GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Pikey rules"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/03/02 at 18:58
Regular
Yes, the Pikey does rule.

Why is it that some damn good actors are ignored or ridiculed, or snubbed by Hollywood? It's annoying when you know an actor to be brilliant and he's generally criticised for some other reason unrelated to his acting ability.

I call my first example, chap by the name of Brad Pitt.

A "pretty boy."

Everyone knows that people only go to see his films if they are:
a) Female
b) Gay

I am neither of this things. No, really. Yet I still consider him a great character actor. For a start, he got nominated for an Oscar for Twelve Monkeys. Not only does this film have a great title, with all the monkeys, but he rules in it as the schizophrenic mad type person. Bruce Willis again proves that he hasn't done a good film apart from Die Hard and The Fifth Element. Anyway, back to Brad Pitt. Seen him in Fight Club? That film rules, and it may have been mainstream Hollywood, but it's on a par with L.A. Confidential as mainstream Hollywood pap that has turned out to be a truly great film. Brad Pitt does really well in this, and shows how much he deserves to be recognized as a great actor. Another example - The Mexican. Alright, the film wasn't that impressive as a whole, but Pitt shows his versatility, and gives us a fine turn. On with the examples. Snatch. He's funny, and I know some of you don't like Guy Ritchie's Mockney Tales of Comedy and Gangstas, but I found Snatch funny. And Pitt is a pikey.

Another actor I think is unappreciated by Hollywood as a whole - Gabriel Byrne. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who knows what makes a good film will appreciate the genius of The Usual Suspects. Now, it was Kevin Spacey who made this film, right?

Wrong, IMHO. Byrne made it, with an inspired performance as Keaton. I take nothing away from Spacey, a fine character actor, but Byrne deserves more Hollywood recognition, and what has he got? A cameo in Enemy of the State and a poorly written role in The Man in the Iron Mask. When talentless fools like George Clooney and Richard Gere get film after film after film. It's not right. I bet you Gabriel Byrne would have made the Mothman Prophecies. Someday some director is going to realise this, slap himself on his forehead, and make the film of their career. With Gabriel Byrne looking moody.

Another guy like this, Guy Pearce. One of my all-time favourite actors after I saw L.A. Confidential. He ruled everyone, even Russell Crowe (who gives, IMHO, a better performance than Gladiator) and Kevin Spacey. Then he does Memento, an truly original film, with "That Cypher guy from the Matrix and that bird for the Matrix", as my mate pointed out. Translated from retard, that means Joe Pantalino and Carrie Ann-Moss, I presume. But still, Guy Pearce runs about being the man before he forgets and starts being the man again. Just like Byrne, this guy should get more Hollywood recognition. When Brian Singer gets another film like the Usual Suspects from McQuarrie, I vote Guy Pearce and Gabriel Byrne are in it. Brad Pitt, too actually. But then the cinema will get filled with stupid little girls. And me, of course.

I think that's the problem with "pin-ups" that are also good actors. Brad Pitt is the prime example of course, but then you've got DiCaprio. Shudder. Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juilet is superb, and he acts excellently in that. But Titanic was...y'know...in comparision. He ruled in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape? as well. As the Happy guy pointed out, he's soon appearing in Gangs of New York. Hope he rules. But film fans get disgusted by the cinema being filled by little girls with their magazines. I do too, a bit. But doesn't stop me realising what a class actor is, and recognize it in Pitt always and DiCaprio at times.

To be honest, I'll be glad when Pitt gets older and his looks go, in little girls terms. Hopefully Hollywood will have realised he's a class act by then, and he'll get serious films. Bit like Anthony Hopkins is now, I'd say. Also, remember what makes a truly great actor - Rise above the script. Prime example of someone who can't seem to do this is Ben Affleck. Give him a Kevin Smith film and he rules. Give him...well...Pearl Harbour, and he sucks. Good Will Hunting, brilliant script written by him and Damon, he rules again. is he a great actor? No.
Brad Pitt is, I think. He rises above the poor script of the Mexican to give a damn good performance, and thats all that matters, if you can hear yourself think over screaming 14 yr olds.

Jesus, whats wrong with me? First I defend shallow Hollywood crap, and now I'm defending and praising a pretty boy. Soon I'll be watching Bruckenheimer and saying what an inspired producer he is.

NEVER!

Anyway, thats my rant about actors gone. Brad Pitt does rule. Just watch Fight Club. You know it to be true.

"I need a lift in your el-truck-o to the next town-o"

Heh, superb. Cheers, Stryke.
Tue 05/03/02 at 18:58
Regular
Yes, the Pikey does rule.

Why is it that some damn good actors are ignored or ridiculed, or snubbed by Hollywood? It's annoying when you know an actor to be brilliant and he's generally criticised for some other reason unrelated to his acting ability.

I call my first example, chap by the name of Brad Pitt.

A "pretty boy."

