaten my tea and done some homework I am going to come back and argue with you. So brace yourself Stryke..

(all this is meant in a nice way, by the way.. I was just reading it over and it sounded a little hostile... should have put a smiley at the end..:-)
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:20
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Stryke wrote:
> *hides first*

I see nothing of interest in the Coen Brothers.

The Big
> Lebowowowowowowowowowowoski wasn't much, and the less said about O Brother Where
> Art Thou? the less.

*hides more*

I have just read two books on the Coen Brothers. After I have eaten my tea and done some homework I am going to come back and argue with you. So brace yourself Stryke..

Thu 07/03/02 at 19:13
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> the less said about O Brother Where
> Art Thou? the less.

--

That made sense in my mind...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.