GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Fri 24/05/13 at 11:22
Regular
PC gaming is just unlimited in it's purest form. I would only buy consoles for original ips which would be developed for PC instead if those consoles ceased to exist
Thu 23/05/13 at 23:25
"possibly impossible"
But console and PC gaming are different. You can't just have one or the other, it would be like Morecambe without Wise
Thu 23/05/13 at 22:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Alfonse wrote:
PS. They all look like garbage. PC master race

While I totally support Alfonse and the PC Master Race ... is SHIELD a viable PC alternative or just a 'streaming' device from Valve?
Thu 23/05/13 at 17:02
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:

When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era.

Is this a joke? The Wii came bundled with an original ip from launch.

To answer your original question, whoever captures the casual market wins. It's the way it's always been

PS. They all look like garbage. PC master race
Thu 23/05/13 at 14:41
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
iPlay? Not the IGN April Fools iPlay?

Someone needs to clear this up for me. I saw that April Fools thing & dismissed it. Then a few days ago I was reading what seemed like a serious article on the new XBox & it made reference to some kind of Apple box/console.
Thu 23/05/13 at 12:22
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]Nintendo go their own way, they have enough in the bank and decent sales of the 3DS not to worry. They play their own game. And if they're releasing the 'same games' what does that say about the annual COD, FIFA etc? People want updated games with new features as much as new IPs. I don't think Nintendo are going anywhere soon in terms of hardware.

From what I've heard Nintendo are struggling and the WiiU is bombing even without competition. The iPlay could do them some serious damage by cutting into their market.
As for Microsoft, I think that trying to cut into Sony's home entertainment market and ignoring that the XBox brand is hardcore gamers is a serious mistake.[/i]

iPlay? Not the IGN April Fools iPlay?

Nintendo are making a fair bit on 3DS, which was also doomed to failure until about 8 months in to its life when it really took off.

Wii U is selling, but very poorly. It needs an injection of games and some better PR. Nintendo, Sega, Activision, Ubisoft and others are supporting it with new titles. If it then takes off again the other third parties will come back.

What it doesn't need is the same games as the other 2 consoles, it needs original games from both Nintendo (it's getting these, see post-E3 announcement due out) and third parties (Sega Sonic exclusive deal isn't probably enough).
Thu 23/05/13 at 09:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nin wrote:
As for Microsoft, I think that trying to cut into Sony's home entertainment market and ignoring that the XBox brand is hardcore gamers is a serious mistake.

Yep, the Xbox brand has been phenomenally successful, if it ain't broke...

Chatting on XBL last night (quite a few girls on there these days) and the apathy towards both of the forthcoming consoles was surprising, most seemed totally disinterested. They seemed to want a more powerful version of what they had now, nothing more. The rumours surrounding restrictions on used games, possibly being unable to rent titles, no backwards compatibility of either games or peripherals and in the Xbox's case forced use/purchase of a motion controller were cited as the main reasons.

...as for the TV thing, no one seemed remotely interested.
Wed 22/05/13 at 23:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
Nintendo go their own way, they have enough in the bank and decent sales of the 3DS not to worry. They play their own game. And if they're releasing the 'same games' what does that say about the annual COD, FIFA etc? People want updated games with new features as much as new IPs. I don't think Nintendo are going anywhere soon in terms of hardware.

From what I've heard Nintendo are struggling and the WiiU is bombing even without competition. The iPlay could do them some serious damage by cutting into their market.
As for Microsoft, I think that trying to cut into Sony's home entertainment market and ignoring that the XBox brand is hardcore gamers is a serious mistake.
Wed 22/05/13 at 13:56
"possibly impossible"
I suppose PC gamers are just too busy fighting over whose CPU is better? ;)
Wed 22/05/13 at 10:59
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
You know what's really amusing?

I worked in the games retail business for around a decade, and I heard every complaint going. Kind of amusing that the common complaint with the 360 was;

"Why do I have to buy everything separately?"

Calculated Microsoft marketing is probably the answer, the premise being that people would "build" their own kit (the 360, everyman's console, designed around you, blah blah...). Not a bad idea, but it got really tiring to hear the same complaint over and over...

So, Microsoft's new console will include everything (X-Box 1, "one box, nothing else to add" blah blah...)... and the complaint now will be....

"Why do I have to pay for things I don't want?"

Console gamers are never happy....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.