Everyone knows that people only go to see his films if they are:
a) Female
b) Gay

I am neither of this things. No, really. Yet I still consider him a great character actor. For a start, he got nominated for an Oscar for Twelve Monkeys. Not only does this film have a great title, with all the monkeys, but he rules in it as the schizophrenic mad type person. Bruce Willis again proves that he hasn't done a good film apart from Die Hard and The Fifth Element. Anyway, back to Brad Pitt. Seen him in Fight Club? That film rules, and it may have been mainstream Hollywood, but it's on a par with L.A. Confidential as mainstream Hollywood pap that has turned out to be a truly great film. Brad Pitt does really well in this, and shows how much he deserves to be recognized as a great actor. Another example - The Mexican. Alright, the film wasn't that impressive as a whole, but Pitt shows his versatility, and gives us a fine turn. On with the examples. Snatch. He's funny, and I know some of you don't like Guy Ritchie's Mockney Tales of Comedy and Gangstas, but I found Snatch funny. And Pitt is a pikey.

Another actor I think is unappreciated by Hollywood as a whole - Gabriel Byrne. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who knows what makes a good film will appreciate the genius of The Usual Suspects. Now, it was Kevin Spacey who made this film, right?

Wrong, IMHO. Byrne made it, with an inspired performance as Keaton. I take nothing away from Spacey, a fine character actor, but Byrne deserves more Hollywood recognition, and what has he got? A cameo in Enemy of the State and a poorly written role in The Man in the Iron Mask. When talentless fools like George Clooney and Richard Gere get film after film after film. It's not right. I bet you Gabriel Byrne would have made the Mothman Prophecies. Someday some director is going to realise this, slap himself on his forehead, and make the film of their career. With Gabriel Byrne looking moody.

Another guy like this, Guy Pearce. One of my all-time favourite actors after I saw L.A. Confidential. He ruled everyone, even Russell Crowe (who gives, IMHO, a better performance than Gladiator) and Kevin Spacey. Then he does Memento, an truly original film, with "That Cypher guy from the Matrix and that bird for the Matrix", as my mate pointed out. Translated from retard, that means Joe Pantalino and Carrie Ann-Moss, I presume. But still, Guy Pearce runs about being the man before he forgets and starts being the man again. Just like Byrne, this guy should get more Hollywood recognition. When Brian Singer gets another film like the Usual Suspects from McQuarrie, I vote Guy Pearce and Gabriel Byrne are in it. Brad Pitt, too actually. But then the cinema will get filled with stupid little girls. And me, of course.

I think that's the problem with "pin-ups" that are also good actors. Brad Pitt is the prime example of course, but then you've got DiCaprio. Shudder. Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juilet is superb, and he acts excellently in that. But Titanic was...y'know...in comparision. He ruled in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape? as well. As the Happy guy pointed out, he's soon appearing in Gangs of New York. Hope he rules. But film fans get disgusted by the cinema being filled by little girls with their magazines. I do too, a bit. But doesn't stop me realising what a class actor is, and recognize it in Pitt always and DiCaprio at times.

To be honest, I'll be glad when Pitt gets older and his looks go, in little girls terms. Hopefully Hollywood will have realised he's a class act by then, and he'll get serious films. Bit like Anthony Hopkins is now, I'd say. Also, remember what makes a truly great actor - Rise above the script. Prime example of someone who can't seem to do this is Ben Affleck. Give him a Kevin Smith film and he rules. Give him...well...Pearl Harbour, and he sucks. Good Will Hunting, brilliant script written by him and Damon, he rules again. is he a great actor? No.
Brad Pitt is, I think. He rises above the poor script of the Mexican to give a damn good performance, and thats all that matters, if you can hear yourself think over screaming 14 yr olds.

Jesus, whats wrong with me? First I defend shallow Hollywood crap, and now I'm defending and praising a pretty boy. Soon I'll be watching Bruckenheimer and saying what an inspired producer he is.

NEVER!

Anyway, thats my rant about actors gone. Brad Pitt does rule. Just watch Fight Club. You know it to be true.

"I need a lift in your el-truck-o to the next town-o"

Heh, superb. Cheers, Stryke.
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Wasn't Gabriel Byrne in a couple of dcent films where he played the devil in one and a preist in the other. They weren't bad.
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:18
Regular
Maybe, I was just referring to major Hollywood films.

Like Pearl Harbour. Hehehehe.
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Okay I've only read the first few lines so far. Up until being gay.

But I feel I must reply now to completely disagree. I realise that you're probably also saying this shouldn'tbe the case by the first few lines but still.....

Brad Pitt is funny! A lot of my friends like him as do I, and neither I nor they are gay. Except for one of them who MAY be gay - but then again he also thought onions came from cows. Anyway, Brad Pitt is a good actor and he is really funny.

And also Leanardo Di Caprio. He is a good actor as well (although not funny and I admit I hate him!). The thing is, even though he is a good actor, he keeps being given these really deep, heavy roles to play and it just doesn't work cause he looks about 12 years old!!! Him smoking marijuana in The Beach just didn't work for me!

Anyway, I'll read the rest now. :-D
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Stryke wrote:
> Maybe, I was just referring to major Hollywood films.

