GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo Tournaments"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 15:17
Regular
I wonder if there are any of us with X-Boxes that live in pretty close quarters. If so maybe we could organise LAN games of Halo. They are doing this sort of thing over in America, with forums on this type of subject.

Me and my friend are both getting launch X-Boxes, and have shared the cost of the link cable.

I also read somewhere in the Offical X-Box mag that they may try and organise LAN games.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:12
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/ support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

remove space between / and support.

Sounds like modem support is not available. They recommend 128K upstream, so a dual ISDN connection minimum. And Halo may need 256K, so only the 512K broadband will do. If you dont have enough speed, you would suffer serious lag and being kicked off the game e.t.c.

So if you have broadband and an X-Box and Halo, go to the url and play Halo online.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:35
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
So let me get this straight - you need to connect your X-Box into a PC which has 512k broadband to play Halo online, on your X-Box?

Outlaw
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Outlaw_UK wrote:
> So let me get this straight - you need to connect your X-Box into a PC which has
> 512k broadband to play Halo online, on your X-Box?

Outlaw

Yes. Dont forget the proper online X-Box service isnt available anywhere. This is a hack really, but it does work. Downside is that you do need broadband. And then you only get a few players as the bandwith needed for it is huge.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:42
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
But on the PS2 (sorry to bring this up) you can still play THPS3 online even without the proper net package - just plug the modem into the back of the console.

Outlaw.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Outlaw_UK wrote:
> But on the PS2 (sorry to bring this up) you can still play THPS3 online even
> without the proper net package - just plug the modem into the back of the
> console.

Outlaw.

Well its the front of the console. But THPS3 actually had online game modes. Halo doesnt. The software that you download on your PC, lets you host an online game like on a PC, with the chat e.t.c. To start the game a person needs to create a LAN game on there X-box. The software detects this through, as the console is linked to the PC. The other players can join in and start to play a LAN game. So really the X-Box is being fooled into hosting a LAN game over the net. Also 2 other games support this and thats Tony Hawks 2X and a Nascor game.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
So what I was saying is on the PS2 THPS3 was actually developed with online modes. It had the software to dial up e.t.c. But Halo doesnt have this.

On another note I think THPS3 actually failed with online modes, as the modems supported were hard to find, and in some cases didnt even work. If you had a broadband connection I think you could use it but for 56K, I dont know anyone who got it too work. On the PS2 forum there were loads of posts about it, but no one said they had it working.

I wish I had broadband so I could play Halo online.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:53
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Aaaah wicked!! Do you download the data (or whatever) onto your PC or X-Box hard drive?

Outlaw.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:57
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Outlaw_UK wrote:
> Aaaah wicked!! Do you download the data (or whatever) onto your PC or X-Box hard
> drive?

Outlaw.

I dont know. The main software is on the PC. But really the X-box thinks its on a LAN game, so really the incoming data would need to be stored on there. Of course as soon as a game is finished or the X-Box is turned off the data would be lost. So theres no worry of having 100's of mbs of wasted online gaming files.

Do you have broadband Outlaw?
Thu 28/02/02 at 20:04
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Should do when this BT thing pulls through. "DAAAAAAD!" :)

Outlaw.
Thu 28/02/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I was reading in the Official mag about SWAT Global Strike Team - which if its even vaaguely like SWAT 3 will rock - and its use of Microsofts headset to give voice commands to AI team mates, presumably you'll also be able to play online and have real time chat with your team.

Is it just me, or will this be ace over broadband instead of the crackly low quality mumblings you get with 56k....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.