GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation for kids."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 15:14
Regular
Due to popular demand I am not going to write about Nintendo, instead I am going to attempt some controversy. For those who don't know the Playstation is a console for the less mature person, some say kids but I will stick with less mature...

Now before someone like Turbonutter starts complaining and giving me a list of adult titles I need to ask you are they really adult. "OH so cool I blew his head off, tee hee", yes games filled with gore has an age certificate slapped on it but the amount of people I know who buy games because heads get blown off is amazing. "Is the game any good" I ask, "yeah it's all right, but I managed to pull this fat old lady out of her car and then I filled her full of lead". Wahey how erm mature, it isn't that I find senseless violence dull but it isn't this mature adult image everyone believes the Playstation has.

And then there are those who laugh as a Nintendo fan buys Pokemon. Now all Nintendo do as regards Pokemon is cover the senseless violence with cute graphics and it becomes a kid’s game when theoretically it isn't anything different to what you see on the Playstation, just cuter. And then it thoroughly frustrates me when the claim Mario and Yoshi are children's characters whilst they brush Teletubbies and Tweenies under the carpet. I see the Playstation as a system for 12 year olds who giggle at the site of Lara Croft's breasts and find Fear Effect 2 cool because it has lesbians in it...

But then I get confused at the Playstation's obsession with realism. GT3 is a realistic car sim, ok well then thought about driving a car? Admittedly that isn't probably the best example FIFA (despite being multi-format) is a mature realistic football game, yet for some unknown reason people play FIFA rather than grabbing a football that costs £30 less and kicking it around in the park. Meanwhile Sega Smash Soccer is a football game where you beat up your opponents, immature it maybe but at least it is different from real life! I'd choose Mario Kart over F1 World Grand Prix as if I want to be an F1 driver i will learn to be meanwhile no matter where I look being able to drive around a desert firing shells at my mates is something I just can't do.

So ok I am bound to dislike the Playstation being a Ninty an all but people who say to me Playstation is mature I disagree, and those who say Playstation rules as it is more realistic than the others then I think to myself... that guy has got his priorities wrong.

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Sun 03/03/02 at 21:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
In the past four years I’ve grown up and matured... So has my gaming taste. Of course I still love the ‘round-around-senselesly-shooting-everything-that-moves-turkey-shoot’ Kind of games, but I’ve started to widen my gaming tastes. I now love strategy games; I now love Adventure games...

Now, I’ve matured in the sense that I’m not as naïve as I once was. And I’m hoping that everyone else on here has to (Well... Except for Goaty of course :-D) So quite why everyone made such a fuss about Conkers Bad Fur day I don’t know.

It’s not a mature game! It’s as puerile and childish as Yoshi’s Story for God sake! The insults that are used in it are nearly exact replicas of the insults you hear thrown around the playground with such gay* abandon as you’d expect from 11 year olds. The swearing in it? To be honest I can’t think of anything MORE childish than swearing.

Now, this isn’t a topic slating CBFD, because, childish or not, it’s a great game.

When N64 owners leap to the defence of their console in the age old argument of it having "No mature games" You always here the same old list of games.

o Goldeneye
o Perfect Dark
o Conkers Bad Fur Day
o Body Harvest

Think about it, these aren’t mature games. To be mature means grown up, it does not mean run around levels shooting bad guys and alien bug type things. It does not mean swearing pointlessly at everything you come across. It does not mean... I could go on.

To me these kinds of games aren’t mature games. To me mature games are the ones like Management Sims (The Sims, CM Series) Strategy Games (Command and Conquer, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint) and various other types of games. And yes before anyone starts jumping up and down and trying to a smartass by pointing out that the strategy games I listed involve shooting people, I know, but it’s different from other shoot-em ups. You actually have to have some kind of battle plan to succeed.

As well as this ruling out nearly all of the N64’s mature games it also rules out most of the Playstations too... Sorry couldn’t resist that dig :-D

People can go on arguing about the true definition of a mature game, but for me it’s the kinds of games I’ve listed. If you look at it sensically, Mario 64 is a more mature game than Resident Evil is. Sure, Resi Evil has zombies and gore, but Mario 64 has adventure, which seems more grown up to me.

The dictionary definition of mature is grown up, what’s so grown up about shooting things with a double pump action shotgun?

