GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wasn't too impressed with the Getaway"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:37
Regular
For those of you that have played the demo, were you really really amazed by it. I was expecting it to be like 10X better than Vice City but it wasn't. Sure the graphics were, but the controls and camera angles were awful and the way the cars were handled were a bit too realistic it ruined it.

The gun fighting was excellent though.

Your thoughts?
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:03
Regular
"I dont like tagline"
The things i didnt like were: -
1)aiming- at first i found quitye hard to aim.
2)controls- these take quite a bit of getting used to.
3)Camera- this can get really annoying if you run around a corner too quickly and someone is there you cant see what happening for a couple of seconds.

Other than those problems i think the game is excellent i also think that it is a completely differet kind of game to GTA3 (have not played GTA VC but i guess its the same kind of gameplay). Another problem that may occur is the lengh of the game 25 missions does not really sound alot and in the demo you get to play 2 missions and that takes about 15 minutes to complete. Having said that there is free roaming mode so i can see why some may say its like GTA VC.
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:48
Regular
Possum in a bottle wrote:
> For those of you that have played the demo, were you really really
> amazed by it. I was expecting it to be like 10X better than Vice City
> but it wasn't. Sure the graphics were, but the controls and camera
> angles were awful and the way the cars were handled were a bit too
> realistic it ruined it.
>
> The gun fighting was excellent though.
>
> Your thoughts?

Graphics, 10X better than Vice City?!! On the demo?!!!! You're avin' a larf' aint' ya?!! LOL!! All I can say is that you haven't played Vice City then. TG is just a load of flat, dull, blurry textures on flat buildings. They is no depth or rooftop to 99% of the buildings, and therefore not many back-ally rat runs like you get in VC. Game is slow, there is lots of pop-up, pixellation, clipping etc. Very poor indeed.

I agree that the camera angles and controls were awful, but these have been fixed to a small degree in the final game. Car handling is just different to VC, but workable, and much better in the final game. Anyhow, these are also things that you get used to and better at handling with time. Time cannot improve graphics though.
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:20
"Uzi Lover"
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> Nah, Mario Sunshine took that title.

That's another contender.

For me The Getaway looks good in the on-foot department but the in-car bit doesn't look all so great.

But what do I know? Most of you have the demo unlike me.
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:08
Regular
"  "
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> I've predicted it to be the biggest let down of the year.

Nah, Mario Sunshine took that title.
Thu 05/12/02 at 12:04
Regular
At first it seemed a little slow but once you get going things start to speed up a little. I miss changing the camera to see how badly you've smashed your car up like you can in GTA. The shooting parts are really good. The blood actually stays on your clothes where you were shot. When your injured you walk like a complete cripple. I also found the shotgun and blasted someone with it and watched the blood splat up the wall. That impressed me. Many of the details are superb. You can see the names on the back of cars as well as viewing the details on the beer cans in the warehouse.
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:54
Regular
"aliens exist"
the cars were too realistic, errrr wot?
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I thought the demo was great, I'm getting it from SR for free anyway so I can't complain :D

I am having my doubts however that it'll be as good as Vice City, especially after reading the preview in PSW which talks about a couple of problems with the game. In the end though I don't think I'll be disappointed with it, and in fact I'm forward to it immensely.

And besides it's not often you actually get to play a game set in England, it makes a nice change, and you can actually drive on the left hand side of the road for once.
Wed 04/12/02 at 23:14
Cant please everyone i guess.

I think its look brilliant and cant wait to play the full game.
Wed 04/12/02 at 23:13
Regular
"Touched!"
Hmm i aint so sure about the game now, i was going to order it from SR in the morning but i'm having second thoughts now.
Wed 04/12/02 at 23:12
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I loved it. Thought it was different to GTA. Also the gun battles were nicely done. Overall a top looking game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.