GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation for kids."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 15:14
Regular
Due to popular demand I am not going to write about Nintendo, instead I am going to attempt some controversy. For those who don't know the Playstation is a console for the less mature person, some say kids but I will stick with less mature...

Now before someone like Turbonutter starts complaining and giving me a list of adult titles I need to ask you are they really adult. "OH so cool I blew his head off, tee hee", yes games filled with gore has an age certificate slapped on it but the amount of people I know who buy games because heads get blown off is amazing. "Is the game any good" I ask, "yeah it's all right, but I managed to pull this fat old lady out of her car and then I filled her full of lead". Wahey how erm mature, it isn't that I find senseless violence dull but it isn't this mature adult image everyone believes the Playstation has.

And then there are those who laugh as a Nintendo fan buys Pokemon. Now all Nintendo do as regards Pokemon is cover the senseless violence with cute graphics and it becomes a kid’s game when theoretically it isn't anything different to what you see on the Playstation, just cuter. And then it thoroughly frustrates me when the claim Mario and Yoshi are children's characters whilst they brush Teletubbies and Tweenies under the carpet. I see the Playstation as a system for 12 year olds who giggle at the site of Lara Croft's breasts and find Fear Effect 2 cool because it has lesbians in it...

But then I get confused at the Playstation's obsession with realism. GT3 is a realistic car sim, ok well then thought about driving a car? Admittedly that isn't probably the best example FIFA (despite being multi-format) is a mature realistic football game, yet for some unknown reason people play FIFA rather than grabbing a football that costs £30 less and kicking it around in the park. Meanwhile Sega Smash Soccer is a football game where you beat up your opponents, immature it maybe but at least it is different from real life! I'd choose Mario Kart over F1 World Grand Prix as if I want to be an F1 driver i will learn to be meanwhile no matter where I look being able to drive around a desert firing shells at my mates is something I just can't do.

So ok I am bound to dislike the Playstation being a Ninty an all but people who say to me Playstation is mature I disagree, and those who say Playstation rules as it is more realistic than the others then I think to myself... that guy has got his priorities wrong.

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Sat 09/03/02 at 18:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Maybe all games are actually the same???
Anyone can play them afterall, but some just require a bit more of the 'know how' than others.
What I mean is that there's probably no real difference between Denki Blocks and a game like Resident Evil, and what you see makes you think it's more scary and adult-themed. But when you play it, you realise that the controls and style of the game make it just like Denki Blocks, when you ignore the effects the appearences have on you.
Sat 09/03/02 at 17:09
Regular
JCSuperStar wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Ian you moronic idiot

Come on Chris, no need to be
> hypocritical.

You called me moronic.
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:44
Regular
I think that Dringo's point was that although the Playstation isn't actually for kids, it's not really much more mature than a Nintendo one, it just acts "cooler".

I wouldn't say that Resi is immature, but I wouldn't say that it's any more mature than Zelda.
And all these Sonyphiles (not ALL the Sonyphiles, mind you, just a hell of a lot of them) who continually slate Mario as "babyish" then go on to rave on about Jak and Daxter, saying that it's more "adult" than Mario.

The funniest thing is when they say:

"i know that conker was adult..."

In my opinion, Conker's Bad Fur Day was the most childish and immature game on the N64, but I still thought that it was brilliant and great fun.

So why am I allowed to like Immature games while I slate others as idiots for doing so?

Putting it simply, I don't snub my nose and say "im too big a grown up for that" whenever I see a game that looks simplistic or cartoony.
I'm mature enough to know what I like, not caring whether it's fashionable for someone my age to like it.

If you like both Conker and Mario then that's cool.
If you dislike both Conker and Mario because you don't like Platform games then fair enough.

If you slate Mario but love Conker because it has "adult swearing and violence" then you're a gimp!
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:04
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Res€vilfan wrote:
> Dringo don't take this the wrong way I respect you and all but GIVE UP with
> these Nintendo Support, Sony suck type topics, please.

I highly agree.
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:01
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Dringo wrote:
> Ian you moronic idiot

Come on Chris, no need to be hypocritical.
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:40
Regular
Res€vilfan wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>I very rarley make a sony sucks topic...

Your tagline says
> it all Dringo,

It is a nickname given to me by er-no, evertime a sony fan saltes the n64 i back it up and win so er-no called me that... i rarley attack myself... just defend...
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:37
Regular
Why should i face the fact of something i don't believe...

I think the PS is filled with crap... the N64 filled with deacent titles... no matter how hard you try it won't disprove this im not facing anything that isn't right... i tell you now if i got a Playstation instead of an N64 i wouldn't be here as i wouldn't care for gaming as the PS is too casual.
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Back For Good"
Dringo wrote:
>I very rarley make a sony sucks topic...