RBS

* Hey! Proper use of the word!
Sun 03/03/02 at 20:21
Regular
But it is to do with levels of realism, Max Payne is far more realistic than a plumber jumping on biologically impossible enemies, riding green dinosaur esq. creatures and finding a half reptile half man...

What is more realistic? MGS2 or Pokemon?????
Sun 03/03/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
RM18 wrote:
> Good point. One of the reasons I
> play games is so that I can do things that I couldn't do realistically

If you can realistically drive a Castrol Supra GT any time you want or execute a dozen terrorists with your bare hands to save the world then you're a very lucky man!
Sun 03/03/02 at 20:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> But what us the obsession with Realism? Why do you want to live out things that
> are possible?

It's not an obsession with realism. It's not like every single game is realistic, or possibly even the majority.
Sun 03/03/02 at 19:57
Regular
Damn straight Edgy, we are going the wrong way on the Playstation!
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:52
Regular
Well done Dringo! Believe me, if anyone else had said this, there would have been stupid replies like "I fink Nintendo is better becos it has Pikachoo and Mawio" and all that rubbish, but now you've said this they will take notice (hopefully).

Games aren't about realism, more like an escape from it. They always have been. Why do you think Doom featured aliens, Sonic a blue hedgehog, and Return To Castle Wolfenstein Nazis!

They aren't real and people can laugh at them or kill them knowing they aren't doing anything real, just having a spot of fun.

I have to admit that certain sports games are better when they're more realistic. I like playing Uefa Championship on the Dreamcast (ok, I got it cheap :) ) and that's as realistic as I'd expect a console game to be. If any more realism was added, then I may as well have gone to some real games, or tried to become a professional footballer. It's the same with Jonah Lomu Rugby on my old PC, I play that game because I'm a rugby fan, it's got a sense of realism, and I can take part in it, however I wouldn't want it anymore realistic otherwise it just wouldn't be fun!

That's why the Ready To Rumble Boxing game series has done so well, how many other hawaiian women do you know called "Mama Tua" fight in boxing rings against small, skinny men with afros and an attidude problem? It's a laugh, and gives enjoyment to people.

Ok, Grand Theft Auto 3 is a good game. It looks realistic, and there's so much you can do, but it does get a bit boring, like when Joey tells you to "come back between 6am and 8pm" for more jobs whilst you're ready at 8:01pm. Ok, you can go for a drive around, test the springs with a prostitute, or shoot a load of innocent members of the public with a machine gun, but you don't feel like doing that much because despite that being what a lot of people ask for in games, it's boring! It's doing nothing to aid your goals in the game, there's not much of a comediac element that makes you want to laugh, or see what else you can do. It's just a small novelty in the game.

However, when you get to games like Mario Kart: Super Circuit, I know I can race around, shoot strange objects at other vehicles, and have some multiplayer fun with my friends without having any realism at all, but having a whole lot of fun!

So here we have it, games are getting more and more realistic on some consoles, but are losing their gameplay value, whereas games on other consoles are getting funnier and funnier (see the Great Sloprano on Conker's Bad Fur Day) and their playability is increasing!
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:50
Regular
"I like cheese"
Dringo wrote:
> But what us the obsession with Realism? Why do you want to live out things that
> are possible?

So are you saying that Max Payne is possible?? Or MGS??

The only real possible stuff on the PS are the sports sims, and even then, it's unlikely you'll ever play professional football or drive an F1 car.
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:45
"possibly impossible"
Dringo wrote:
> ERm yes pb, yes,

Sorry, was I too serious again?

PSX for kids? Nope, they would dribble all over the lid...
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:12
Regular
ERm yes pb, yes,
Sun 03/03/02 at 17:22
"possibly impossible"
hm. Sony aren't daft and they can see a good marketing opportunity in the older of their two systems. If they just let the PSX die then it wouldn't have been so bad for them, but re-inventing it as a low cost alternative for the 'starter gamer' was genius and kept plenty of PSX units in circulation.

Sony know there are hundreds of games and systems out there in the second hand market too and they know that if they get enough people playing on their first system before they graduate to the current platform, they are more likely to stay with the brand name (plus the PS2 is backward compatible, so they would keep all their old games too)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.