Like Pearl Harbour.
> Hehehehe.

Nah, one had Arnie in. Stigmata (of the dump) and End of Days.
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:29
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Okay, now I've read up to the end of the Gabirel Byrne paragraph. Hard work this. :-D

Ahem! But what do you mean Bruce willis hasn't made any good films other than Fifth Element and Die Hard. Excuse me but I laugh upon thee. I think his performance in Sixth Sense was slightly better than his performance in Fifth Element.

But I agree about Gabriel Byrne. Although I do believe he should have much more recognition as being a quality actor, I do not believe he should have more recognition than Kevin Spacey. Spacey in my opinion, is a superior actor. Both are extremely good, but Spacey is one of the best and can play ANY role brilliantly.

Also, you can't say Usual Suspects worked because of one person. Spacey was absolutely necessary. It wouldn't work without him. If I remember correctly, he recieved an oscar for this and he deserved it. Still, it wouldn't have worked without Gabriel Byrne either.

And Byrne has been in good films. Miller's Crossing being one of them. Okay, so End of Days was crap and Stigmata just seems really depressing (got it on DVD but never watched it), but he has been in good films.

I'll read the rest some other time and hopefully get through it all. But I have to go now.
Tue 05/03/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I may not be quite the film geek that you are Gaz but I have to disagree on the Bruce Willis bit only good in Die Hard and the fith element. Personally I think he was great in the Jackal, not to bad in armagedon and unbreakable, sixth sense, hudson hawk, whole nine yards and the last boyscout.

From a film geek like yourself Gaz I must say I was surprised when you said this.
Tue 05/03/02 at 20:32
Regular
Yeah, whatever about Brucey boy. But Ross, observe that I do praise Brad Pitt.

And he SUCKED in The Jackal. Besides, it had Richard Gere in it.

And Stigmata was dire.
Wed 06/03/02 at 00:06
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The amazing thing about LA Confidential was that Kim Basinger was the only actor/ress in it to win an oscar, despite being the worst one (outside LA confidential tht still means a damn fine performance). But then Hollywood isn't exactly famous for giving unknowns or even half-knowns a shot at the big time.

Hollywood only gets the big names in -ie Tom Cruise and blah di blah - who have already cut their proverbial teeth in indie films and semi-blockbusters. The problem for any actor is making that leap fom minor stardom to earning power (It's no wonder that Hollywood regularly produces a table of the box-office earnings power of filmstars - it's the one's off these lists that get the parts in big films) The best way to get into that elite is to do a mixture of films like Pitt does. Sure his pretty boy looks and celebrity wife have helped him no end, but the guy doesn't just star in top-draw Hollywood films, "The Mexican" is another example of him (sorry poncy term coming up) keeping up his indie-credibility.

I'm probably waffling a little now so I'll move on. Gabriel Byrne is a fine actor he's had brilliant roles in "Millers Crossing" and "the Usual Suspects"; however, he has been unable to convert this into box-office puling power. At the end of the day, with acting talent chained up and fed to the fishes, Richard Gere will always bring in more money at the box office than Byrne and that is what 90% of film studios want. They aren't interested in whether the films a critical success, just whether it's a commercial success. The only time when critical success comes into play is when you have multiple star names vying for the role.

Guy Pearce should succeed where Byrne has failed; after all he's younger, more of a pin up and has more critical plaudits than he knows what to do with. Pearce looks set to make the leasp into the big time. All it's going to take is one role in a blockbuster action film, or a blockbuster romantic comedy and he has secured his hollywood future. This is something that Russell Crowe pulled off with Gladiator. Overnight he became Hollywood's hottest property.

Of course this is all set to change. The directors are changing in Hollywood at the moment. With a recession kicking in and an ever-growing number of commercial disaster wannabe-blockbuster films, which are losing the studios millions, the bigwigs have finally decided to spread their risks. Big name directors, who want big budgets and big-name stars are being phased out, in favour of the up-and-coming young directors who demand a third of the budget and are quite likely to provide at least one massive between them. Take Aronofsky, he's received huge acclaim for his first two films and he's now being set to work on "Batman: Year One" - a Warner Brothers' action film. He will bring his own actors to the film and won't necessarily use big-names. In this way the elite clique of actors who have dominated Hollywood for so long are going to find themselves losing out.

The more young, independant-minded directors that come through into Hollywood the better films are going to be, because it will destroy the mentality that exists to go for the star who'll sell the most tickets. And hopefully this should result in good actors and actresses getting a shot at the big time.
Wed 06/03/02 at 07:45
Regular
True, Basinger was overshadowed by all, as Spacey was overshadowed by Crowe, and he was overshadowed by Pearce.

Guy Pearce should have been made notable, I swear.

Anyway, I can't write a massive reply because I've already stated my thoughts.

But I hope Pearce doesn't turn into another Russell Crowe, but keeps it up with the indie films as well. Memento shows how good he is at them.

He's in The Time Machine, isn't he? Anyone heard anything good about that?

"But he's Mike from Neighbours"

Ponce ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.