GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation for kids."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 15:14
Regular
Due to popular demand I am not going to write about Nintendo, instead I am going to attempt some controversy. For those who don't know the Playstation is a console for the less mature person, some say kids but I will stick with less mature...

Now before someone like Turbonutter starts complaining and giving me a list of adult titles I need to ask you are they really adult. "OH so cool I blew his head off, tee hee", yes games filled with gore has an age certificate slapped on it but the amount of people I know who buy games because heads get blown off is amazing. "Is the game any good" I ask, "yeah it's all right, but I managed to pull this fat old lady out of her car and then I filled her full of lead". Wahey how erm mature, it isn't that I find senseless violence dull but it isn't this mature adult image everyone believes the Playstation has.

And then there are those who laugh as a Nintendo fan buys Pokemon. Now all Nintendo do as regards Pokemon is cover the senseless violence with cute graphics and it becomes a kid’s game when theoretically it isn't anything different to what you see on the Playstation, just cuter. And then it thoroughly frustrates me when the claim Mario and Yoshi are children's characters whilst they brush Teletubbies and Tweenies under the carpet. I see the Playstation as a system for 12 year olds who giggle at the site of Lara Croft's breasts and find Fear Effect 2 cool because it has lesbians in it...

But then I get confused at the Playstation's obsession with realism. GT3 is a realistic car sim, ok well then thought about driving a car? Admittedly that isn't probably the best example FIFA (despite being multi-format) is a mature realistic football game, yet for some unknown reason people play FIFA rather than grabbing a football that costs £30 less and kicking it around in the park. Meanwhile Sega Smash Soccer is a football game where you beat up your opponents, immature it maybe but at least it is different from real life! I'd choose Mario Kart over F1 World Grand Prix as if I want to be an F1 driver i will learn to be meanwhile no matter where I look being able to drive around a desert firing shells at my mates is something I just can't do.

So ok I am bound to dislike the Playstation being a Ninty an all but people who say to me Playstation is mature I disagree, and those who say Playstation rules as it is more realistic than the others then I think to myself... that guy has got his priorities wrong.

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:14
Regular
Due to popular demand I am not going to write about Nintendo, instead I am going to attempt some controversy. For those who don't know the Playstation is a console for the less mature person, some say kids but I will stick with less mature...

Now before someone like Turbonutter starts complaining and giving me a list of adult titles I need to ask you are they really adult. "OH so cool I blew his head off, tee hee", yes games filled with gore has an age certificate slapped on it but the amount of people I know who buy games because heads get blown off is amazing. "Is the game any good" I ask, "yeah it's all right, but I managed to pull this fat old lady out of her car and then I filled her full of lead". Wahey how erm mature, it isn't that I find senseless violence dull but it isn't this mature adult image everyone believes the Playstation has.

And then there are those who laugh as a Nintendo fan buys Pokemon. Now all Nintendo do as regards Pokemon is cover the senseless violence with cute graphics and it becomes a kid’s game when theoretically it isn't anything different to what you see on the Playstation, just cuter. And then it thoroughly frustrates me when the claim Mario and Yoshi are children's characters whilst they brush Teletubbies and Tweenies under the carpet. I see the Playstation as a system for 12 year olds who giggle at the site of Lara Croft's breasts and find Fear Effect 2 cool because it has lesbians in it...

But then I get confused at the Playstation's obsession with realism. GT3 is a realistic car sim, ok well then thought about driving a car? Admittedly that isn't probably the best example FIFA (despite being multi-format) is a mature realistic football game, yet for some unknown reason people play FIFA rather than grabbing a football that costs £30 less and kicking it around in the park. Meanwhile Sega Smash Soccer is a football game where you beat up your opponents, immature it maybe but at least it is different from real life! I'd choose Mario Kart over F1 World Grand Prix as if I want to be an F1 driver i will learn to be meanwhile no matter where I look being able to drive around a desert firing shells at my mates is something I just can't do.

