GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband - on a go slow and can't see why..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/13 at 11:41
"Are you sure?"
I've got to know my Freeola broadband connection pretty well over the years but I can't see why I'm currently on a go slow.

I'm just about to raise a Support Ticket to see if Freeola can see a problem but thought I would post my stats here in case anyone else should be having similar problems.

I'm connected to the Faraday City of London IPSC node - currently only showing 53% usage so there shouldn't be a bottleneck there.

The VPs on my BT Exchange are green.
My error rates are low.

Here are my official speed test results which show my IP Profile is fine but my throughput isn't (tested on a wired connection):

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.98 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps

It was like this yesterday and I was hoping things would sort themselves out for today. Perhaps my Radius Profile is slowing me down?

#scratches head
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 18/05/13 at 11:40
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
As far as I'm aware, when we do a line test it tries to test all parts of the system apart from your equipment. So when everything is within the margins the system just returns that any possible problem must be in the bit it can't, your equipment.
I'm thinking the same as you though, due to BT re-routing you you're now on a more congested node that perhaps needs a bandwidth upgrade. I don't know whether that is in the pipeline though I'm afraid.
Sat 18/05/13 at 09:18
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the reply Eccles.

I'm surprised it was BT you queried about my throughput slowdowns and not Entanet. My throughput is fine until Entanet's node usage starts to enter the red. As far as I am aware the capacity here is nothing to do with BT but just what Freeola via Entanet provide.

Glad to hear you are no longer saying it's a 'customer side' issue though. Rather worrying for others that your test reported that, as others may think it is their kit/internal wiring at fault.

Not the answer I was expecting but as least I know where I stand.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 17/05/13 at 23:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Here you go:

The node usage is down to how BT backhaul the connection from the exchange. It is not common, but they do sometimes change routings from exchanges, which may then change the POP they pass through.

So your change of node is probably simply due to the fact that BT have changed the routing for the VC you're on. Your neighbour is probably on a different VC, which is still routed via Faraday.

I have also heard back regarding the slow downs and all BT can put it down to is local congestion as you line is 'within performance limits'.
Fri 17/05/13 at 18:00
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
...I've just done a quick test on your line Hmmm and it's reporting the same as before, customer side problem. Nothing is flagging up within BT's network? Does the speed improve after 7pm? I assume you've done all the usual equipment/line checks your end!

"Customer side problem" - That's the first I've heard that!?

My Support Ticket (187684) said:
"The low throughput on your line appears to be occurring because of a heavy load on the network nationwide, with it being the Easter holiday period."

My connection is fine *touches wood*
I'm now currently getting near(ish) my full IP Profile (BT results):

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.11 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4.5 Mbps

It looks like it's earlier in the day (for a LONG time) that Entanet had capacity problems - rather like the bad old days...

Router stats for today:
Uptime: 0 days, 9:26:03
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 55.02 / 530.12
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 48.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 6.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 34,094
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 382
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 306

Entanet have told I have to ask via Freeola why I am seeing issues :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 17/05/13 at 17:04
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I believe we did ask Hmmm, but no answer was forthcoming. Perhaps there was no real reason as such, just a shuffle of connections. I will check again for you.and while I'm at it I'll give them a poke regarding the slow down.

Edit: I've just done a quick test on your line Hmmm and it's reporting the same as before, customer side problem. Nothing is flagging up within BT's network? Does the speed improve after 7pm? I assume you've done all the usual equipment/line checks your end!
Fri 17/05/13 at 13:25
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
I see if I can get someone to get some more info for you Hmmm. Downgrading the node bandwidth is not something we were aware of and I'm wondering why the same thing isn't happening across all nodes. Perhaps they're doing one at a time.

Hmmm... wrote:

To add to this...
I've just been connecting my next door neighbours 60" Samsung SMART TV(!) to the internet and while I was there I checked the status of their Freeola* Broadband like you do

I was surprised to see they are still connected via the Faraday Node and haven't been moved to Stepneygreen like me!?

Can Freeola look into this and see why this has happened please?

Faraday is currently running at 68% and Stepneygreen 87%
But I am pleased to say I am currently getting my normal IP Profile throughput :¬)

So I'm wondering has my connection been moved or is it just Entanet reporting the wrong info?

Let me know if you need more details.

* Another one of my referrals!

---------------------------------------------

Just to update that I'm still having capacity/speed issues :¬(

Currently getting 0.94 download on a 4.5 IP Profile (6.1 sync) (BT Speedtest).

Can anyone from Freeola say why I appear to have been moved from the Faraday node (@75%) to Stepneygreen (@92%) when my neighbour's connection is still on Faraday?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 24/04/13 at 19:51
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@dl well I've finally got back in after borrowing a router from my neighbour. that's a red herring though as I just to the point of setting it up and got a good internet connection again. mostly my freeola connection is solid but I don't want too many more days like today. I can only presume it was the internet connection at issue since router settings/cables etc are all the same when it's working ok

of course someone will come back and say that's not 100% guaranteed citing loose connections/ghosts in machines et al...I know I know...and I think I will buy a new router to ensure it's easier to eliminate that from the equation next time!
Wed 24/04/13 at 19:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
webcity1 wrote:
apologies if slightly off-topic...

I\'m having a really \"off\" day today - my connection keeps, well, disconnecting! I will check if it\'s the router or filter etc, just want to see if anyone else is having similar issues. nothing displayed on the status page...

Hi webcity1

I've had this type of issue for over a year now! Some days, some weeks are good then all goes 'pear-shaped'! My original router was a D-Link and all was well, then I changed to a Netgear N150 and now I run a Netgear N300 (DGND3300) and now running on ADSL2+.

All the wireless connections will connect and display a page immediately but the wired connection will require a 'page refresh' to display the page correctly! Gaming doesn't seem to be an issue, but the router does seem to loose all knowledge of what it's supposed to do, frequently! Thankfully, I have backup router settings to re-install a 'working steup'!

I'm also running with the latest FF.
Wed 24/04/13 at 18:09
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
apologies if slightly off-topic...

I'm having a really "off" day today - my connection keeps, well, disconnecting! I will check if it's the router or filter etc, just want to see if anyone else is having similar issues. nothing displayed on the status page...
Thu 18/04/13 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
I see if I can get someone to get some more info for you Hmmm. Downgrading the node bandwidth is not something we were aware of and I'm wondering why the same thing isn't happening across all nodes. Perhaps they're doing one at a time.

To add to this...

I've just been connecting my next door neighbours 60" Samsung SMART TV(!) to the internet and while I was there I checked the status of their Freeola* Broadband like you do

I was surprised to see they are still connected via the Faraday Node and haven't been moved to Stepneygreen like me!?

Can Freeola look into this and see why this has happened please?

Faraday is currently running at 68% and Stepneygreen 87%
But I am pleased to say I am currently getting my normal IP Profile throughput :¬)

So I'm wondering has my connection been moved or is it just Entanet reporting the wrong info?

Let me know if you need more details.

* Another one of my referrals!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.