GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh no !"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 16:48
Regular
So over the past few weeks I've been shouting to all and sundry on here (including the Nintendo guys who live here) that the Xbox is the best console ever, and maybe it is, but ....well I played Project Gotham yesterday - the first time I've ever played any Xbox game, before I'd only watched people. It looks ace, it plays well, but it started a sinking feeling in me. First thought ? "I've already sold my Playstation 2 and games...." Second ? "Is this worth £300 plus all the other cash I've saved?"

Now before playing on it the first wouldnt have worried me, the second wouldnt have either. Then it got worse. I played the FFX demo this morning, and the sinking feeling got worse. Then, just to make things even worse I played the MGS2 demo (yes Im the one person who'd never played it yet). Then, the final nail, read a few things at work.

Tomorrow I'm going down to Dixons and cancelling - which should be fun in intself - and then I'm going into the bank, getting all that cash, and buying another Playstation 2, it may not be as pretty graphically, but it has staying power and FFX. Halo sold me the Xbox, but FFX and MGS2 have convinced me enough to return to Sony. I've wasted a lot of money - but at least I get to start again with all new games ! I still think Xbox is a great console, with killer launch games, and Buffy :((I'll never get it now waahhh!) but I have this bad feeling.........
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:22
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Theres so many X-Box games I wanna get when they come out. Plus theres a few PS2 titles I'll be grabbing too. ;-)

Looks like its going to be a busy (and expensive) year for me as far as gaming goes. ;-))
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:56
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
It's a good idea you focusing on one console - that's what I'll do with the X-Box. People who have bought lots of DC games have a good array of above good playable titles.

But all of MS' will be amazing,
Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 17:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
adrian wrote:

Belldandy had already sold his PS2 to
> fund his X-Box, so saving up another £400+ may take him ages if he was
> still at school. Also owning more than one console means splashing out alot of
> money on games.

Well I'm at University so I could get one in April...whats the student loan for after all ? :) Seriously though, this is why I've gone back to the PS2 - I can afford to buy games regulalrly for one machine (especially with staff discount where I work :) ) but if I had two machine then it'd take ages to build up a lot of titles. As it is I've been able to buy back a PS2, Maximo, Ace Combat 4, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil CVX, GT3, DOA2, GTA3, NHL 2002, Max Payne,, SSX Tricky, a vertical stand, dvd remote, memory card, region x and a scart cable, all new for the same money that would have bought me an X Box, 4 games, an extra controller and a DVD remote. Even so, an Xbox might be tempting once the price drops ! Its still a good console though :)
Thu 07/03/02 at 16:45
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
GpotterUK wrote:
> Actually Outlaw, I didn't want to correct, you but the version of Metal Gear for
> XBox was in fact MGSX, not MGS2X as you wrote!!! :o)

----

Well ACTUALLY GpotterUK, if you didn't want to correct why did you? Go find a txt writting Newbie and correct their thread - dare ya.

Outlaw.
Wed 06/03/02 at 08:13
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
GrimMetal wrote:
> That logic means that games that are fun when playing in store demos must be out
> of this world when at home ;)

To be honest, I found the pod games very mediocre, but usually that's because your not given any sort of depth with a demo version, hence the lack of sense of speed. This specifically was pertaining to PGR, which isn't as slow as the demos are making out.

Amped is in the same boat too...

To be honest, the machine is worth it for just playing Halo alone, then there's Jet Set Radio Future, which is also fantastic!
Tue 05/03/02 at 21:07
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Looking at the SR news, Halo took the title of Game Of The Year. Not bad at all for a launch game. ;-)
Tue 05/03/02 at 13:42
That logic means that games that are fun when playing in store demos must be out of this world when at home ;)
Tue 05/03/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I don't think the XBox pods are a good enough representation of the console. Believe me, it is so much better when you have it sitting in your room.
Tue 05/03/02 at 09:04
yeh I think the large majority of gamers can only choose one console. I have a Cube and a PS2 on the way, but only getting the ps2 coz it was dirt cheap. Im gonna use it for GTA3, Time Crisis 2 and a cheap dvd player for my room ;)
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
DrDragon wrote:
Why choose? If you really like games, then there is no need to choose a
> company and stick to it like a zealot. The true gaming enthusiast isn't the one
> who picks a company and snubs another no matter how good its games are, it is
> the gamer who realises all consoles have good games and it is definitely worth
> nabbing them.
I'm not saying that everyone is rich or something, but there arew
> ways to spread the payment, SR and Ebay have good prices... if you really like
> games then if you search around you will get good deals on price.

I dont choose as I have DC, N64, PS1, PS2 and am getting X-Box and GC. But for some people having one console is all that they can afford.

Belldandy had already sold his PS2 to fund his X-Box, so saving up another £400+ may take him ages if he was still at school. Also owning more than one console means splashing out alot of money on games. All 3 next gen machines will have alot of must have titles and at £40 a game, a school kid probably wont have the funds to pay for all of the games.

I dont think that staying with one console is the best, I like them all as they all have different games. But in the end if you do have to choose just the one console, you would have to ask yourself "which games do I want?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.