So ok I am bound to dislike the Playstation being a Ninty an all but people who say to me Playstation is mature I disagree, and those who say Playstation rules as it is more realistic than the others then I think to myself... that guy has got his priorities wrong.

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Good post and a very interesting topic Dringo!
I think that PS games are made to LOOK mature definitley, but now that you've mentioned it, i'm not so sure that ALL of their 'mature' games are as mature as we may think!

Games like Resident Evil are made to scare the pants off of you, and they do have that effect on people.
Games like GTA quite mature in content, but you play it for fun, and it doesn't seem to scare you or make you feel anything like what you get from the Resi Evil series.

Sure, there aren't many 'kiddy games' except Rugrats and Jak and Daxter, but mnay of their other, more 'adult-themed' games are actually fun and enjoyable to play, just like a 'kiddy game'!
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:54
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Since the past two years, the Playstation one- the world over has been aimed at young children 4-11 yrs rather than children in the older age group 12-17 yrs, look at the redesign of the console for a start and the numerous OFFICIAL bundles it had- for instance- The Tarzan Bundle, Emperors Groove Bundle and more recently the Harry Potter Bundle.
Look at the OFFICIAL Bundles in Japan- The Hello Kitty Bundle which is aimed at Nursery School Infants!!
Look at the games too in the past 4 years, with heavy focus on Disney Titles and so forth.
I think the PS was originally intended to be mature, back in its Nite Club WipEout haydays but after a year or so, that all changed, with it being heavely focused on the infant-Children market, Sony never admitted to it but its true, they where more children orientated than what Nintendo ever was, which is of course the reason for the systems huge success.
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:59
Regular
Good point there you monster from the hobbit.
Sun 03/03/02 at 16:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Personally, I think Pokemon is a very grown up game that deals with some very complex issues- notably animal cruelty.

As a wannabe Pokemon master you have to search high and low for the creatures in order to trap them in a ball far below EU standard sizes. You then have to force them to "train" in order to battle them against each other in something similar to a c***-fight.

To add more to the controversy, the rarer the creatures you capture the better!

Now, if that isn't gaming for adults, then what is?

Sonic
Sun 03/03/02 at 16:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Whether the PlayStation is for kids probably isn't debatable. Whether it was, is. But enough of that:

GT3 - Yeah. People like racing realistic cars. Millions upon millions, to be precise. Not everyone, in fact hardly anyone, can just decide to race a Dodge Viper GTS-R around a tight European circuit against 5 hungry competitors at a whim. Sure, driving a GTS-R is no comaprison to driving a simulation, but I frankly don't have a racing liscense and spare £250,000 lying around. £19.99 for the (now platinum) game seems much more appealing.

As for Pro Evo/FIFA? Same argument. Sure, getting a ball and kicking about is much easier than obtaining said Viper, but you still need to find 21 mates from somewhere, and a decent pitch. The great thing about Pro Evo is 8 mates crowded round a PS2 is just as fun as taking 8 (or mates) outside for a game of footah. Also, you can't play footah at virtually any time of day, and playing it while drunk is a bit pointless.
Sun 03/03/02 at 16:19
Regular
But what us the obsession with Realism? Why do you want to live out things that are possible?
Sun 03/03/02 at 16:27
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> But what us the obsession with Realism? Why do you want to live out things that
> are possible?

Good point. One of the reasons I play games is so that I can do things that I couldn't do realistically
Sun 03/03/02 at 17:22
"possibly impossible"
hm. Sony aren't daft and they can see a good marketing opportunity in the older of their two systems. If they just let the PSX die then it wouldn't have been so bad for them, but re-inventing it as a low cost alternative for the 'starter gamer' was genius and kept plenty of PSX units in circulation.

Sony know there are hundreds of games and systems out there in the second hand market too and they know that if they get enough people playing on their first system before they graduate to the current platform, they are more likely to stay with the brand name (plus the PS2 is backward compatible, so they would keep all their old games too)
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:12
Regular
ERm yes pb, yes,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.