GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband - on a go slow and can't see why..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/13 at 11:41
"Are you sure?"
I've got to know my Freeola broadband connection pretty well over the years but I can't see why I'm currently on a go slow.

I'm just about to raise a Support Ticket to see if Freeola can see a problem but thought I would post my stats here in case anyone else should be having similar problems.

I'm connected to the Faraday City of London IPSC node - currently only showing 53% usage so there shouldn't be a bottleneck there.

The VPs on my BT Exchange are green.
My error rates are low.

Here are my official speed test results which show my IP Profile is fine but my throughput isn't (tested on a wired connection):

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.98 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps

It was like this yesterday and I was hoping things would sort themselves out for today. Perhaps my Radius Profile is slowing me down?

#scratches head
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/04/13 at 09:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh dear, we will have to watch this space then Hmmm
Fri 12/04/13 at 11:01
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I see if I can get someone to get some more info for you Hmmm. Downgrading the node bandwidth is not something we were aware of and I'm wondering why the same thing isn't happening across all nodes. Perhaps they're doing one at a time.
Fri 12/04/13 at 11:24
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles I'd appreciate that.

NB. Remember the other month I mentioned about Freeola looking into reselling TT/CPW LLU ?

If something is going on here with Enta 20CN perhaps now would be a good time to look at this. Even my tiny exchange has this as it's only LLU provider so the coverage could work well for Freeola.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/04/13 at 12:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I believe this was/is being looked into. Can't say more than that I'm afraid.

Regarding 20CN, there seems to be a lack of info regarding exchanges like yours and the removal of IPSC. No mention of 21CN upgrade dates anywhere. Seems to be the case with a lot of rural exchanges. I'm guessing BT are waiting until they have secured the extra BDUK funding.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is you are surrounded by exchanges on 21CN so the necessary links aren't far away.

Edit: Removed ;-)
Fri 12/04/13 at 16:21
"Are you sure?"
Just to add to this in case things are related or others are seeing similar issues...

This week I've also been having some FTP problems - I'm mostly working on a site on Standard webserver 5.

My normally rock solid FTP using Filezilla has been showing failed transfers - the log shows 'timeout'.

Once things start going pear-shaped I get issues with "too many IP connections" etc. and have to close Filezilla and (I'm guessing) wait for my session to timeout before retrying.

I'm mostly only FTPing small HTML files (20KB) and the occasional 300KB pdf - nothing spectacular!

This is the related Ticket 187665

I'm not having a very good week :¬(
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/04/13 at 20:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
Edit: Removed ;-)

That's a shame ... why was the reference to Biggin Hill, Orpington and Sevenoaks removed?
Fri 12/04/13 at 21:40
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
Sometimes you can have too much info on the internet.
There are some funny people out there!

Thanks for your help.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/04/13 at 22:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh really ;¬)

EDIT:

Just so it's more in keeping with its 'misuse'

#Oh really ;¬)
Thu 18/04/13 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
I see if I can get someone to get some more info for you Hmmm. Downgrading the node bandwidth is not something we were aware of and I'm wondering why the same thing isn't happening across all nodes. Perhaps they're doing one at a time.

To add to this...

I've just been connecting my next door neighbours 60" Samsung SMART TV(!) to the internet and while I was there I checked the status of their Freeola* Broadband like you do

I was surprised to see they are still connected via the Faraday Node and haven't been moved to Stepneygreen like me!?

Can Freeola look into this and see why this has happened please?

Faraday is currently running at 68% and Stepneygreen 87%
But I am pleased to say I am currently getting my normal IP Profile throughput :¬)

So I'm wondering has my connection been moved or is it just Entanet reporting the wrong info?

Let me know if you need more details.

* Another one of my referrals!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 24/04/13 at 18:09
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
apologies if slightly off-topic...

I'm having a really "off" day today - my connection keeps, well, disconnecting! I will check if it's the router or filter etc, just want to see if anyone else is having similar issues. nothing displayed on the status page...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.