Your tagline says it all Dringo, I think it's time you faced the fact that Nintendo were the best back in the Nes maybe Snes era, but nowadays anything besides the Playstation's are mere secondary consoles.
Mon 04/03/02 at 22:26
Regular
Ian you moronic idiot i am Biased and they all know it, if i wasn't my posts wouldn't create half the controversy that they do nor would they be as intresting!!!

1: Yes i Like Resident evil but it is an immature game, i am sorry to say it but it isn't mature and the fact that i like it doesnt change that fact.

2: I know it doesn't have to be gore to be adult but the developers seem to think so, and thats my entire point gore= childish! The PS2 and PS1 are filled with gore it is what sells the consoles.

3: Your point about the open mind didn't make sense but the DOA2 is a PS2 game, yes it was on the DC but on the PS2 they even had scantily dressed pictures of the characters added, the idea of busty ladies is an immature thing to do.

4: I play football about 1 and a half hours a day. It is much more fun than FIFA. Realism is all well and good in small doses but the fact is going over board and making things so unrealistic is what games were amde to do, make things happen that normally can't... you like final fantasy you understand.

5: Why should i say two sides to the story when i only listen to one? I am well aware that more casual gamers like realism what i don't understand is why as they aren't nearly as much fun! You seem to miss the point of the board JC if i was writing an article both arguments should be represented, but if i did both sides what would their be to discuss exactly?
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Dringo wrote:
> Due to popular demand I am not going to write about Nintendo, instead I am going
> to attempt some controversy. For those who don't know the Playstation is a
> console for the less mature person, some say kids but I will stick with less
> mature...

I'm going to complain. the PSX and PS2 in not JUST for kids - its an all around console. It has a lot of games for any aptitudial gamer. That means even from a 3yr old girl to your 90yr old biker grandad.

Now before someone like Turbonutter starts complaining and giving
> me a list of adult titles I need to ask you are they really adult. "OH so
> cool I blew his head off, tee hee", yes games filled with gore has an age
> certificate slapped on it but the amount of people I know who buy games because
> heads get blown off is amazing. "Is the game any good" I ask,
> "yeah it's all right, but I managed to pull this fat old lady out of her
> car and then I filled her full of lead". Wahey how erm mature, it isn't
> that I find senseless violence dull but it isn't this mature adult image
> everyone believes the Playstation has.

It doesnt have to have gore to be adult. It doesn't have to have mindless violence to be deemed for the 'adult' generation. I give you the Final Fantasy series - a bit for everyone. And I know you like Resi, and isn't that a load o' gore?

And then there are those who laugh as
> a Nintendo fan buys Pokemon. Now all Nintendo do as regards Pokemon is cover the
> senseless violence with cute graphics and it becomes a kid’s game when
> theoretically it isn't anything different to what you see on the Playstation,
> just cuter. And then it thoroughly frustrates me when the claim Mario and Yoshi
> are children's characters whilst they brush Teletubbies and Tweenies under the
> carpet. I see the Playstation as a system for 12 year olds who giggle at the
> site of Lara Croft's breasts and find Fear Effect 2 cool because it has lesbians
> in it...

Yeah, they have a sense of cuteness, and appeal to most people. But you've just scratched the surface an prospect such as sex in a game. What about DOA2? I feel that you classifing the PSX and PSX2 as for 12 year olds as highly stereotypical and in a sense, moronic. It really shouldn't matter where your hearts at. Keep an open mind at look at an overall perspective.

But then I get confused at the Playstation's obsession with
> realism. GT3 is a realistic car sim, ok well then thought about driving a car?
> Admittedly that isn't probably the best example FIFA (despite being
> multi-format) is a mature realistic football game, yet for some unknown reason
> people play FIFA rather than grabbing a football that costs £30 less and
> kicking it around in the park. Meanwhile Sega Smash Soccer is a football game
> where you beat up your opponents, immature it maybe but at least it is different
> from real life! I'd choose Mario Kart over F1 World Grand Prix as if I want to
> be an F1 driver i will learn to be meanwhile no matter where I look being able
> to drive around a desert firing shells at my mates is something I just can't
> do.

What about rainy days? You don't expect the vast majority to ring up a couple of mates to play football on a muddy, soaked pitch. And i know you don't even play football that much, so I don't believe you're in a position to criticise. Games are made for a variety of reasons, sokme to be realistic; others to be more fun, like Sega Smash Soccer. Being critical just lowers your expectations, just like what you think of the majority (if not all) of the PSX and PS2 games designed specifically for them.

>So ok I am bound to dislike the Playstation being a Ninty an all but
> people who say to me Playstation is mature I disagree, and those who say
> Playstation rules as it is more realistic than the others then I think to
> myself... that guy has got his priorities wrong.

Now you're definately being close minded. I don't mind peoples opinions but by only looking at one side of the story you're not only letting yourself down but others too by your biased view. I suggest you would take the time to actually play a variety of games from the playstation with a clear mind.

JCSuperStar. Whoo Yeah.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.